Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
book on tape
You're dating yourself. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're dating yourself. LOL
Yeah, I know. We haven't taken one of those long road trips in a while.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:16 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Some of us still have tape decks in our vehicles ... A lot of independent musicians now put out their stuff on tapes (with included downloaded of the album). I like that they are catering to the niche market of music fans who are still driving old cars.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Are tapes going to be adopted by hipsters like records? The hiss and rewind mechanism will provide a more authentic listening experience?

Old 05-04-2013, 06:55 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Oh, I miss my tape deck! In the past decades I made tons of mix tapes for the car, and now they languish, unloved, in the basement. *sigh*

Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Are tapes going to be adopted by hipsters like records? The hiss and rewind mechanism will provide a more authentic listening experience?
It's possible. I've never had a new car so I never abandoned tapes. They're pretty durable, which is good for those who are not fastidious in their care of CDs.

Truthfully, towards the end of tapes popularity, the sound quality got excellent. Dolby helps.

Folks also want to buy something tangible, maybe for the art, even if they never listen to the cassette, when they are buying a recording at a show. It's hard to just sell a piece of paper with a download code on it.

Odessa Records - **** Horse this tape is currently in my tape deck. Perfect acoustic quality is of no use to these weirdos.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The error of his argument is exposed when you realize that buses are only economical because of pervasive subsidy by the taxpayer.
The problem with government funding of rail - it's equally bad.

Let us remember that between 1890 - 1920, the U.S. had privately funded and profitable urban electric rail mass transit (streetcars, trolleys, trams). If it wasn't for the widespread public subsidy for roads, the automobiles / buses / trucks would not have had a chance.
A few points -

There is no transportation that's truly profitable and there never really has been but most governments overseeing something resembling a market economy (going back to antiquity) recognize that if you don't have adequate and well maintained transportation infrastructure then the movement of goods and services slows, your economy suffers, the movement of goods and services slows more, your economy gets worse and around and around.

The capital costs of early railroads were covered largely through the sale and development of real estate - made more lucrative by state and federal land grants and other corrupt dealings.

The same is true of most of the streetcar networks that developed in American cities prior to the 1920s. Farebox recovery stayed high enough to cover operating costs as long as they were the only game in town but the revenue from fares still wasn't enough to cover the ongoing capital costs. Some streetcars started shutting down as early as the 1920s and when most were dismantled in the 1950s it's because they were falling apart after decades of deferred maintenance.

If you want a world class transportation network - it costs - it's a shame more people don't realize the importance of having one.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 AM

389 posts, read 470,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Haha I'm sure that may happen. you see a lot of new bands trying to have a more "authentic" sound, so they use fiddles, banjos, brass instruments like trombones or tubas. One of my teachers suggest I record on a tape as well lol.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 PM

5,898 posts, read 6,104,862 times
I wouldn't listen to radio shows/podcasts/audio books on busy arterials with drivers cutting me off, traffic lights, etc since those require a lot of attention. However, if the drive through the American Midwest is anything like the Canadian Prairies, I would probably want something to keep my mind occupied. The Trans-Canada Highway from Sudbury to Calgary is mostly very boring, fairly straight to very straight with little change in the surrounding landscape, very little traffic to worry about and no intersections, pedestrians... If listening to audio books means you won't fall asleep at the wheel, it could be safer in those kinds of driving conditions.

Prairies: Google Maps
Northern Ontario is pretty boring too: Google Maps

Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is a huge difference between actual "mulitasking" and listening to a freaking book on tape!
Not really, not in the case of driving. If you're paying attention to driving, which we should all do in any situation, then you're not paying attention to the book on tape. If you're really listening to the book on tape, such that you can actually remember and reflect upon it's details, then you're not paying attention to driving.

Sometimes driving doesn't demand our full attention (long trips, stop-and-go traffic) because the brain gets bored. Even in normal commuting, driving can be so calm as to allow us to switch between tasks (eg, radio, audiobook) without an automatic accident. Clearly, I'm not saying you cannot nor have not really gotten in to an audiobook while driving. I am saying, however, that if you have, you weren't attending to driving at the same time because the brain literally does not have that capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning