Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 12:24 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times

Advertisements

Minimizing clutter at first, then entirely getting rid of corruption. Even if a vast majority of realities are social constructs not necessarily identifiable with any universal truths or artificial labels, people have to figure out these types of projection. Outside of classroom education studies is a solid relevant occurrence on experience to understand other than these formal qualifications. Unexpectedly playing a computer video game of Sim City 3000 Unlimited, Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition are actively trying to tell society how to make a community. I call that Architectural drafting CAD for now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 02:34 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Default Walk Score For Denver

https://www.walkscore.com/CO/Denver

It occurred to me that "somewhat walkable" could apply to the legacy neighborhoods of a town-old style SFH/with yards-built before WWII.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:20 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
How Walk Score Works

https://www.redfin.com/how-walk-score-works

Note also transit scores and bike scores.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:41 PM

839 posts, read 735,278 times
If I were to build a town from scratch, I will follow the following principles below:

(1) Small and intimate (compact)
(2) Locally driven and locally responsive (the residents have a sense of ownership of their community)
(3) Unique identity
(4) Designed for social interaction (walkable, permeable to pedestrians, and has places for people to congregate)
(5) Functional (has retail, leisure, and service facilities)
(6) Mixed community (has range of age, incomes, employment vs residential)

Old 08-22-2019, 09:43 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
If you could tear down any city or town or find a new undeveloped location, how would you build that town and what would you put in it?
My eventual large city planning would be based off of a large scale bike-spoke / spider-web design.

My initial small town would be zone for a mixed use commercial / residential center and then it would build out on a grid that keeps an overall concentric pattern at its edge (planning for a larger expansion).

If my town was never going to get very large, I'd create a small-scale spider-web design from the center-out similar to the wonderful bike-friendly and auto-unfriendly urban design of Amsterdam. In place of the canals I might add green spaces. Or the thoroughfares could be widened for traffic, depending on need / practicality.

If the plan were for it to expand into a full size city, then the city center and its immediate surrounding mixed use region would be in a grid pattern to facilitate traffic flow-through. Still keeping its concentric outer shape.

I'd then make suburban rings detached from the urban grid and connected through a variety of roadways and public transportation that traveled to the center in a bike-spoke / spider web fashion.

Entry zones for a variety of pre-planned transportation routes would be built into each ring. Even regular bike-only roads could be planned for in this manner, which lead directly from the suburbs to the city in a perfectly straight line. Roads would be planned so that there were exits to highways that circumvented the entire ring system and traveled onto the next city or town.

Each ring interspersed between the urban core and the suburban-residential rings would have a specific purpose: parks, industrial, office space, etc. Each residential zone would have at least one parkland ring to access without the need to get on a major road / highway.

As rings get further away from the city, their area will increase. Eventually, rings can be split into different yet clearly demarcated use areas.

One last thing: planning for community social capital would be a high priority in designing the residential areas. With communities built to encourage social networking. One way to do that is to assure that most communities have a town square or main street type area to access.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:48 AM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
like this, someone is helping me because im not good at computers. its close to done.
blue is roads, purple and grey are trains, red are 15 story buildings.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:54 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Find commercially significant deposits of gold, and let the news media know about it.

Voila! A town!

Old 08-23-2019, 04:54 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
https://www.walkscore.com/CO/Denver

It occurred to me that "somewhat walkable" could apply to the legacy neighborhoods of a town-old style SFH/with yards-built before WWII.
Yet true for US cities. Thanks for the link .
Some other cites too.

You used Denver.

Walk Score - Transit Score - Bike Score
...... 61 ............. 47 .............. 71 .....

I will use Chicago. Best Street-Grid city IMO.
https://www.walkscore.com/IL/

..... 78 ............... 65 .............. 72 ....

LA
...... 67 .............. 53 ............. 55 .....

NYC
...... 89 .............. 84 .............. 68 ....

SF
...... 86 .............. 80 .............. 71 ....

Philly
...... 79 .............. 67 .............. 66 ....

Seattle
..... 73 ............... 60 ............... 70 ....

Miami
..... 79 .............. 57 ............... 63 ....

DC
..... 77 ...............71 ............... 67 ....

Boston
..... 81 .............. 72 ................ 69 ....

Other US Sunbelt cities do poorly to post figures.

Of these cities....
Chicago had the highest bike score. SF and Denver a point under.
NYC the highest walk and transit score as no surprise
SF seems overall by all 3 as the winner. Small city limits and density.
LA the lowest for our Second largest city. But not a surprise.

US Legacy cities also .... with neighborhoods pre-WW2. LA still fits, but Miami no.

Last edited by DavePa; 08-23-2019 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-23-2019, 04:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,806 times
decide the land size you want the city to be. decide what population you are seeking.

Start from the outside, working toward the center. When the center is reached, building ceases.
When population limits are reached, Start designing a new city.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:25 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
My eventual large city planning would be based off of a large scale bike-spoke / spider-web design.

My initial small town would be zone for a mixed use commercial / residential center and then it would build out on a grid that keeps an overall concentric pattern at its edge (planning for a larger expansion).

If my town was never going to get very large, I'd create a small-scale spider-web design from the center-out similar to the wonderful bike-friendly and auto-unfriendly urban design of Amsterdam. In place of the canals I might add green spaces. Or the thoroughfares could be widened for traffic, depending on need / practicality.

If the plan were for it to expand into a full size city, then the city center and its immediate surrounding mixed use region would be in a grid pattern to facilitate traffic flow-through. Still keeping its concentric outer shape.

I'd then make suburban rings detached from the urban grid and connected through a variety of roadways and public transportation that traveled to the center in a bike-spoke / spider web fashion.

Entry zones for a variety of pre-planned transportation routes would be built into each ring. Even regular bike-only roads could be planned for in this manner, which lead directly from the suburbs to the city in a perfectly straight line. Roads would be planned so that there were exits to highways that circumvented the entire ring system and traveled onto the next city or town.

Each ring interspersed between the urban core and the suburban-residential rings would have a specific purpose: parks, industrial, office space, etc. Each residential zone would have at least one parkland ring to access without the need to get on a major road / highway.

As rings get further away from the city, their area will increase. Eventually, rings can be split into different yet clearly demarcated use areas.

One last thing: planning for community social capital would be a high priority in designing the residential areas. With communities built to encourage social networking. One way to do that is to assure that most communities have a town square or main street type area to access.
Hub and Spoke is an awful design. See Atlanta. The Grid should have relatively perpendicular lines.
It would be important to plan transportation. That means highways, arterials and ROW for bus lanes (or eventually trains if you plan it to be big enough).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning