Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 AM

915 posts, read 2,129,367 times

Advertisements

I've always had this stubborn 10-15 lbs. that I want to lose, and it's all the more important, I think, if I want to appear in public as a musician, to get this off. So I thought I'd cut out the canola and olive oil I use, completely. (John Robbins mentions canola oil, as being contaminated, which surprised me as I thought it was "safe!") I do eat walnuts and almonds, in small amounts, every day. I know some doctors recommend zero extra oil.

What would the results be; I've cut out these oils for a week and I feel like I'm losing weight, but I must say I feel hungrier, though it is sort of a good feeling.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
I think it is important to factor in a couple of things: 1-as we age loosing too much weight make us look older. For those who have always been on the slender side it is a little difference, but for those who are rounder, a few extra lbs isn't all that bad..and 2-without enough oils in our system, our skin begins to age very quickly. for those past 60, this is something to consider. Vegan are getting very little fat without eliminating oils. Of course nuts have a lot of natural oil, but again, they also have a lot of calories.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I've always had this stubborn 10-15 lbs. that I want to lose, and it's all the more important, I think, if I want to appear in public as a musician, to get this off. So I thought I'd cut out the canola and olive oil I use, completely. (John Robbins mentions canola oil, as being contaminated, which surprised me as I thought it was "safe!") I do eat walnuts and almonds, in small amounts, every day. I know some doctors recommend zero extra oil.

What would the results be; I've cut out these oils for a week and I feel like I'm losing weight, but I must say I feel hungrier, though it is sort of a good feeling.
I agree with nmnita on this... cutting out oils is not the answer, you need oils and nuts in your diet. If you are concerned about canola oil, buy only Organic.

The answer, if you want to lose wight is simple... cut your portions sizes. And reduce oils if you have been using them excessively, but keep the nutrition balanced.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think it is important to factor in a couple of things: 1-as we age loosing too much weight make us look older. For those who have always been on the slender side it is a little difference, but for those who are rounder, a few extra lbs isn't all that bad..and 2-without enough oils in our system, our skin begins to age very quickly. for those past 60, this is something to consider. Vegan are getting very little fat without eliminating oils. Of course nuts have a lot of natural oil, but again, they also have a lot of calories.
Agree with nmnita also. Oil is not making you gain weight as long as you are not drinking it by the bottle! There are many studies that say that a small quantity of oil actually helps people to lose weight.
I am not a scientist or a dietician, but what I read made sense.

If you feel you are gaining weight or want to lose weight, I would add more leafy green vegetables, limit starchy vegetables and bread, drink lots of water, eat 3 or 4 pieces of fruit a day and drink eight glasses of water a day. And I would NOT eliminate oil.
And as openD said, cut portion size.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM

I don't see how I could cut my portions down any more. I also do a T. of ground flaxseed every day. (Omega3).

So you guys don't give any credence to McDougall or Ornish ?

Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I don't see how I could cut my portions down any more. I also do a T. of ground flaxseed every day. (Omega3).

So you guys don't give any credence to McDougall or Ornish ?
No I do not. I am very familiar with Dean Ornish and I really do not agree with him. The other one, less so, but I do not believe in cutting out oil or fat.

I think that certain fat is beneficial. For example in moderation, the fat in avocados.

If you can't cut portions any more, and I believe you, exercise more. As we get older, our metabolism slows, and exercise becomes imperative.

Also, I don't know anything about you. It could be that you were once a size 2 and now you are a 6 and perhaps that's normal for you.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:00 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
People that say that you need to add oil to a healthy diet do not know what they are talking about - they haven't tried it and therefore dismiss the idea becaue they are either mis-informed or threatened by the idea that something out of the realm of their knowledge actually works.

My husband and I eat no added oil in our diet and that, in addition to cutting out animal products, has contributed to a weight loss of 25 lbs. for each of us over the last 3 months. Olive oil is 120 calories a tablespoon - if you look at many recipes, they often call for sauteing vegetables and/or meat in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oil and often add more fat at some point in the recipe. Then if you have a salad with dressing, butter on your roll or bread, steamed vegetables with a pat of butter, other animal fats in the meal and a small dessert - well, you have consumed 200 to 800 calories of fat in that one dinner, depending on ingredients and portion size.

We eat huge amounts of every kind of vegetable, beans, nuts, seeds and legumes - we have avocados often, nuts ever day(in moderation) - walnuts, almonds, pistachios, pecans or peanuts, flax seed meal. We drink small amounts of soy milk 2 or 3 times a week and eat tofu a couple of times a week - so we are getting plenty of fat. My skin is still soft and not dry and we are healthy and energetic - we are getting plenty of fat from naturally occuring fats in the foods that we eat.

You do not need extra fat in your diet and anyone can be perfectly healthy without added oil as long as they eat a carefully balanced diet of a large variety of natural healthy foods.

Last edited by Cattknap; 10-31-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 10-31-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
People that say that you need to add oil to a healthy diet do not know what they are talking about - they haven't tried it and therefore dismiss the idea becaue they are either mis-informed or threatened by the idea that something out of the realm of their knowledge actually works.
Ouch! (Yes, that's what I was thinking but I didn't want to say it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
My husband and I eat no added oil in our diet and that, in addition to cutting out animal products, has contributed to a weight loss of 25 lbs. for each of us over the last 3 months. Olive oil is 120 calories a tablespoon - if you look at many recipes, they often call for sauteing vegetables and/or meat in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oil and often add more fat at some point in the recipe. Then if you have a salad with dressing, butter on your roll or bread, steamed vegetables with a pat of butter, other animal fats in the meal and a small dessert - well, you have consumed 200 to 800 calories of fat in that one dinner, depending on ingredients and portion size.

We eat huge amounts of every kind of vegetable, beans, nuts, seeds and legumes - we have avocados often, nuts ever day(in moderation) - walnuts, almonds, pistachios, pecans or peanuts, flax seed meal. We drink small amounts of soy milk 2 or 3 times a week and eat tofu a couple of times a week - so we are getting plenty of fat. My skin is still soft and not dry and we are healthy and energetic - we are getting plenty of fat from naturally occuring fats in the foods that we eat.

You do not need extra fat in your diet and anyone can be perfectly healthy without added oil as long as they eat a carefully balanced diet of a large variety of natural healthy foods.
I do avacados, too. Ground flax seed, walnuts, almonds. I didn't know tofu had fat in it, but I do that, too, 3-4 times a week, scrambled for breakfast or stir-fried.

I've already started losing that stubborn bit of weight I want to lose, just after a week of no oil in the stir fry or the baking. Also just received, today in the mail, the vegan Omega-3. Don't know if that will throw my program off:

Vegan DHA EPA from algae - 100% vegetarian Omega-3

Unrelated to this (?), saw a recipe for vegan "ice cream" on facebook, the usual frozen banana base but adding cocoa and frozen cherries. It's yummy (had it once so far). Found the cocoa at United, a dark chocolate, which (to me, anyway) is a new product. Wonder if that will defeat my purpose?

Old 10-31-2012, 05:53 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
The easiest way to lose weight is to reduce fats of all kinds -- remember that a gram of protein or carbohydrate has 4 calories and a gram of fat has 9, so every gram of fat you cut has about twice the caloric impact of cutting the other two. And most people eat enough fat to sink a battleship -- as long as you don't cut them out completely you will be in good shape, in both sense of that term.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
The easiest way to lose weight is to reduce fats of all kinds -- remember that a gram of protein or carbohydrate has 4 calories and a gram of fat has 9, so every gram of fat you cut has about twice the caloric impact of cutting the other two.
True, but cutting too much fat out of the diet has the effect of leaving a lot of people feeling hungry and deprived. Not everyone eats as much nuts as you do, and nuts are full of fats, so they're very satisfying to eat.

My earlier point about cutting portion sizes is the observation that when people "go on a diet" they typically throw their nutritional balance off in the process, which is why they can't wait to get off the diet, and why the weight loss is nearly always temporary.

But rather than go on a push for a rapid weight loss, the proven method is to accept a slow, incremental weight loss caused by a permanent change in one's eating habits. And in general that means a slow, incrememntal change in what one eats as well. Certainly, if a careful analysis shows that one's use of oils is excessive, than a reduction is in order. But if the balance is right, then reduction of portion sizes is the best approach overall. And it often doesn't need to be a drastic change. A 10% reduction is hardly enough to notice at the dinner table, but can produce a notable change in weight over time.

And the key to doing that is to measure portions. Whether by measuring cup or scale, eliminating judgment from the equation is important. Judging portions by eye is a mistake, because hunger changes perception. You'll always put more on your plate when hungry than when not.

As a former chef in a veg'an restaurant I learned that portion control is important to a restaurant's profitability. At home I learned it's a key to controlling weight issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food