Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:35 PM

193 posts, read 656,556 times

Advertisements

I have visited Utah many times in my childhood while going on ski trips. I am a freshman in college and am originally from Omaha, Nebraska. Starting next year, I will be transferring from MSU and have been considering the state of Utah (because of past experiences). I was just wondering if you could compare and contrast a few of my options.

University of Utah - Salt Lake City

Utah State University - Logan

Southern Utah University - Cedar City

I think what I am interesting in the most is to hear different opinions about each city. All I know right now is that SLC would easily be the largest, with Cedar City being the smallest. What are these cities like and what are some positives and negatives about them? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 09:11 PM

606 posts, read 699,194 times
Why don't you consider Brigham Young University?

Old 11-29-2007, 01:46 PM

242 posts, read 1,117,090 times
I've attended Uof U, and SUU. Logan I can't talk about. The only differences in quality of education is slight between the two. You have more research opportunities if you are in the sciences in SLC. Cedar is smaller, but comparing the two, much more fun if you are outdoors oriented. SLC has everything you could wish for, but the same problems any big city has. In the winter the inversion layer in SLC is depressing. That gray thick layer that just hangs there is horrible viewed from the U of U campus. It all comes down to what you want. Cedar might be more of a personalized experience. U of U it is if you work at to meet the teachers.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:15 PM

14 posts, read 76,883 times
Are you an undergrad or grad? What do you intend to study? Those are the first things you should think about in Utah schools. You can get pretty solid undergrad educations at the U of U and USU for bargain prices. But remember that it takes TWO YEARS TO ESTABLISH RESIDENCY IN UTAH thanks to our more than a little xenophobic legislature.

Logan is probably the lamest college town I've experienced (I'm a faculty wife who has seen quite a few). Don't expect to find any fine dining. The winter air pollution is horrible. The town/gown divide is wide and deep.

That said, if you're consumed with outdoor activities like snowboarding, rock climbing, mountain biking, fly fishing, etc, and can't get accepted to U Montana, USU might be your nirvana. Housing is still pretty cheap (but unfriendly to smokers, petlovers, and cohabitors). McJobs are abundant for students. USU also has the charming reputation for being a great place to find an LDS spouse.

Good luck!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,180 times
Default USU was good for me!

I thoroughly enjoyed my two years (upper division) at USU. Lived on campus in married student housing (the "triads") for the last year. I was a geology major and the opportunities for field study around the valley were extraordinary. I transferred to USU from the hippie-haven of UC Santa Cruz, and had a bit of culture shock for the first quarter or so. However, I was immersed in the academics and soon adjusted. My USU degree prepared me quite well for grad school at UC Berkeley (where I did my thesis on the geology of the hills around Logan), and ultimately a career at the US Geological Survey back in the SF Bay Area. That was over 30 years ago, though. The science programs were great then and (judging from the alumni magazine) it's clear that they have continued to get even better.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
I just moved to Logan and started a job at USU. USU seems to have a pretty good reputation for science majors. The scenery and the campus are really beautiful. My husband and I found dirt cheap housing for really nice place. If you are looking for more diversity and more of a college town though, Logan may not be for you. However, if you like the outdoors, there are so many excellant opportunities for mountain biking, hiking and skiing!

Since U of U is in SLC, there are more options for bars and shopping, and to me seems more like a college experience.

All depends on what you are looking for.

There is also Westminster University in SLC, which is a small liberal arts college.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:46 PM

413 posts, read 1,589,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostidaho View Post
But remember that it takes TWO YEARS TO ESTABLISH RESIDENCY IN UTAH thanks to our more than a little xenophobic legislature.
Good luck!
I don't understand the two year thing here. If one moves from another state and gets a drivers license in Utah, you're not a resident ? Are you then a citizen of the US without a state ?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:11 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
I don't understand the two year thing here. If one moves from another state and gets a drivers license in Utah, you're not a resident ? Are you then a citizen of the US without a state ?
Residency in this particular case refers to the cost of tuition. State colleges and universities charge out of state students higher tuition and require specific criteria for students to establish state residency in order to receive lower resident tuition rates. In California, one year is the norm, but there are a number of exceptions to the rule. Apparently, Utah is hardcore; therefore, it takes two years of permanent residency to receive the lower resident rates. So, no, in your scenario, people are not stateless.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 12,822 times
Default what do you want to study?

I'm going to second almostidaho, your intended field of study is an important consideration.

I'm not speaking from direct experience here, as I went to BYU myself, but here's what little I've heard:

UofU will offer the most options, of course, being the largest. They have a really strong reputation for the sciences, especially medicine. (They host one of the top medical centers in the country). I've heard their business school is good. Their music department is decent (my field).

Utah State got its start as an agricultural school. I know several people even recently who chose it for its strength in animal husbandry, etc. My bro-in-law wanted to be a forest ranger, and went there to study biology, etc. (He flunked out.)

Southern Utah hosts the Utah Shakespearean Festival, which is in the top five of festivals around the country. I don't know what courses they offer. I know they have a Shakespeare expert, because the resident expert gives seminars during the festival.

If you are choosing schools based solely on activities, environment, etc. (I hope not - that would be a bit short-sighted!), I don't know much about Logan.

UofU is closest to skiing, it is in the biggest city, etc.

Cedar is relatively near one ski resort, and is closest to the majority of Utah's National Parks (so hiking, some mountain biking, etc.) It's a small town, but does have a lot of fast food, to feed the festival guests.

There are a few other Utah schools (besides BYU) which you didn't list: -Snow College in the Ephraim/Manti area (probably the smallest)
-Dixie College in St. George
-UVSC (Utah Valley State College - working on University status) in Orem. UVSC started as a Tech, and is still very strong in practical studies. They have the best aviation program in the state, and offer computer science. (I know someone who teaches plumbing there.)

Old 12-19-2007, 08:37 AM

46 posts, read 234,374 times
Let me add Weber State University to your list of options. Unless you come from a state with a lottery scholarship, Utah is pretty cheap and Weber is still a public University under the states board of regents.
Weber splits the difference between UofU and SUU. Ogden is good sized town yet still retains great outdoor opportunities. The trail system behind ogden is world class with breathtaking views. I fact there is a trailhead in south ogden (Beus Canyon) which leads to the top of Strawberry (Powder Mountain). Powder mountain offers excellent sking (site of the olympic super-g and other downhill events). Weber and Ogden river are great for Kyaking (lots of caution during the springtime runnoff though).
Ogden has many nightclubs and social venues. Both Logan and Cedar are short on this aspect. Ogden doesn't get the winter as bad as Logan and having a better infrastructure is less affected by it than Cedar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah