Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,320,695 times

Advertisements

A good article about adding vegetables to your smoothies- I will have to try this sometime.

Green smoothies: Full of health benefits or hype?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
Great, if you can choke it down. I can do a mild one, cucumber, apple, a few leaves of spinach. But, really, in juicing, you are other getting the benefits of chewing the food, which takes energy, and digesting the food.

Personally, I will go with a salad. I like eating. A drink does not feel like a meal to me.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 AM

117 posts, read 202,247 times
Where is that facepalm thingie when I need it?
[list=1][*]Green smoothies are to increase alkalinity in one's diet, not as the sole food intake.[*]Green smoothies contain the fiber in the plant, whereas juices remove most. Total fiber=no significat sugar spikes.[*]A high-speed blender breaks down the cellulose (plant roughage) that tends to not break down completely and thereby not allow all nutrients to be absorbed.

It's amazing how these articles act like you have to be "so concerned" and yet how many anti-coffee articles do you ever read? Or anti-cow secretions?

Oh and oxalic acid is a concern with COOKED greens, not raw, according to Norman Walker. Makes perfect sense.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:16 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,060,380 times
My husband and I drink a green smoothie every night for dinner...our smoothies have more vegetables than fruit...we rotate our organic greens and use low glycemic fruit, hydrated chia seed, sometimes a little hemp powder...we use a wide variety of greens (including herbs), a whole sliced lemom...lots of ice and a little liquid stevia.....really delicious....we are slim and healthy.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:29 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,771,688 times
Green smoothies are great for people like me who know we need more leafy greens, but loathe the taste.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,817,917 times
I'd rather eat my veggies than drink them, so no thanks on the green smoothies. As long as you're eating greens, it really doesn't matter in what form. I don't even like fruit smoothies so one made with kale is a definite NO.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,459,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi Jyoti View Post
Oh and oxalic acid is a concern with COOKED greens, not raw, according to Norman Walker. Makes perfect sense.
The reverse is indicated by scientific research, which shows that oxalic acid content in kale, spinach and other leafy greens is reduced by cooking. In any case, the best way to deal with possible oxalic acid buildup is to rotate your greens, rather than just eating/juicing kale or spinach all the time.

I took several workshops with Victoria and Sergei Boutenko many years ago in NYC, and I found their approach to green juicing (blending, actually) to be very interesting, so I really got into it for a while. For some people it works well, and I still recommend people check it out for themselves. There's a lot of good info on their website... Green Smoothie Recipes by Victoria Boutenko | Raw Family

But, like pretty much everything in diet and nutrition, Your Mileage May Vary. You really have to be willing to be honest with yourself about what works and what doesn't work FOR YOU. Personally, their approach didn't work for me. But it might for you.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The reverse is indicated by scientific research, which shows that oxalic acid content in kale, spinach and other leafy greens is reduced by cooking. In any case, the best way to deal with possible oxalic acid buildup is to rotate your greens, rather than just eating/juicing kale or spinach all the time.

I took several workshops with Victoria and Sergei Boutenko many years ago in NYC, and I found their approach to green juicing (blending, actually) to be very interesting, so I really got into it for a while. For some people it works well, and I still recommend people check it out for themselves. There's a lot of good info on their website... Green Smoothie Recipes by Victoria Boutenko | Raw Family

But, like pretty much everything in diet and nutrition, Your Mileage May Vary. You really have to be willing to be honest with yourself about what works and what doesn't work FOR YOU. Personally, their approach didn't work for me. But it might for you.
Oxalic Acid | J.R. Organics CSA

Old 08-14-2013, 03:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,459,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi Jyoti View Post
The problem I see with that is that it uses voodoo science theories to explain something that mainstream scientific research does not support.

Oxalic acid is a chemical. It is not alive. So arguing that cooking changes the "live" version into the "dead" version only makes sense in an alternate reality where the physical laws of our universe don't apply.

I had health issues due to oxalic acid buildup when I was consuming a lot of raw kale, spinach, etc., so I have a real-world appreciation of how this actually works. And as I said earlier, being sensitive to your own needs and doing what actually works for your body is far better than blindly believing some diet-guru's unproven theories.

Here's a more straightforward take on this subject...

Quote:
"A 2005 study found that boiling reduced the level of oxalic acid in food. In a test of foods high in oxalic acid, researchers found that boiling spinach reduces oxalic acid by 87 percent whereas steaming reduces it by 42 percent. In every vegetable studied, boiling is more effective than steaming. "
Reducing Oxalic Acid in Your Vegetables for More Calcium | Calcium Rich Foods

Old 08-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Default LOL...Heat is a destructive force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The problem I see with that is that it uses voodoo science theories to explain something that mainstream scientific research does not support.

Oxalic acid is a chemical. It is not alive. So arguing that cooking changes the "live" version into the "dead" version only makes sense in an alternate reality where the physical laws of our universe don't apply.

I had health issues due to oxalic acid buildup when I was consuming a lot of raw kale, spinach, etc., so I have a real-world appreciation of how this actually works. And as I said earlier, being sensitive to your own needs and doing what actually works for your body is far better than blindly believing some diet-guru's unproven theories.

Here's a more straightforward take on this subject...
Use any negative descriptor for living foods you want but it just makes perfect sense that enzymes are catalysts. I am even going to predict that eventually the "brilliant" researchers/scientists will one day really that vitamins need the enzymatic activity to properly work.

Calcium is a mineral that can collect in the body when in a dead form(via cooking or calcium supplements).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food