Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 09:27 AM

466 posts, read 982,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
[*]At what price point would gas have to be before you gave up driving on a DAILY basis?
Probably in the $8-$10 range. And in all honesty, it's not going to get to that point anytime soon.

Quote:
[*]I get it. You can use sarcasm, but I can't. Makes sense now.
Oh OK now it's sarcasm. Sure came off that way.

Quote:
[*]That sounds great but 5-10 dollars more to fill up at a time really adds up for most people.
I'm not talking about at a time, I'm talking about per month.

Quote:
[*]For any particular reason?
Well, for starters, public transportation in Rochester is terrible. And it's filled with sketchy people. I don't like having to travel to somewhere just get on public transport. It's easier to walk out my backdoor and get in my car. I don't like being crowded. I've used to subway in NYC a fair amount. I don't like the dirtiness, the smelliness, standing there waiting for a train etc. I just don't like it. Being in my own car, and in my own environment, is so much better for me.

Quote:
[*]Because I currently live in America and want the FREEDOM to choose how I get places, I should move to Europe???
No, but you are saying you want everyone to be in a city center and everyone to take public transportation to make it cheaper. That's just not going to happen. The USA is a car centric country. Our cities and towns are designed that way and it's not going to change. Which is why I mentioned Europe, as it seems to more suit what you enjoy.

Quote:
[*]I'm glad you use your yard. My family didn't use it enough to justify having it. Besides that, have you ever lived inside a city? Or been to different types of cities? Where I came from there were houses with big yards, pools, pool houses, multicar garages, boats, seclusion, peace and quiet... all within city limits.[/list]
I have lived in the city of Rochester. And I have traveled to many other cities. I do know those types of neighborhoods exist, and they are nice. In fact, I would consider living in one here in Rochester but the Rochester school district is one of the worst in the state. The suburb I live in is one of the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Since when do the suburbs not consist on subdivisions?! The suburbs in Houston do, the suburb I grew up in do, the one my aunt lived it did, the ones in New Orleans do, etc.
The vast majority of suburban neighborhoods here are not subdivisions.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Jesus, I guess a man isn't allowed an opinion anymore without a bunch of people trying to tear his opinion apart.

I said it, Subdivisions with off tan box housing in non-walkable areas are soulless and characterless to me.

My parents live in one of these soulless and characterless neighborhoods. I grew up in one. Must think less of my own parents too Quit analyzing a person's opinion too much. I know many suburbanites that criticized the urban neighborhoods I have lived in. The parking, the people, etc. Suburbanites criticize the city on a daily basis, but get all riled up when somebody says that their subdivision is a soulless place void of any character or style.

I say it as I see it.
Maybe, there is some, residual teen angst(rebellion), still directed subconsciously towards your progenitors, I can't be sure, though. Albert Einstein, thought, that young adults would sometimes become atheist, because of their rebellion from their parents' religion. Maybe, this is the same thing we're seeing from the progeny as they leave their respective cul-de-sacs and head toward the new,hip,full of soul and unending character filled cities!

Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM

504 posts, read 1,270,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Jesus, I guess a man isn't allowed an opinion anymore without a bunch of people trying to tear his opinion apart.

I said it, Subdivisions with off tan box housing in non-walkable areas are soulless and characterless to me.

My parents live in one of these soulless and characterless neighborhoods. I grew up in one. Must think less of my own parents too Quit analyzing a person's opinion too much. I know many suburbanites that criticized the urban neighborhoods I have lived in. The parking, the people, etc. Suburbanites criticize the city on a daily basis, but get all riled up when somebody says that their subdivision is a soulless place void of any character or style.

I say it as I see it.
Can you define "soulless" and "characterless" for us?

Old 12-09-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
I've been wondering this myself. Suburbs are "soulless". That's interesting, considering the area I grew up in and the area I currently live in. In both cases, my suburban neighborhood was full of caring people who made/make it a pleasure to live there. Kids on the street are all friends and play. Parents are friends. Neighbors look after each other. If I'm out of town my neighbors cut my grass. Or shovel my driveway. I do the same for them. We throw neighborhood parties. The whole street is a family atmosphere. If that's "soulless" then I appreciate living in a soulless place.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:14 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Areas where every house looks nearly the same, all areas are uniformly planned and developers razed nearly all trees. A plastic feeling where most people do the exact same things, drive the exact same types of cars, and go to the exact same vacation destinations.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:20 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,079 times
Quote:

This video sums it up

Weeds intro Season 1 original good quality - YouTube

This one is a little longer and has more lyrics, but both of these songs are from the 60's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONEYGU_7EqU

Old 12-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Areas where every house looks nearly the same, all areas are uniformly planned and developers razed nearly all trees. A plastic feeling where most people do the exact same things, drive the exact same types of cars, and go to the exact same vacation destinations.
Lol what horrible generalizations. Do you honestly believe that?

Old 12-09-2011, 12:40 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
(1)Probably in the $8-$10 range. And in all honesty, it's not going to get to that point anytime soon.

(2)Oh OK now it's sarcasm. Sure came off that way.

(3)I'm not talking about at a time, I'm talking about per month.

(4)Well, for starters, public transportation in Rochester is terrible. And it's filled with sketchy people. I don't like having to travel to somewhere just get on public transport. It's easier to walk out my backdoor and get in my car. I don't like being crowded. I've used to subway in NYC a fair amount. I don't like the dirtiness, the smelliness, standing there waiting for a train etc. I just don't like it. Being in my own car, and in my own environment, is so much better for me.

(5)No, but you are saying you want everyone to be in a city center and everyone to take public transportation to make it cheaper. That's just not going to happen. The USA is a car centric country. Our cities and towns are designed that way and it's not going to change. Which is why I mentioned Europe, as it seems to more suit what you enjoy.

(6)I have lived in the city of Rochester. And I have traveled to many other cities. I do know those types of neighborhoods exist, and they are nice. In fact, I would consider living in one here in Rochester but the Rochester school district is one of the worst in the state. The suburb I live in is one of the best.
1. So it's not going to get that way anytime soon, correct? So that would imply that it will get there at some point in time, correct? Does that attitude help or hurt our children, and future children? "It's not a problem yet, so I don't care!" Is that the attitude you have? I ask because it seems like that.

2. If I go () and you go () and you meant it to be sarcastic, then you could assume that a comment(s) followed by a () from me means that I'm being sarcastic and I really want you to know that.

3. Your gasoline expenditures are ALWAYS within $5-$10 for a month? Unless gas prices in Rochester are as constant as a metronome, I'm going to have to do one of these (). Or maybe you are the most predictable and routine driven individual in the world . A case of spontaneity once a month could certainly add more than $10 to the allotted gas budget.

4. And you know what? The vast majority of public transportation is terrible around the country, save a few major cities (and even then it could be a little bit hazy). Why? Because the people like you, who "don't like being crowded...don't like the dirtiness, the smelliness, standing there waiting" don't ride public transportation! Whether for the reasons you mentioned or for the simple fact that it's easier to drive to your suburban destination, the reason why public transit sucks in the suburbs and a majority of cities is because a majority of the people living there feel like you do.

5. I said if the number of people riding the trains doubled, I would be paying less. I don't think I ever said I wanted everyone to live in the city. And yes, I enjoy walking. I did not like walking when I lived in Indy's suburbs. Nothing to look at.

I could walk 10 minutes in my old city and pass maybe a dozen businesses, and that was a walk in a very pointed direction. I can walk ANYWHERE within a 10 minute radius of my apartment and find dozens of businesses along the way or at the end of the 10 minute radius. And can you imagine?:

Just using your legs to transport you places helps you loose weight!

6. Good for you. I had to be shipped (45 minutes each way) into the city from the suburbs to get the education I needed to give me a leg up in my career.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:55 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Since when do the suburbs not consist on subdivisions?! The suburbs in Houston do, the suburb I grew up in do, the one my aunt lived it did, the ones in New Orleans do, etc.
Try, Boston, New York, Philly, Chicago, Seattle, Portland (Ore), Hell even Atlanta, the Vast majority don't live in subdivisions
I grew up in the suburbs a grew up on a lot greater than 3/4th of an acre, and i was within WALKING distance of resturants, Convenice store, barber shop, gorcery ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning