Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:55 AM

702 posts, read 1,984,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzey View Post
we have been in eagle mt. utah for allmost two years, we have got less snow than we did in jersey.
love it here very nice people, love the neighborhood its the best move we ever made. dont worry about what you here ,about people not excepting you i have found the people here great no compaints
Is Eagle Mountain sliding?? Thats what I heard. And snow in Jersey is different then what they get out here because its not that wet heavy stuff we receive on the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,220 times
is eagle mountain far from sandy, do you get snowed in at all. i have 4 children is it a great place to raise children

Old 10-25-2008, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,220 times
Default west coast family moving to utah

my family and i are thinking of moving to sandy. and it is a big move from california for us. we are a little unsure as to how to make the move. my boyfriend has been offered a job there but we arent sure how we are to find a place to live out there. my boyfriend hasnt really moved any where before. i have lived a couple places though. is sandy a good family place, we have 4 children between the both of us. are there many jobs in the salt lake city area. does anyone know of any great sites to look up jobs as well as rental homes?

Old 10-25-2008, 10:37 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
Yes Sandy is quite a drive from Eagle Mountain. The two really arn't close at all. Eagle Mountain is quite out there. Sandy is just a subarb really of SLC.
Sandy is very family orientated as is all of Utah so it would probably be a good place to raise kids. The unemployment rate in Utah has always been fairly low so I wouldn't think there'd be a problem with finding a job. But then again I guess it depends on the type of job and with the recent economic drop it might make it a bit more difficult. I like to use monster.com to look for jobs (well my husband cause I don't work ) and as far as rentals you could check out rentalhouses.com but I did a quick search and really didn't find much. But IMO with the price of rentals I'd consider buying a house because it really is a buyer's market right now in Utah and rent is practically as much as a house payment. Just an opinion.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:28 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
though unemployment may be low in utah, there is a lot of competition for jobs, especially with the plethora of college kids, which can make the time alotted to job-hunting quite a bit bigger than you might be used to (i am unsure as to the employment situation of cali). just be patient, and work hard to get your names out there, and you will do well.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:56 PM

104 posts, read 310,819 times
My advice would be to find the school for your 4 children first, then look for a place to live. The public schools out here are below what we were used to back east so we chose to send our kids to a parochial school. There are no buses (for our school) so that means driving to and from every day. From what I've heard, there's no such thing as SNOW DAYS so you'll be driving in that too if you choose to send them to private or parochial.
We have lived here for 3 months now and are really enjoying it. We live in Sandy, and yes it is very family oriented, very safe and the people are very nice. You really need to visit the schools though. We did a lot of research on schools before we moved and Jordan School district seemed to be the best however we still chose parochial. In the same school district you could have schools that are year round and others that are not. You also don't have to go to the school that you are designated for, it's very odd. Different from anywhere we have every lived. Another reason we picked parochial is because it is much more transient than the public schools. It's tough to be the new kid. In the private and parochial schools there are lots of new kids each year.
There are a lot of houses for sale out here. There are also a lot of houses for rent in very nice areas if you wanted to be sure you liked Utah before committing. If you don't know you are going to be here for a long time then I would recommend renting because I fear the prices are still dropping and you could lose any equity you would be putting down.

Utah (SL county) is a great place to raise kids. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.
Good luck!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,233 times
I wrote a message and then started to edit it and I need to really edit it - otherwise it will be a book. I will repost it in a little while.

I like to express my feelings and I got long winded.

be back soon......

Last edited by skycom0506; 12-10-2008 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: I need to edit what I edited.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:22 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Lightbulb Catholic Education System is Building Another Campus; Link for Jordan School District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen38 View Post
My advice would be to find the school for your 4 children first, then look for a place to live. The public schools out here are below what we were used to back east so we chose to send our kids to a parochial school. There are no buses (for our school) so that means driving to and from every day. From what I've heard, there's no such thing as SNOW DAYS so you'll be driving in that too if you choose to send them to private or parochial.
We have lived here for 3 months now and are really enjoying it. We live in Sandy, and yes it is very family oriented, very safe and the people are very nice. You really need to visit the schools though. We did a lot of research on schools before we moved and Jordan School district seemed to be the best however we still chose parochial. In the same school district you could have schools that are year round and others that are not. You also don't have to go to the school that you are designated for, it's very odd. Different from anywhere we have every lived. Another reason we picked parochial is because it is much more transient than the public schools. It's tough to be the new kid. In the private and parochial schools there are lots of new kids each year.
There are a lot of houses for sale out here. There are also a lot of houses for rent in very nice areas if you wanted to be sure you liked Utah before committing. If you don't know you are going to be here for a long time then I would recommend renting because I fear the prices are still dropping and you could lose any equity you would be putting down.

Utah (SL county) is a great place to raise kids. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.
Good luck!
I agree, Jen38, about learning about the schools first. CA really isn't that far away, so if possible, I'd visit the Sandy area to see how it feels to you, ljynn24.

The Jordan District is odd in how they allow students to move between schools. Plus, those who opt for year round school (or as I recently read 45/15 - 45 days of school and 15 days off) may not have all of their kids on the same schedule, unless they are all in the same school. Jr. High may be different than elementary etc.

If I were doing the public school system, I'd opt for Jordan vs. Granite any day.

Jen38, do your kids go to Juan Diego? The increase both in the Catholic population in Salt Lake County and other parents who want their kids to have a solid education necessitated that a school be planned for Riverton, I believe. Others may know more. It will be part of the Skaggs Catholic Education System, but another physical location as the current Parochial Schools are overloaded with students.

Here's the link for the Jordan School District, jlynn24: Jordan School District. Sometimes, it is difficult to believe over 90K children are in the district. That is until one starts to drive and see all the new schools.

As for jobs, I'd use your favorite search engines and look at jobs in UT. Indeed.com is always useful. One local link you may like is a tv station: ksl.com - Utah News, Sports, Weather and Classifieds. Check the classifieds. Jobs, rentals and lots of other categories. Without more information about technical job skills, I don't know what else to recommend.

Visit if you can and for longer than a day jlynn24. Sandy varies greatly from areas of extreme need, to 7 digit homes. Sandy had NO planning of land utilization until the last few years. So one can see all sorts of homes in certain areas.

Good luck finding what is right for you and your family.

MSR

Old 12-12-2008, 12:48 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Post Correction: 80K+ at Jordan District

I couldn't edit my error from my last comment without getting logged off the site

The Jordan School District has over 80,000students, not 90,000 like I accidentally wrote before.

So sorry if I caused panic to those who have kids in packed classrooms wondering where 10K more students would fit this year.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah