Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 11:34 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Myth my foot. I have personally had an woman throw an tape recorder at me after giving the bus an lecture of where no man would touch her. She latter hit another woman boarding an train.

I have seen an young guy who was either on drugs or crazy throw an punch at an ticket both, he was dragged off the train by the cops(lucky he was in his own little world when he got on the train and ignored me.).

Last time around it was an agitated person heading up and down the station repeatedly.

I have seen an woman get her purse stolen, had an person who was high and sweating profusely sit next to me on an train and smelled some really bad odors for the whole trip(such as b.m., urine, as well as just some homeless person who hasn't showed in months).

I have gotten blasted by frigid winds every time the train opened the door, stood exposed to the elements waiting on an train or an bus, stood up for an hour due to lack of seating and somehow people here think than an hour sitting in traffic is worse than an hour crammed in to an bus?!?
I guess transit sucks for you where you live. Not everyone has the same transit experiences as you. For you, it sounds like driving is your best option. But just because driving is your best option doesn't mean cities shouldn't offer adequate transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 02:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I guess transit sucks for you where you live. Not everyone has the same transit experiences as you. For you, it sounds like driving is your best option. But just because driving is your best option doesn't mean cities shouldn't offer adequate transit.
The poster you are responding to lives in Chicago, a city generally thought to have "great" transit. The point is,even in a great system, it may not work for a specific person. The comments about getting blasted by frigid winds every time the train opened the door, struck a chord. I lived in Champaign, 130 miles to the south of Chicago, and I remember how cold it gets in the winter. Also this: "stood up for an hour due to lack of seating" I recall happening to me when we were visiting Boston when I was 8 1/2 mo. pregnant and no one would give me a seat.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
The poster you are responding to lives in Chicago, a city generally thought to have "great" transit. The point is,even in a great system, it may not work for a specific person.
The other possibility is that very places in the US actually have "great" transit. That's a bit extreme, though I think chirack does live in the part of Chicago with worse transit and with higher crime issues. But yes, transit may not work for a specific person.

Quote:
The comments about getting blasted by frigid winds every time the train opened the door, struck a chord. I lived in Champaign, 130 miles to the south of Chicago, and I remember how cold it gets in the winter.
I haven't found weather an issue for transit, and my current location is slightly colder than Champaign.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The other possibility is that very places in the US actually have "great" transit. That's a bit extreme, though I think chirack does live in the part of Chicago with worse transit and with higher crime issues.

I haven't found weather an issue for transit, and my current location is slightly colder than Champaign.
There's something to be said for walking a mile in someone else's moccasins. The midwest is cold like none other, IMO.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
There's something to be said for walking a mile in someone else's moccasins. The midwest is cold like none other, IMO.
I can check weather data. The Upper Midwest is very cold, but otherwise the Midwest isn't that different from the Northeast, at least the interior northern part. Average January: 34°F/18°F; 6 below 0°F nights / year

URBANA, ILLINOIS - Climate Summary

Amherst [near me]: 34°F/14°F; 10 below 0°F nights / year

AMHERST, MASSACHUSETTS - Climate Summary

I can understand some people may have difficulties dealing with extreme weather. But for most people, especially young, healthy people, saying one reason it's important to have a car just to avoid feeling the outdoors is a bit much, IMO.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I can check weather data. The Upper Midwest is very cold, but otherwise the Midwest isn't that different from the Northeast, at least the interior northern part. Average January: 34°F/18°F; 6 below 0°F nights / year

URBANA, ILLINOIS - Climate Summary

Amherst [near me]: 34°F/14°F; 10 below 0°F nights / year

AMHERST, MASSACHUSETTS - Climate Summary

I can understand some people may have difficulties dealing with extreme weather. But for most people, especially young, healthy people, saying one reason it's important to have a car just to avoid feeling the outdoors is a bit much, IMO.
Easterners never believe that it feels colder in the midwest until they actually go there.

I can't get this link to go to Chicago. Maybe you can.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Easterners never believe that it feels colder in the midwest until they actually go there.

I can't get this link to go to Chicago. Maybe you can.
Just was looking at it

CHICAGO MIDWAY AP 3 SW, ILLINOIS - Climate Summary

Here's one of the recent colder months in Chicago

Weather History for Chicago Midway, IL | Weather Underground

four of those were colder than anything we've gotten here in recent years though a few years back had a monthly average almost as cold:

Weather History for Chicopee, MA | Weather Underground

January 2004 in Ithaca had some cold days as extreme as that Chicago month

The Ithaca Climate Page :: Northeast Regional Climate Center

Temperatures that cold are brutal, but they are only a few days of the winter and don't happen every winter.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:34 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

Don't look now, but MAX Blue east of Gateway sucks at most times other than rush hour.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:06 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,549 times
cars block the train from going anywhere sometimes east of gateway. its the only line in the street unless you count the short yellow line.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:02 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
The poster you are responding to lives in Chicago, a city generally thought to have "great" transit. The point is,even in a great system, it may not work for a specific person. The comments about getting blasted by frigid winds every time the train opened the door, struck a chord. I lived in Champaign, 130 miles to the south of Chicago, and I remember how cold it gets in the winter. Also this: "stood up for an hour due to lack of seating" I recall happening to me when we were visiting Boston when I was 8 1/2 mo. pregnant and no one would give me a seat.
He lives in deep Southside Chicago. The area has seen EL tracks come down over the years, crime go up, and a mediocre bus service. If he lived in Northside Chicago he would be singing a different tune, transit is much better there. Bus service being very easy to use with train lines usually a short to medium distance walk away.

True, those lake winds do get cold, but one expects that when living in Chicago. As for you having to stand when being pregnant, that is because we live in a society of selfish men who think they are more deserving of a seat than you. In NYC, I always gave my seat when a train was full, and would always stand so that an elderly, handicap, or pregnant woman could sit, but then again I was raised with manners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning