Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 01:14 PM

992 posts, read 877,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It would not eliminate the need for roads.
It certainly reduces it.

Quote:
Not to mention, are these trains going to stop every half mile? That doesn't sound very efficient.
In LA, trains stop every 1 mile, and it's faster than driving. Every 1 mile means you usually don't walk more than 1/2 a mile (8 minutes, roughly) from a station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 02:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Less money--yes; of course. A transit pass for a whole year costs $1200. Owning a car for a year costs about $8000 per year.
I'll take on the rest of your post later, but this cracked me up. Do you have a CLUE how much your $1200 transit is subsidized? And you know, these figures they give for cars presuppose owning a late-model car bought with a loan or leased.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I'll take on the rest of your post later, but this cracked me up. Do you have a CLUE how much your $1200 transit is subsidized? And you know, these figures they give for cars presuppose owning a late-model car bought with a loan or leased.
Do you have a CLUE how much roads are subsidized?

Old 04-29-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Do you have a CLUE how much roads are subsidized?
(Watches nei cringe!)

Yes, I do have said clue. Roads are also used by buses and bikes. I can assure you car ownership is not subsidized, however. It has been decades since one could even get a tax deduction on the interest paid on a car loan.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
(Watches nei cringe!)
How many pages does it take for a Urban Planning forum thread to go to a road subsidy discussion...

Old 04-29-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Los Angeles, Seattle, Denver, and Honolulu are the big ones. Smaller projects are happening in San Francisco, San Diego, Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Atlanta, DC, New York, Boston, Miami, and Minneapolis.

San Francisco, Vancouver BC, Boston, DC.

basics: walking distance to transit — Human Transit
Rail tracks every mile doesn't mess up a city at all. Haven't you ever seen light rail? Besides, denser places don't have at-grade rail.

https://www.zillow.com/blog/cost-of-...report-213208/

Denver certainly counts when it comes to urban rail, but like other isolated cities--Calgary, Anchorage, Honolulu, etc., it will obviously have a low intercity rail mode share (and a low intercity car mode share), because more people will choose to fly.

Not as much, because less miles of track and rail cars are needed than miles of road and passenger cars to serve the same number of people.

Faster--yes, in most urban environments, which is relevant to most people.
More comfortably--not having to spend your time driving counts as more comfortable to me.
Less money--yes; of course. A transit pass for a whole year costs $1200. Owning a car for a year costs about $8000 per year.

There is no way Denver is building light rail at 1 mile intervals. Here's the map: http://www.rtd-denver.com/LightRail_Map.shtml

Numbers for these cities or it's not happening: San Francisco, Vancouver BC, Boston, DC. According to this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nsit_ridership
SF: 34.05%
Boston: 32.82%
DC: 26.61%
The ONLY city in the US where at least 1/2 the people take transit to work is NYC. You may look up Vancouver BC. It's not in the US.

Yes, I've seen light rail; there was no call for your snark.

Here are some pictures of the tiny footprint of Denver's light rail:
Picture #51-53, Louisiana and Pearl light rail station http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...-part-4-a.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...hoto-tour.html
#10-11 University of Denver station
http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...-part-1-a.html Broadway station
#6 + 13-17 (assuming I counted correctly)

Yes, it costs more to live in the city; that isn't proof it's more desirable. Taxes are higher, that makes properties more expensive. Living expenses are higher as well.

People aren't all going to the same places! The idea that "everyone" worked downtown from 8-5 hasn't been true for a few decades, if ever.

Faster-not always. Maybe not even 50% of the time, especially if it stops every mile.
More comfortable-I loved the description of Japan's system.
Less money-I already covered that.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

London roughly has surface railways every mile or so throughout most of the city. I don't remember feeling rail used an especially large amount land for transportation-wise. If anything less, because roads are narrow there. Over half of workers use transit in London, similar to NYC. But of course not all transit riders are taking rail; can't remember the split, maybe a bit over half? So maybe 30% rail.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
There is no way Denver is building light rail at 1 mile intervals. Here's the map: RTD

Numbers for these cities or it's not happening: San Francisco, Vancouver BC, Boston, DC. According to this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nsit_ridership
They all have over 50% of people NOT DRIVING. There are lots of people who walk, bike, etc.

Quote:
Yes, I've seen light rail; there was no call for your snark.
Then you would understand that it doesn't blight cities at all.

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the tiny footprint of Denver's light rail:
Picture #51-53, Louisiana and Pearl light rail station http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...-part-4-a.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...hoto-tour.html
#10-11 University of Denver station
http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...-part-1-a.html Broadway station
#6 + 13-17 (assuming I counted correctly)
Yep. Pretty small in comparison to a boulevard or freeway.

Quote:
Yes, it costs more to live in the city; that isn't proof it's more desirable. Taxes are higher, that makes properties more expensive. Living expenses are higher as well.
If supply met demand, it would cost less than $200,000 to buy the average house in an urban core. Since it costs more than that, demand is therefore higher.

Quote:
People aren't all going to the same places! The idea that "everyone" worked downtown from 8-5 hasn't been true for a few decades, if ever.
Very true. However, everybody going to the same place from 8-5 is horribly inefficient, as far as transit systems are concerned.

Quote:
Faster-not always. Maybe not even 50% of the time, especially if it stops every mile.
A grade-separated rail line with stops every mile is almost always faster than any urban driving.

Quote:
More comfortable-I loved the description of Japan's system.
I guess driving is more comfortable if you consider sitting still behind a wheel unable to do anything else and getting very frustrated to be comfortable. I don't.

Quote:
Less money-I already covered that.
It still costs less to use transit.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
There is no way Denver is building light rail at 1 mile intervals. Here's the map: RTD

The ONLY city in the US where at least 1/2 the people take transit to work is NYC. You may look up Vancouver BC. It's not in the US.
Quote:
They all have over 50% of people NOT DRIVING. There are lots of people who walk, bike, etc.
sure, but the % taking the train is smaller than Katriana's numbers* since not all transit riders take the train.

*DC's numbers look lower than I've seen else, but even if that's true doesn't change the main point

Old 04-29-2017, 07:28 PM

As far as land use, most of the LR stations in Denver have parking. DU has a parking garage. I don't know about the others I posted pictures of; I've never been there.

It costs more than $200K to buy a 3 BR house in the Denver suburbs, let alone in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning