Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM

629 posts, read 1,175,518 times

Advertisements

The original pizza invented in Napoli, Italy didn't even have cheese! Just beautiful dough, fresh sauce, garden grown oregano, olive oil

They still make it this way at places like Pizza de Michele, a nearly 200-year-old family owned business where people line up for 45 minutes to get one of only two items on the menu: with cheese or without
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 11:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
The original pizza invented in Napoli, Italy didn't even have cheese! Just beautiful dough, fresh sauce, garden grown oregano, olive oil

They still make it this way at places like Pizza de Michele, a nearly 200-year-old family owned business where people line up for 45 minutes to get one of only two items on the menu: with cheese or without
When I was 21, I traveled through Europe for the summer. (This was 26 years ago. My God, I'm old. Anyway...) On our first day in Italy, we sat down at a quaint restaurant, on their terrace, and ordered some lunch. I got the pizza. Not being able to read Italian, I really didn't know what I was getting, but that's fine. Part of the experience. I was so surprised when my pizza came without cheese. Our waiter understood and spoke a bit of English, so I asked him about the cheese. Nope, cheese is not the REAL Italian way, it seems. Fair enough! Va bene!

By the way, it was probably the best pizza I've ever had.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Daiya Foods | Deliciously dairy free

Ive had this kind and veggie shreds, veggie shreds is God awful. This one is so much better. But going from dairy cheese to a vegan cheese will take some getting used to.
and I can be pretty sure, it is something I would never get used to. I can go the veggie anytime, I do quite often, but there can be no such thing as vegan cheese. Look up the definition of cheese?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:54 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
Yes, and this is one of the reasons I can't go full out vegan. I need milk and eggs.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:24 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
When I was 21, I traveled through Europe for the summer. (This was 26 years ago. My God, I'm old. Anyway...) On our first day in Italy, we sat down at a quaint restaurant, on their terrace, and ordered some lunch. I got the pizza. Not being able to read Italian, I really didn't know what I was getting, but that's fine. Part of the experience. I was so surprised when my pizza came without cheese. Our waiter understood and spoke a bit of English, so I asked him about the cheese. Nope, cheese is not the REAL Italian way, it seems. Fair enough! Va bene!

By the way, it was probably the best pizza I've ever had.

What a great experience!

It seems most Americans think pizza has to be topped with several inches of cheese.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I can be pretty sure, it is something I would never get used to. I can go the veggie anytime, I do quite often, but there can be no such thing as vegan cheese. Look up the definition of cheese?
There are some really good vegan cheese alternatives available, Daiya is one.

It does take some getting used to, and for years I was vegetarian but didn't think I could give up cheese.

I guess I just buried my head in the sand and imagined that dairy cows lived like the "contented cow" that was pictured on Carnation evaporated milk cans. Kicking up their heels in the pasture, etc. Then I happened to visit a friend who had a family dairy farm on the very day that one day old baby calves were being taken away from their mothers to be sold at auction........I will never get the bawling of the baby cows or the frantic sounds of the mothers calling their babies out of my head. Some of the mother cows tried to climb over the fence to get their babies.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
What a great experience!

It seems most Americans think pizza has to be topped with several inches of cheese.
I wonder if I was more "forgiving" of the lack of inches of cheese because I'm Canadian. Seriously. Since I moved to the U.S. seven years ago, I've noticed a BIG difference in eating styles between Canadians and Americans. Granted, I'm from Montreal, which is slightly European in terms of architecture and food, so maybe the acceptance of the Italian way was easier... and the variance between Canadian plates and American ones all the more obvious. I dunno.

But LMAO at "inches of cheese." It's so true! (And disgusting.) I love cheese, but really... my gosh! Inches!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I wonder if I was more "forgiving" of the lack of inches of cheese because I'm Canadian. Seriously. Since I moved to the U.S. seven years ago, I've noticed a BIG difference in eating styles between Canadians and Americans. Granted, I'm from Montreal, which is slightly European in terms of architecture and food, so maybe the acceptance of the Italian way was easier... and the variance between Canadian plates and American ones all the more obvious. I dunno.

But LMAO at "inches of cheese." It's so true! (And disgusting.) I love cheese, but really... my gosh! Inches!
So many American dishes are covered with cheese. I have been to restaurants where you can't recognize the food on the plates because it is completely covered with cheese.

It almost seems like a lazy way to cook, it doesn't matter what the food looks like, just mound some cheese on the top and no one will see the food underneath.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
So many American dishes are covered with cheese. I have been to restaurants where you can't recognize the food on the plates because it is completely covered with cheese.

It almost seems like a lazy way to cook, it doesn't matter what the food looks like, just mound some cheese on the top and no one will see the food underneath.
That's so true. I learned from watching cooking shows -- and also personal preference -- that you shouldn't have cheese on seafood. Yet every time I've ordered a seafood dish, they ask me if I want Parmesan cheese on it. No! It's actually surprising -- you're right -- that they don't offer the dish with melted cheese covering it.

ACK! I shouldn't be talking about seafood on the vegetarian/vegan forum. I'm sorry.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:

ACK! I shouldn't be talking about seafood on the vegetarian/vegan forum. I'm sorry.
It"s ok, you are the nicest non-vegetarian on the forum.

Besides, you share wonderful recipes with us, as well as your sparkling personality.

And your brussel sprout recipe actually got my daughter to eat brussels sprouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food