Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM

137 posts, read 454,268 times

Advertisements

. . . . just wondering since I hear Vancouver is so expensive to live in and gas is so high therer. Wondered it would be better to live just over the border in the U.S. and drive into work in Vancouver, paying less in housing and filling up the tank in the U.S. rather than Canada.

Are there any Americans that can shed any light on my thoughts, whether it is a good idea or not? THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 11:00 PM

216 posts, read 448,761 times
Are you American? Or Canadian?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 AM

American.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 AM

37 posts, read 109,875 times
I am a duel US and Canadian citizen. I was thinking about doing the same thing. There are pros and cons that I believey you already know: (assumming you have a work visa from Canada)

Pros:
- You can actually afford a decent house in the US
- Cheaper cost of living in terms of fuel / food / housing cost

Cons:
- Deal with both side of the customs on a daily basis.
- Higher health care premium - assumming you are getting insurance in the States. Are you getting coverage while you are in Canada as well. I don't think your Canadian employer will offer you coverage in the US. I maybe wrong.
- Depends on where you work (if south Surrey, then a shorter drive), your drive time maybe more than an hour each way. I am not saying that if you live in Vancouver area does not take you more than an hour each way though.
- Socializing with your co-worker - need to travel to Canada every time..

By the end of the day, I have decided to just live in Vancouver area.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 AM

Timmy:

This is still in the preliminary phase of a Vancouver employment but you can never start asking questions too early relating to a move out of the country. My husband and I are both US Citizens and he will be granted a work permit. I was wondering what I, as his wife, would be granted though. I will look for a job but won't be going up with one. What kind of permit would I get?

Regarding healthcare, since the job is in Vancouver I assume that he will get healthcare IF we lived in Canada but not in the U.S. and we would have to get our own - a negative.

Climate - my husband is from England and misses that kind of weather. He has been in the U.S. for 7 years now. I on the other hand would have a problem as I am used to sunny skies most of the time. But I can visit my kids/grandkids in Alabama when I need to.

Location - I think the job location is in North Vancouver, just on the other side of the Vancouver Harbour.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:57 AM

It sounds like just you and your husband are moving, so your kids are staying in Alabama? That may make the decision more straight forward.

With traveling from south of the border to North Vancouver, the traffic would be crazy during busy hours. I don't see the point of spending 2-3 hours commuting to and from work on a daily basis. Do you want to spend more time with your husband? Just the additional cost in gas and the additional US health insurance premium would balance things out with the higher cost of living in Vancouver. I also think the quality of living would be better too should you decided to live in Canada.

I am Canadian first and become US citizen last year, so I don't know if you can work in Canada. I think it is based on what kind of work visa you have. When I first come to the US, I obtained a work visa that allows my wife to gain employment as well. You may want to ask your husband's Canadian employer to see what kind of visa they are going to get for him.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM

Timmy -

Thanks again for your input.

Our kids our in the 20s and in college and/or married and on their own now. If they want to visit us in Canada they will have to get a passport.

And I do think I will start looking at prices in Vancouver. The job would be just north of the Harbour in North Vancouver. Suggestions for cities/towns/places to look?

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM

How close is his work place to the harbor (the Seabus terminal)? If within walking distance, you can consider downtown Vancouver (a bit pricy in rent, but you are in the middle of actions). You can either take the Seabus or drive thru the Lions Gate bridge. Properties just north of the Harbor is reasonable in rent (relatively speaking compares to the West side and downtown Vancouver). If you don't mind crossing the bridge, north Burnaby can also be considered.

I guess it depends on what you want: Actions - downtown, relax and nature - North Vancouver.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:08 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
It's too much of a hassle crossing the border every day, and you risk the border guards not letting you through if you're not a dual citizen. You could lose residency or other things if you live in the US but try and commute ever day. I wouldn't recommend it, but I don't know your legal status.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:50 PM

216 posts, read 448,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeInBrandon View Post
Timmy -

Thanks again for your input.

Our kids our in the 20s and in college and/or married and on their own now. If they want to visit us in Canada they will have to get a passport.

And I do think I will start looking at prices in Vancouver. The job would be just north of the Harbour in North Vancouver. Suggestions for cities/towns/places to look?

Thanks!
I live in Lynn Valley area of North Vancouver. What's your budget? are you renting or looking to buy? I don't think a purchase would be advisable at this point, lots of talk of price corrections in the news.
How long is the visa for? 1-3 years? Are you looking to permanently settle?
North Vancouver is very expensive, and rent is not going to be cheap. The advantage here is stunning mountains and a small town feel, despite only being across the water from Vancouver. Burnaby would be another great option for you guys. I wouldn't advise going any further east though, unless you like sitting in traffic for hours and hours/day. Vancouver itself has a lot of options for housing, but again the budget might not be there. A quick seabus ride would be fast for your husbands work.
The housing is cheaper the further east you go however.
As for the visa for you, it might be hard to do. Best advise is just to start hunting in your field, and see what leads you can scrounge up! It's not gonna be easy though, that's for sure. A friend of mine was in the same situation, and took him TWO years to find a job (he was from Europe, Canadian wife.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver