Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 03:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times

Advertisements

What this thread needs is some Tone Loc videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 03:12 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The urban strips far outnumber the strip malls and other "un urban" areas you cherry pick through.
It's only non-cherry picking to you if we choose the most flattering commercial strip (as if any commerical strip won't have storefronts) possible. Is this or is this not in the "core? And do Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, or Chicago have places that look like this in their cores?

It doesn't matter how big your core is if it looks like that with an occasional two blocks of urban walkability thrown in. If you love LA, then you should really love Arlington. At least Arlington has better public transit.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
-Eric Eidlin, "The Worst of All Worlds: Los Angeles, California and the Emerging Reality of Dense Sprawl"

-Interview with Donald Shoup, former Chair of the UCLA Department of Urban Planning

This is the "active street life," "tightly knit neighborhoods," and "urban density" they were talking about. An ecosystem of tightly-connected, highly walkable neighborhoods where you can turn corner after corner without seeing a series of streets that look like Queens Chapel Road in Chillum, MD.

Brooklyn, NY - Google Maps

Washington, DC - Google Maps

boston, ma - Google Maps
I'd love to see where anything like this exists in LA: Queens Chapel Road in Chillum, MD - Google Maps

Hyperbole is really hurting your argument.

It's 5 miles outside the center of DC.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Again, you and your lord and savior Donald Shoup's criticisms of L.A.'s urban form are irrelevant. They're opinions, nothing more. What is relevant is that Los Angeles has the second densest core after NYC (surprise, surprise) and is the densest UA in the country. No appeals to authority needed, just the facts. Pretending that D.C. (which struggles to be as dense as the San Fernando Valley, no joke.) is more urban than L.A. proper is comical.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
What this thread needs is some Tone Loc videos.
I'm still waiting on the video where some guy walks out of his out into the streets, walks to the corner store, stops to talk to a group of his friends standing on the corner, etc. I mean, in a city of 3.7 million people, there has to be one person who's made such a video, right? Do guys even hang on the corners in the big urban, walkable metropolis of LA? They probably drive to the corners.

If Jill Scott had made her video for "A Long Walk" in Los Angeles, would she have had to rename it "A Long Drive?"

Old 04-20-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Again, you and your lord and savior Donald Shoup's criticisms of L.A.'s urban form are irrelevant. They're opinions, nothing more. What is relevant is that Los Angeles has the second densest core after NYC (surprise, surprise) and is the densest UA in the country. No appeals to authority needed, just the facts. Pretending that D.C. (which struggles to be as dense as the San Fernando Valley, no joke.) is more urban than L.A. proper is comical.
Right...

A guy who's lived in Los Angeles longer than most of us have been alive, studies urban planning for a living, and tours the country giving speeches on urban planning has completely irrelevant opinions when it comes to LA's urbanity. I'm seriously curious as to why people aren't paying you guys to write books, write articles and give lectures. Certainly your opinion is more relevant than his.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:33 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
It's only non-cherry picking to you if we choose the most flattering commercial strip (as if any commerical strip won't have storefronts) possible. Is this or is this not in the "core? And do Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, or Chicago have places that look like this in their cores?

It doesn't matter how big your core is if it looks like that with an occasional two blocks of urban walkability thrown in. If you love LA, then you should really love Arlington. At least Arlington has better public transit.
Holy parking lots, Boston! boston, ma - Google Maps

Nice suburbs, Philly: philadelphia, pa - Google Maps

Not you too, Chicago?!?!: chicago, il - Google Maps

Old 04-20-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Holy parking lots, Boston! boston, ma - Google Maps

Nice suburbs, Philly: philadelphia, pa - Google Maps

Not you too, Chicago?!?!: chicago, il - Google Maps
The airport? Really? Let's not talk about single-family home BLOCKS and NEIGHBORHOODS right smack dab in the middle of the L.A. core. LOL.

hancock park los angeles - Google Maps

Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
I'm still waiting on the video where some guy walks out of his out into the streets, walks to the corner store, stops to talk to a group of his friends standing on the corner, etc. I mean, in a city of 3.7 million people, there has to be one person who's made such a video, right? Do guys even hang on the corners in the big urban, walkable metropolis of LA? They probably drive to the corners.

If Jill Scott had made her video for "A Long Walk" in Los Angeles, would she have had to rename it "A Long Drive?"
I'm not sure why this was directed at me. I genuinely think a 25 year old rap video would finally advance this discussion in a meaningful way.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I'm not sure why this was directed at me. I genuinely think a 25 year old rap video would finally advance this discussion in a meaningful way.
So this is a pretty good reflection of LA's "walkable" urbanity? Darting across a six-lane road that resembles Peachtree Street in Buckhead.

Where's My Crosswalk? - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning