Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 02:06 PM

849 posts, read 2,921,611 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I need some assistance. I will be in Moab in mid-May for some mountain biking and camping for a few days, then I will be moving onto the Bryce Canyon/Red Canyon area for a couple days as well. I was to know of a really good campground in both of those areas that takes reservations, since there is some kind of UTV gathering in Moab during that time- I don't want to be stranded without accomodations. I am looking for quieter camping, not necessarily in the middle of things, but close to SLickrock MTB trail, and close to the other riding-not in the center of town.
Also, I want to hear from someone who has taken either Smokey Mountain Rd. or Cottonwood Canyon Rd. off UT12 and can tell me which one is better scenery wise. I know both are dirt roads, but from what I understand they are graded, and with my 2 wheel-drive Nissan Frontier I should be able to navigate it as long as it is dry. If anyone can offer any advice or assistance with this info, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
i don't know much about the campsites around those areas, but i do know that many camping grounds won't take reservations. some do, but i haven't gone to the work to find out which ones or how to go about it.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:35 PM

bump

Old 02-23-2009, 06:40 PM

239 posts, read 952,180 times
There are not too many posters from Southern Utah, or Moab here. You might try tripadvisor.com, there are a few guys that post there regularly.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:03 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
utah.com has a pretty decent guide to camping/hiking/biking/etc in the different areas of utah.

Moab Area Campgrounds | Utah.com

Old 02-28-2009, 07:31 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
I can't come up with the name, but there is a campground in downtown Moab on Main Street that is relatively close to the Slick Rock Trail. Other than that camping is somewhat limited. There's one or two campgrounds on the outskirts of town near the Colorado River. I believe one of those is a KOA (good showers and bathrooms). Moab is mostly about motels not camping, but there are a couple of places.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the help all- I just booked the Canyonlands campground: homepage

It's on south Main, looks like right in the heart of Moab, so at least I am close to everything.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 13,848 times
As for Moab, I like to camp at Bartlett wash near Hidden Canyon. south on Highway, turn right past airport, left, left, right, explore. Don't take my word for it, use a map.

If you are adventurous with 4 wheel drive, just find the intersection of "Bartlett Wash" and the highway and turn right. The wash is a blast.

Cheap riverside camping available (BLM??) Free Springwater from moutainside.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:49 PM

398 posts, read 818,677 times
The Cottonwood Canyon road off of Hwy 12 is a fun drive. That is the Grand Staircase area. If you go from Escalante south on it you would end up just a few miles north of Lake Powell. If you take that journey you might as well see Lake Powell too. It would take you a ways from your destination of Bryce, but not too bad. Might be best to just stick with Hwy 12 (which is awesome coming from the east). Coming from Moab that way you would drive right through Capitol Reef National Park which is more fun than any other park I have been too. I would suggest spending some time there instead of the long dirt road through Cottonwood Canyon.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:51 PM

Thanks Badland...my time is going to be limited along Hwy 12, I am going from Moab to Red Canyon and need to get there quickly, so I can't sidetrack too much. I plan on taking Cottonwood Canyon on my way from Red Canyon to Page. I am staying at Lake Powell for a couple days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah