Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What party will u vote on May 6..?
Tory 8 36.36%
Labour 6 27.27%
Lib Dems 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:40 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,970 times

Advertisements

I still feel sad about the low participation...

I thought that CDF had at least 1K UK citizens viewers...

We should have 200 votes by now...

Anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
There's not enough of a difference between the "big 3" to make a choice.

They're all the same, really.

On a local level, my MP was elected on the strength of one major policy, which he broke just a few weeks after election, so I certainly won't be voting for him.
As yet, I haven't had any campaign stuff from any of the parties to say what they're planning locally, because that's what I'll base my final vote on.
If asked, none of the "big3" can tell me what they're actually going to do, all they can do is tell me how bad the other parties policies are.
It's like being back in the playground again.

The SNP, well, I'm not sure they're too much different.
It worries me that they want Scottish independence, rather than devolution, which we have now.
Because Scotland has no real industry, I'm not sure we would contribute enough to the world to make it viable as an independent country.
IIRC, if we keep the mineral rights, and fishing rights, and the money which comes from them, then Scotland would be one of the richest countries in the world, but I think everyone knows Westminster won't let them go.

Personally, I think it's BNP for me, unless someone comes out with some great local plans.
Fishing and mineral rights - Unless an Independent Scotland left the EU then you have no rights at all to the fish in your coastal waters. The French and Spanish stole those from us as the price of entry in to the Common Market. By mineral rights I assume you mean North Sea oil and gas. That's running out fast and over 40% would fall in English waters (the border at sea would follow the land border between the countries which runs SW to NE so much of the water to the East 'side' of Scotland would fall to be English (The price of not keeping hold of Berwick I'm afraid).

Old 04-18-2010, 07:15 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,117,824 times
I quite like the conservatives policies, anyone else?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:48 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I quite like the conservatives policies, anyone else?

No. Here is my problem with them - Cameron is one of the most anti-European party leaders for a generation. The world is now a place where emerging economies in the east, the rise of China vs US, and the demise of our economic influence means that we are in danger of falling from the top six economies.

Cameron's economic explanations of the financial crisis, and subsequent solutions have been pathetic at best. If elected he will go to the EU with certain demands (of which are on the website), and the EU will happily tell him to get stuffed. Obama won't give him the time of day and we will find ourselves more isolated. The pound is already in freefall, our manufacturing is basically non-existent, and we don't spend enough on R&D, or new technology. Cameron hasn't even acknowledged these issues nor does he give any vision of how he intends to lead the country.

It's all well and good to oppose the NI tax increase but what are his plans to sustain our NHS that he loves so much? What are his plans to improve the dreadful service that it offers?

I immediately decided not to vote for Cameron (I was already 90% there to be honest) when he said this about Britain's debt.. "if you are overdrawn on your bank account, you can't keep spending money and expect to get into credit". If that's his understanding of how an economy works he should be in high school, not running for Prime Minister.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:08 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,808 times
I agree with you Ian, Cameron is a political lightwieght.

My particular gripe with the Tories however is their underlying negative attitude toward the NHS. I watched Tory MEP Daniel Hannan on Fox news telling the American people that the NHS was "not fit for purpose", and that other Conservatives secretly agreed with him that the NHS should go.

The Young Briton's Foundation is a right wing training organisation for young Conservatives. The officals of this group described the NHS as ' the biggest waste of money in the UK'. These are the tory activists of tomorrow, I for one don't trust the Tory's with the NHS, do you?

Old 04-19-2010, 01:10 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,117,824 times
So who do you think will do a better job (policies?)

Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 AM

210 posts, read 502,737 times
Lib Dem.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:24 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,929,519 times
I'm not sure exactly how it works, my statement was only a general one, rather than quantified.

The point is more that Scotland has no real industry left, and the only real product we have left to sell is intellectual, via the people.
But, even if we only wind up with 60% of the oil money, it's better than nothing. I think the vast majority of North sea oil is piped ashore in Scotland, so 'd imagine they'd receive tax revenue for it.
As for the EU, I don't know if the SNP would pull out or not. I'd expect probably not.

I haven't read the SNP's independence plans, so I'm not sure exactly how they plan to pull it off, but I admit I'm more than a little sceptical about full independence.

Maybe in the 70's we could have made it, but now I'm not so sure. I know the industries were in decline anyway, but Thatcher's tories pretty much stripped Scotland bare.

TBH, I'm not even sure I see what benefits devolution has brought us, other than a figurehead parliament, and a whole bunch more highly paid, publicly funded jobs for politicians and civil servants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Fishing and mineral rights - Unless an Independent Scotland left the EU then you have no rights at all to the fish in your coastal waters. The French and Spanish stole those from us as the price of entry in to the Common Market. By mineral rights I assume you mean North Sea oil and gas. That's running out fast and over 40% would fall in English waters (the border at sea would follow the land border between the countries which runs SW to NE so much of the water to the East 'side' of Scotland would fall to be English (The price of not keeping hold of Berwick I'm afraid).

Old 04-19-2010, 07:11 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,970 times
Hmm,this poll is not accurate of course,but it does show the tendency of people to vote LibDems...

Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,929,519 times
I haven't voted in this poll because i wouldn't vote for any of the 3 options.

Look how many others on the thread have replied "none of the above", we said from the start your poll was flawed, because there aren't enough options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
I still feel sad about the low participation...

I thought that CDF had at least 1K UK citizens viewers...

We should have 200 votes by now...

Anyway...

Last edited by bobman; 04-19-2010 at 07:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom