Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What party will u vote on May 6..?
Tory 8 36.36%
Labour 6 27.27%
Lib Dems 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:25 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,970 times

Advertisements

The none of the above crowd are extremists & radicals...
I want to poll mainstream Brits...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,929,519 times
The SNP/Cymru aren't extremists or radicals ?

We keep telling you what is wrong with your poll, and you keep complaining you aren't getting the results you want.

One more time.

Your poll does not represent enough of the parties for "mainstream Brits" to give you a representative sample of the population.

Even if you'd had the forethought to put a fourth box with "other" as a choice, it gives us more options.

If you don't like our answers, then close your poll and take it somewhere else.
The public have spoken, and have spoken clearly, but the pollmaker isn't listening

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post

Old 04-19-2010, 01:56 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
But what is mainstream?

Lets take the SNP as an example. Being Scottish Nationalist they do not contest seats outside Scotland.

But, in terms of the popular vote in Scotland, the SNP poll on a par with the other "mainstream" parties.

2005 General election ..................... 17.7% of popular vote
2007 Scottish Parliament election ..... 32.9% of popular vote
2007 Council areas election ............. 29.7% of popular vote
2009 European Parliament election ... 29.1% of popular vote

So, clearly, "mainstream Brits" living in Scotland are as likely to vote for the SNP as they are for any of the other 3 parties.

So, why is this important to the UK as a whole?

Firstly, because Labour have always relied on a solid block of seats in Scotland to underpin their majorities in England. An increase in the SNP vote from 17.7% to 30% will put primarily Labour seats at risk (the Tories only have one seat in Scotland).

Secondly in a hung parliament, small parties can wield great power. An SNP with 20 seats (their target) can effectively act as kingmaker.

The above scenario plays out elsewhere notably in Northern Ireland and in Wales. The UK is not similar to the USA where just two parties totally dominate the political landscape. The UK is far more diverse than that hence the reason your poll is not having much success.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:58 PM

I think we already tried to explain that, jaggy, but he's not listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
But what is mainstream?

Lets take the SNP as an example. Being Scottish Nationalist they do not contest seats outside Scotland.

But, in terms of the popular vote in Scotland, the SNP poll on a par with the other "mainstream" parties.

2005 General election ..................... 17.7% of popular vote
2007 Scottish Parliament election ..... 32.9% of popular vote
2007 Council areas election ............. 29.7% of popular vote
2009 European Parliament election ... 29.1% of popular vote

So, clearly, "mainstream Brits" living in Scotland are as likely to vote for the SNP as they are for any of the other 3 parties.

So, why is this important to the UK as a whole?

Firstly, because Labour have always relied on a solid block of seats in Scotland to underpin their majorities in England. An increase in the SNP vote from 17.7% to 30% will put primarily Labour seats at risk (the Tories only have one seat in Scotland).

Secondly in a hung parliament, small parties can wield great power. An SNP with 20 seats (their target) can effectively act as kingmaker.

The above scenario plays out elsewhere notably in Northern Ireland and in Wales. The UK is not similar to the USA where just two parties totally dominate the political landscape. The UK is far more diverse than that hence the reason your poll is not having much success.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:35 PM

I am listening...

In the last national elections,the big 3 parties got 90% + of the vote...
They are the parties which realistically form governments...
So,no offence but I want the poll mainstream & pragmatic...

Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 PM

Percentage of the vote means nothing in this country.

It's the majority of seats which count.
The other parties, whether you like it or not, will take seats off the big three, and, as Jaggy says, could be crucial in the event of a hung parliament.

If you're listening, then you don't understand

Quote:
I am listening...

In the last national elections,the big 3 parties got 90% + of the vote...
They are the parties which realistically form governments...
So,no offence but I want the poll mainstream & pragmatic...

Old 04-19-2010, 03:08 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
I'm done trying to explain to you Harry. Suggest you take your poll to a more "mainstream" site.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:12 PM

Don't shoot the pollster,u spoil the myth of " English politeness"...

Even if some seats are taken by minor parties,it is the big 3 which will make any coalition...Right..?

I know about British politics,I think only 1 time after WW2 there was a Lab-Lib coalition...

Old 04-19-2010, 03:17 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,276 times
I find it interesting that the latest YouGov poll has the Lib Dems in the lead, +1% over the Tories. Within the margin of error, of course, but certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Clegg now needs to be consistent in his performance in the next two debates and successfully defend against the Labour/Tory attacks that he is already beginning to get, and the Lib Dems could easily be the first place party in May (although I think either way, it's going to be a hung parliament/minority government).

Old 04-19-2010, 03:18 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,276 times
Quote:
Don't shoot the pollster,u spoil the myth of " English politeness"...

Even if some seats are taken by minor parties,it is the big 3 which will make any coalition...Right..?

I know about British politics,I think only 1 time after WW2 there was a Lab-Lib coalition...
Not necessarily. If the Big Three are all tied or near tied with each other after the polls close, which is looking more and more likely, then the smaller parties will be chased after to form coalitions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom