Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:21 AM

522 posts, read 1,429,948 times

Advertisements

I've read through a few Utah forums, and none quite seem to fit.
I travelled through Southern Utah a couple of years ago, for a couple of months in my RV, and have to say UTAH IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL STATE!
I've been wandering, looking for a new place to live, and I fell in love with Utah, particularly MOAB.
1. I know Utah is generally a Mormon State, and I have no problem with Mormons. Every encounter (in any state) has been great, and I remember the people I met traveling through Utah were warm and friendly. But, I've always heard "yeah, but it's not like that if you live there!" I keep hearing the term "Jack Mormon" to define those who say one thing, do another, and talk behind your back".
Any comments?

2. I am very open-minded, liberal, progressive, a bit of a loner, and I stand up for what I believe in. I'm spiritual, but basically, 'anti-religion'. I'm looking for a place to live where I won't be ostracized, and I like to get involved in community activities. I've been leary about moving to Utah, because I don't want to feel like an 'outsider'. I like to support change and improvement, and I have a very hard time with 'traditional, conservative, mainstream". When I'm with people who 'don't think outside the box', I feel frustrated and isolated. I'm looking for a place where I can grow.
Any thoughts?

3. Along the same lines, I worry about the close relationship of "Church and State". Are politics dominated by Conservative or Religious Values?

I'm a free spirit from So California, lived in Tucson for a few years, and have been traveling for a couple of years, living mostly in New Mexico in my RV for a couple of years. I'm basically a desert person, and I like New Mexico, but it's a pretty poor state, and while the attitudes are open, they are way behind politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 AM

255 posts, read 608,542 times
Just a comment on the term "Jack Mormon." In my experience, the term is used to describe people who claim to believe in Mormonism but don't actually attend church, abstain from alcohol and smoking, or otherwise follow the standards of the church. They are usually pretty open about it. The term isn't usually associated with talking behind people's backs or hypocrisy. In other words, they don't pretend to not drink or smoke or pretend to attend church, they just do those things without saying "Mormonism isn't true" or anything like that.

Wikipedia actually has an article on Jack Mormon.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 PM

Thanks for your response. So, the term basically means 'someone who's not a 'practicing' Mormon, same as they say with Catholics, it sounds like.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:29 AM

218 posts, read 741,595 times
anomoly,

Right now, I reside in southern California as well (unfortunately)... I absolutely hate CA with a venom, particularly Los Angeles, so I can't wait to finally wash myself of this place for good. But having been from California, and since you are from southern California... if you are truly a "free spirit", "anti-religion" kinda guy, then I don't think you'd be too happy in Utah.

Utah is one of a few places I'm considering moving to (Salt Lake City, or Orem), but I am personally a religious conservative... I am Mormon, and I am a Republican... as such, I would probably feel more at home in a state that is pretty much dominated by the LDS Church, not to mention just a basically conservative demographic. Will the Mormons and general public in the state welcome you... of course, they will. They will be as friendly as anyone could be. But the question is... will YOU be comfortable in that environment, knowing your personality and nature?

Old 03-08-2008, 11:54 AM

281 posts, read 1,185,572 times
Oh Crimany, move to Utah if you want to. The more the better. A previous post read like so many others. You can move here but we run the place so don't forget it. The influence of the church in state matters is largly a manifestation of the people in office. Being polititions they'll do and say anything to get elected. And if the majority of their constituants are Mormon, then by God their going to be and vote like Mormons. But of course there's that darn Constitution written by radical, tree-hugging liberals who hated God, that gets in the way of all religions who think they should run the country. So I wouldn't worry about anything.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:44 PM

Default thanks for thoughts

Thanks everyone so far. I appreciate the variety of truthful personal opinions. When I read through comments about MOAB, I keep seeing that it is one of the least 'Mormon' cities. I hate to couch it in terms of religion, because it's more about how liberal or conservative it is.
I agree that because the majority in Utah are Mormons, that they will be reflected politically too. So, it does sound like Utah is predominantly conservative, but MOAB might be the "free spirit" of the state. I just loved it when I was there.

I have to tell you about MONTICELLO, down in the SE corner. That was my first experience with Utah. I've been there twice, and both times couldn't help but notice how "perfect" it looked.... beautiful, well manicured, but no people out anywhere.. It was like Stepford Wives! (LOL) I decided, after meeting so many friendly people, to do a little survey. Everywhere I went, I asked people if they lived there, how long, and if they liked living there. The results? Most lived there most of their lives, and 100% said they LOVED living there! Wow, you don't hear that very often in other places!

Oh, I also found their tiny 'state liquor store' to have one of the best varieties of beers, microbrews. For everyone who thinks alcohol is illegal or unavailable in Utah, I picked up some good Utah brewed beers, one made in Salt Lake at 10%, which is unheard of (most beer around 5%).
Moab had a large liqour store with even more variety.
Then you have Blanding, south of Monticello, and it's a dry town!
I think the variety of towns within the state is so interesting.

Maybe I should start a general thread--or forum-- for Moab? How do you go about starting a new forum for a city?

Old 03-13-2008, 01:57 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
hey, first of all, good luck in your move. second of all, i got a kick out of that last post. and third, especially in a town such a slc, moab, or park city, you will do fine.

if on the off-chance you don't make any friends real fast, i go down to moab often enough for hiking, so you can at least coutn one acquaintance.

aaron out.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:30 PM

Default Thanks, all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
hey, first of all, good luck in your move. second of all, i got a kick out of that last post. and third, especially in a town such a slc, moab, or park city, you will do fine.

if on the off-chance you don't make any friends real fast, i go down to moab often enough for hiking, so you can at least coutn one acquaintance.

aaron out.
THERE IT IS AGAIN! One more example of that unique Utah friendliness that attracts me to the state!
Thanks, aaron out, I'm in!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:29 PM

9 posts, read 27,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
I am very open-minded, liberal, progressive, a bit of a loner, and I stand up for what I believe in. ........ I've been leary about moving to Utah, because I don't want to feel like an 'outsider'. I like to support change and improvement, and I have a very hard time with 'traditional, conservative, mainstream". When I'm with people who 'don't think outside the box', I feel frustrated and isolated. I'm looking for a place where I can grow.
In some parts of the state, Openmindedness is simply unacceptable... And in those areas, you will feel like an "outsider". (Provo, among others...)

Fortunately, SE Utah is not one of these places. I drive through that corner of the state on my way to Colorado, and have always found the people there to be extremely polite and helpfull... Besides that, The scenery down there is absolutely stunning. I would highly reccomend moving down there.

Quote:
Oh, I also found their tiny 'state liquor store' to have one of the best varieties of beers, microbrews. For everyone who thinks alcohol is illegal or unavailable in Utah, I picked up some good Utah brewed beers, one made in Salt Lake at 10%, which is unheard of (most beer around 5%).
Moab had a large liqour store with even more variety.
I too heard bad things about the State liquor store before I moved out here. But, Honestly.... They have (or can get) anything that you could possibly want. It's also not much more expensive than what you can get from out of state.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:52 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
There is a brand new state liquor store in St. George, it's huge..it's on 900 East north of the boulevard...I can honestly say I did not check out the beers there, but I did get some great mojito mix and long island ice tea mix...they had a really excellent variety of tequila, I like the 'good' stuff, no hangover, and lots of wine...they carry the Hogue riesling that I normally buy near our place in WA state, its a WA wine, it's more expensive but at least I can buy it here and not have hubby bring a case every time he comes back from there

The old state liquor store over on the west end of town was so small and crowded, this one is like a regular store...awesome. guess it's not all LDS here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah