Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:20 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am an urbanist and i grew up in the suburbs, it was anything but sterile or boring. I personally have no interest in living in the suburbs again, but it doesn't mean they are bad.
you make up the point 0.1% who hold that view point. 99% of the urbanist on this thread believe suburbs is some wasteland, and urban lifestyle is this perfect utopia and that everyone should desire to live that lifestyle.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:27 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,567,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
you make up the point 0.1% who hold that view point. 99% of the urbanist on this thread believe suburbs is some wasteland, and urban lifestyle is this perfect utopia and that everyone should desire to live that lifestyle.

no.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
I read through the whole thread and it is just you who seems to think this. I am guessing you are a guy who spent too many years living in a city somewhere and got tired of it and now happier in the suburbs, good for you, but your generalizatuon is no worse than those that generalize that the suburbs are sterile and boring.

Besides, what's it matter to you if urbanists don't like the suburbs? Is this relating to something in particular that is happening in your suburb?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:35 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,553 times
Quote:
I read through the whole thread and it is just you who seems to think this. I am guessing you are a guy who spent too many years living in a city somewhere and got tired of it and now happier in the suburbs, good for you, but your generalizatuon is no worse than those that generalize that the suburbs are sterile and boring.

Besides, what's it matter to you if urbanists don't like the suburbs? Is this relating to something in particular that is happening in your suburb?
This is a forum. You are allowed to voice your opinions. I'm doing it. If urbanist can come on to this forum and bash the suburbs, I can do the same. I don't lose any sleep on what urbanist feel about the suburbs, but this is just an opportunity to debate and call out urbanist for their way of thinking. Nothing I say is going to change their opinion about the suburbs, just like nothing they say will change my opinion about their arrogance. Keep in mind, my post aren't just simply related to this thread.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:40 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,567,075 times
Quote:
This is a forum. You are allowed to voice your opinions. I'm doing it. If urbanist can come on to this forum and bash the suburbs, I can do the same. I don't lose any sleep on what urbanist feel about the suburbs, but this is just an opportunity to debate and call out urbanist for their way of thinking. Nothing I say is going to change their opinion about the suburbs, just like nothing they say will change my opinion about their arrogance. Keep in mind, my post aren't just simply related to this thread.
if people just bash that certainly wont change anyones minds. I prefer discussions focused on facts, and on narrower issues than "your way bad, my way good". But thats just me.

BTW

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Haha call it both ways Katiana! NT has, for three (or four?) consecutive posts called all urbanists delusional.

I'm not even stretching that - it happened.

This thread is ludicrous. It started out there and it has remained there.
Well, I'd like to see an end to the psychoanalysis on both sides. Better word choice would be helpful, too.

Quote:

You may have read through this whole thread and not found a "smoking gun", but you could do a forum-wide search for "sterile", "cookie cutter" and other words often applied to suburbs and find a plethora of posts.

Many urbanists feel that some suburbs are OK, e.g. "streetcar" suburbs, "inner ring" suburbs, suburbs that they live in (and they go to great lengths in some cases to justify why their living sitation is "different"). Some few outright denigrate all suburbs as sterile, cookie cutter, boring, racist, banal, etc.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:35 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I don't think most people slap a label on all suburbs (or on all city neighborhoods, for that matter) because reasonable people understand that there's a wide variety of locations out there. And many people realize that "urban" doesn't just mean "within city limits."

I like some suburbs. I don't like others. Given the choice, I'd prefer something more urban, more urban than any suburb can offer (or what many American cities can offer, for that matter), but I can understand the appeal of places like where we live now, which is a suburb but sufficiently "urban" in form that we enjoy living here, even if it's not my dream neighborhood.

But if you mean do I think that the modern stereotypical suburb -- thec subdivisions with little within walking distance, for example (or worse -- gated communities) -- are modern wastelands, then no, I don't think that,, but I don't like them, would never willingly live in one, and would be absolutely miserable living in such a setting. I do find them sterile and boring, although do realize that just because the SETTING is sterile and boring (in my view) does not mean that the residents who live there are boring. Clearly many people (including interesting people) love those areas and are very happy in that environment and don't find their home physical environment to be stifling. Just like there are those who find very urban neighborhoods to be stressful and overwhelming. To each his own.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,289,625 times
Quote:
You are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts. Your claim that
Quote:
99% of the urbanist on this thread believe suburbs is some wasteland, and urban lifestyle is this perfect utopia and that everyone should desire to live that lifestyle.
This statement is not true. It's not your opinion, it's just a lie. There's a difference between someone with an opinion and a liar.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Okay, so you have no interest in having any form of conversation, you just wish to bash city life in general. I wiol keep that in mind and ignore your posts.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, I'd like to see an end to the psychoanalysis on both sides. Better word choice would be helpful, too.

You may have read through this whole thread and not found a "smoking gun", but you could do a forum-wide search for "sterile", "cookie cutter" and other words often applied to suburbs and find a plethora of posts.

Many urbanists feel that some suburbs are OK, e.g. "streetcar" suburbs, "inner ring" suburbs, suburbs that they live in (and they go to great lengths in some cases to justify why their living sitation is "different"). Some few outright denigrate all suburbs as sterile, cookie cutter, boring, racist, banal, etc.
Well I am not most urbanists, so you are welcome to have a conversation about these topics if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning