Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 05:18 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,332 times

Advertisements

I've been craving beans and cornbread. I have used the little mix boxes, but they all require eggs which I don't have. I bought some cornmeal to attempt corn dogs (which I haven't got around to yet) and see that the cornmeal package also specifies eggs for its cornbread recipe.

Is it possible to make a good cornbread without eggs? Do you have any tried and true recipes? Anyone have any experience with Ener-G egg replacer (http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?section=8&cat=8&id=97 - broken link)?

A second question, I made cornmeal mush with my cornmeal like my Italian neighbors make but it isn't nearly as good. OK though, served with toast and Lightlife's Gimme Lean Sausage in place of grits. I had some left over which went into a container in the fridge. The next day I got it out and it had gelled and molded itself into the shape of the container. Looks just like the Polenta one gets in those plastic tubes. Was my day old mush the same as Polenta? I've seen some recipes here in the food forum for fried Polenta which look interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 05:21 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
i like this cornbread recipe, no egg replacer required:

Vegan Cornbread*:: theppk.com Vegan Recipe Database

and yes, polenta is just very solid cornmeal mush. to get it that way straight away you just use a higher cornmeal to water ratio, then let it cool. i think most brands of cornmeal have a polenta recipe on them.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i like this cornbread recipe, no egg replacer required ...
Wow, thanks for your answer! I am so looking forward to making this.

Here's a tasty tune for you YouTube - Louis Jordan & The Tympany Five ~ Beans and Cornbread (1949)

Old 08-08-2010, 05:42 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,912 times
My grandma used to use mayo in her corn bread when she was out of eggs.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:50 PM

Thanks for that Grandmom's know what they're doing

Old 08-08-2010, 06:03 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Anyone have any experience with Ener-G egg replacer (http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?section=8&cat=8&id=97 - broken link)?
Yes, I've used this product ~ though not in cornbread ~ and it has worked very well. I always have a box on hand and it seems to have a long shelf-life. I've made cakes and quick breads with it. So it seems it would be OK in cornbread.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Yes, I've used this product ~ though not in cornbread ~ and it has worked very well ...
Thanks for your product review. The food coop where I got it years ago is long out of business. But I see it is available online

Old 08-10-2010, 11:54 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
I hear you you have a craving that needs satisfaction. I have used egg replacements in a variriety of recipes with a variety of results.
Not sure about the brand that you mention but the brand I had on hand worked rather well with corn bread!
Most commercial mayo contains eggs so I would be reluctant to tell you to use mayo as a replacement and I have no idea how vegan mayo would work.
Grits are fine for vegans as long as you do not add pork, ham, cheese or butter. use Earth balance and enjoy to your hearts content!
Plenta is very much like grits. When I first had it I thought it was fried grits with tomato sauce.
No eggs in polenta either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food