Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:03 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,305,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Vancouver is advertised as "the Best place on Earth". So, people should only post the good and positive about it or nothing at all

Oh no....Botev1912 is that me??...I mean you??....I mean me?? Are you the real me under another username?? I'm having an identity crisis....which one of my other user ids are you??..so confused!!!....

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-05-2014 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

The more hysterical you guys get, the higher the entertainment value of this sub forum goes....I get a real kick out of it....the other sections by comparison are boring and mundane......the only reason I still hang around this place is to offer some genuine info to the newcomers and to entertain myself with the amount of delusion of grandeur...gosh not even New Yorkers or Londoners are anyway closer to this level...it is truly fascinating.
Genuine information, eh? Thanks.

I like all of your above belittling quote because it lets the real troll out of the bag. It will be useful in the future to re-post and quote you on it. Right along with any other forthcoming critical quotes of yours when I mention to new posters enquiring about Vancouver/Canada that this is what the above quoted person really thinks and therefore needs to be taken with a pinch of salt since he apparently isn't a Canadian, doesn't live in Canada, has never shown evidence of having ever stepped foot on Canadian soil and therefore cannot be considered to be offering "genuine" information.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-05-2014 at 08:44 PM..

Old 11-05-2014, 09:25 PM

[quote=Zoisite;37165769]Genuine information, eh? Thanks.

Yes....unbiased (as much as I can) info mentioning the good and the bad.....you are welcome

Quote:
I like all of your above belittling quote because it lets the real troll out of the bag. It will be useful in the future to re-post and quote you on it. Right along with any other forthcoming critical quotes of yours when I mention to new posters enquiring about Vancouver/Canada that this is what the above quoted person really thinks and therefore needs to be taken with a pinch of salt since he apparently isn't a Canadian, doesn't live in Canada, has never shown evidence of having ever stepped foot on Canadian soil and therefore cannot be considered to be offering "genuine" information.

Leaving aside the fact that people do actually do thank me occasionally for my inputs (via quick reputation or PM), your assumption about me "apparently" (to who I wonder) "not being a Canadian and never have shown evidence of stepping a foot on Canadian soil" is another of these things pulled out of your...you know what.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:02 AM

77 posts, read 134,623 times
To be honest Saturno, you havent lived in vancouver for years right? How do you know what you are saying is relevant?

You used to hate Seattle, thinking Vancouver was better - but you grew to like it and see more than the cover as you say. You also say that the city changed a lot as time went by. Is it impossible that Vancouver has done much to improve itself in the time you have been gone too?

When I was first researching Vancouver after getting a pretty exciting job offer based there, I was a bit disheartened by reading all of your, boticelli's and a couple of other peoples posts - only to go do my own research and find that rarely the drivel you keep spouting has any supporting facts or foundation. I dont know if this is because your information is out of date or if you are just so against Vancouver you make things up as you go along. It wasnt until I realised you dont even live in Vancouver that I ignored everything you said and looked at the facts (from stats canada for example) to form my own opinion.

Your uniformed, or perhaps malicious posts in this forum do harm the research that prospective residents are doing, and are not constructive. I imagine that this is positive feedback for you, as this is likely your intention, however I'm hoping that other people might read it and decide to do as I have done and take your posts for what they are.

I hope you are not as bitter in real life as you are on these forums. There might be a reason you couldnt find any dates

Old 11-06-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issus View Post
To be honest Saturno, you havent lived in vancouver for years right? How do you know what you are saying is relevant?
To be honest Issus, you haven't lived in Vancouver at all so far so (moving in January you said)......report back after actually you live there for a while.
I sincerely hope eveything is going to work for you however, let me remind you that there is a poster even on this small forum (bcasey25raptor) that was all sparkle & dazzle about Vancouver, follow his posts and see how he/she did change his tune after a year and a half......he would run for the border if he could (his words not mine) and he/she is a native Canadian....I'm not saying that this is going to happen to you but is something to think about.

You are not even green between your ears when it comes to living in Vancouver...

My thoughts after a year and a half in Vancouver

I live 130 miles south of Vancouver, I have several friends up there (actually two of my best friends in this continent live in North Van), I did business with a company in Vancouver up to a few years ago and I visit at least once every two months if not more often...so I know "present day Vancouver" very well.
If anything, things got worse since I left, cost of living is even higher, housing cost is insane (in the very late 90/very early 2000s was actually still affordable, believe it or not), salaries in my field and few others I have direct knowledge of have not kept up at all.
The only things slightly better are some badly needed routes/roads improvements.

Quote:
When I was first researching Vancouver after getting a pretty exciting job offer based there, I was a bit disheartened by reading all of your, boticelli's and a couple of other peoples posts - only to go do my own research and find that rarely the drivel you keep spouting has any supporting facts or foundation. I dont know if this is because your information is out of date or if you are just so against Vancouver you make things up as you go along. It wasnt until I realised you dont even live in Vancouver that I ignored everything you said and looked at the facts (from stats canada for example) to form my own opinion.

Your uniformed, or perhaps malicious posts in this forum do harm the research that prospective residents are doing, and are not constructive. I imagine that this is positive feedback for you, as this is likely your intention, however I'm hoping that other people might read it and decide to do as I have done and take your posts for what they are.

I hope you are not as bitter in real life as you are on these forums. There might be a reason you couldnt find any dates

You see, Issus, in life is all matter of choices, opportunities, expectations and eventually accrued life experience.

Since we are playing the "check out at what people said in the past" game in this forum, you talk about "a pretty exciting job offer" there, then I go look at what you said in some of your posts:

- "however as someone who is also moving to Vancouver, I'm taking a massive pay cut to move in order to make our dream of moving to Canada and become residents come true"

- "A few months ago, I got offered a job in vancouver that is too much fun (pay isnt great) to turn down, finally a job that i'll enjoy!"

- "the work would be very exciting for me and I'm one of only a handful of people in the world with experience in this sort of position."

- You are renting in Coquitlam.

- You are interested in a sub 6K car.

- You defined a ~60K salary for an 8 years of IT experience just "a bit low".

To me this is a pretty strong evidence that my "drivel", as you call it, is actually not that far off the mark....interesting that for a "job that only a handful of people in the world with experience in this sort of position." salary is, excuse my French, a bit crappy.

With all due respect, I have friends that live in North Van and downtown, own their own place outright (no mortgage), are fairly established in Van and half of them would leave if they could.

Furthermore, my "drivel without any supporting facts or foundation", the content of my "uninformed or perhaps malicious posts" is not some sort of dark secret or rocket science...is something very basic that can be searched very easily, I also posted articles about it...I guess that even some Canadian national media have some malicious agenda against Vancouver.

I'm not bitter at all, I'm actually very friendly and joyous about life, we may even meet someday in Van (I love to interact with Australians) so you can see it for yourself.....I just have certain expectations in life and I tend to be a realist with low tolerance for BS...

The good thing for you is that at least you must like the weather.....I hope...but maybe it's a bit premature because you did not actually spent a winter in Vancouver yet....however to leave Australia you must have at the very minimum some distaste for warmer climate....personally I would never dream to leave Australia for Canada but that's me.
You see people make mistakes, for example, I did choose Canada over Australia in the late 90s (I had a wonderful 3 years time Down Under in the early 90s) but I did not realize how bad weather affected me in the long run.

Put at least a year under your belt as resident before assuming people do not what they are talking about.

P.S.

I do not know if you are aware of this but if after a while you get tired of the weather or you are not satisfied with your salary/career progression, there is not the equivalent of a Trans-Tasman travel arrangement you guys have with the Kiwis between Canada and USA...you cannot just cross the border and get a job in the US....you need a qualified job offer to apply for a TN Visa which is not a residence and it is tied to that job....another alternative is a company transfer but even that is not a piece of cake or you have to line up like everybody else for a company full sponsorship.
I'm telling you this because many professionals that immigrate to Canada assume that if they do not like Canada they can just move south of the border....is not as easy as many people outside of North America think...just saying.

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-06-2014 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 06:25 PM

77 posts, read 134,623 times
Actually, if you read my other posts you'll find we were going to be moving Calgary, and still plan to once we have residency. I have spent two winters in Calgary and 4 weeks in BC during winter... -20 or -30 is no big deal, its just a pain waiting for the windows on the car to de-ice inside before you go. I've driven in almost blizzard conditions, and through 40cm of snow on back roads. I'm happy in jeans and a tshirt in -8c if there is no wind. I've worn board shorts and a tshirt snowboarding in Australia at -1c. Cold really doesn't bother me. I haven't ever been in Canada during summer. Jan/Feb/March here it doesn't go below 30c.. at all.. I cant sleep, always uncomfortable, its getting to 40c+ during the day.. I get sunburnt in under 10 minutes. I coped just fine with jan/feb/march in Calgary.

My salary is crappy to start with because it's not-quite full time. This is fine by me, i've been working my ass off the past few years to get to this point. Going from working 100+hrs a week to working 27 or so is always going to be a huge pay cut. Again, you do not have all the facts. There are also not a lot of jobs in that field (its one of several things i'm qualified for).. hence why i'm one of only a few. I could easily go for $150k job working as a programmer and/or electronics engineer - i've had offers in vancouver and calgary before - but i'm sick of programming to be honest. This job will give me a lot more freedom and a much much better lifestyle - sure it doesnt pay as well but we have a budget that fits and it looks like my wife has a job lined up now too

My wife and I have done our research and Canada as a whole offers the opportunities we want for our lives, the lifestyle we are looking for (mountains, hiking, snow, camping, but also lots of indoor activies and geeky stuff). If to get our foot in the door it means taking a big pay cut (with summer giving a lot more hours once the film industry swings back into motion), dropping my year old semi-luxury car for a 12-15 year old car.. then so be it. Life's not all about pay - having a job I'll enjoy and time to spend with my wife - the ability to get my fitness back and such a beautiful place to do it - perfect. Nevermind that everything there is 30-50% cheaper - yes including realestate.

Vancouver isnt going to be for everyone - just like Perth isnt for us. We're not into drinking, or beaches, or hot weather or Australian sports - there certainly are many people who do like that lifestyle.

Despite our dislike for Perth, you'll notice i'm not on the Perth forums trashing it in every thread that pops up. I'm here, sharing my research with other people so they have a starting point for their own. I wont be in the perth thread 6 years after we have left telling everyone its an awful place to be, without having lived there in half a decade either.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Despite our dislike for Perth, you'll notice i'm not on the Perth forums trashing it in every thread that pops up. I'm here, sharing my research with other people so they have a starting point for their own. I wont be in the perth thread 6 years after we have left telling everyone its an awful place to be, without having lived there in half a decade either.

I never "trashed" Vancouver and I quite clearly indicated the positives....I said over and over that if I were limited to Canada, Vancouver would be the only city where I would reside....that is quite the opposite of "trashing" to me....

Old 11-07-2014, 10:19 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,312,097 times
Quote:

You used to hate Seattle, thinking Vancouver was better - but you grew to like it and see more than the cover as you say. You also say that the city changed a lot as time went by. Is it impossible that Vancouver has done much to improve itself in the time you have been gone too?

Good post!

Old 11-07-2014, 10:51 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,312,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Apart from the gratuitous insulting clown comment (I do not know you, I'm not your brother nor your friend)....you do not address the issues, only showing your idiotic emotional sentimentalism devoid of any rationality.

Why don't you address what I said, the issues I talk about (hey you had "six years", according to some...Oops not really, my first post on the Vancouver forum was in 2013) and tell me where I'm wrong...do not shoot the messenger...

The only thing bothering me in Seattle nowadays is the weather...and the social scene is still not what I would like.....the city has improved A LOT in the last decade or so on many fronts..and I learned to appreciate what it has to offer....it is not a city you can get to know very quickly...and even me, when I just moved to Vancouver, I thought Van was "prettier" in my occasional trips to Seattle, I admit that...then I learned not to "judge a book" from its cover as they say....to sum it up, Vancouver quickly lost its shine and Seattle gained.....not ideal yet but you cannot have everything in life

I like the clown comment myself.

As far a movingwiththewind not addressing issues, .. been addressed many, many times. Probably got tired or bored with it all, and can't be bothered anymore.

The six year bit? .. perhaps you didn't post under your current identity since 2013, but can you honestly say you weren't posting before under different user names? If not, then my apology for my wild halucinations.

Just seems there's a few on here reading from the same script, word for word, which is kind of unusual. Maybe you just pick up on each other's lingo.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:15 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Let me ask this question.

If for 5 years, every time someone asks about life in Vancouver, Person A always enthusiastically talks about how beautiful the city is, how close it is by the ocean and mountains, how walkable downtown is, how fantastic it is a place for outdoor activities and how livable the city is.

On the other hand, Person B always mentions how ridiculously expensive it is, how the city lacks culture and sophistication, how scarce good jobs are, how depressively rainy it is for 5 months every year and how provincial people are. (while admitting the great things about Vancouver)

What many are saying is A is such a helpful forum member while B is such a troll and clown? Why isn't A considered a troll since he is repeating the same tiring message over and over again?

I honestly don't know why repeating the cons of a city is considered trolling while repeating the pros is totally fine.

Last edited by botticelli; 11-07-2014 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver