Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 10:33 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

The anti-vegans will sure to find a way to nitpick and analyze this study for any and all faults, and continue to believe that animal meat is still much 'healthier' than plant based meat alternatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwSla0m4MBk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 10:45 PM

335 posts, read 187,269 times
Could you give me the main points? I don't really care to spend time watching. I am, however, interested in the case to stop eating meat as it is something I am considering.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:07 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The anti-vegans will sure to find a way to nitpick and analyze this study for any and all faults, and continue to believe that animal meat is still much 'healthier' than plant based meat alternatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwSla0m4MBk
I have learned to ignore such meat industry generated hysteria. It's so predictable.Idon't evencare tohear what they have to say.

Meat substitutes can be a wholesome and delicious addition toa meat-free diet. Should it be the center of one's diet. NO. Every meal should have more green vegetables than protein or carbohydrates.

Should they be eaten every day of the week? Probably not.

Still, it's a clean, healthy and nutritious food.

Their scare tactics are nothing short of pathetic. Fewer and fewer people are choosing meat at their source of protein. Those are the facts.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:17 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
Could you give me the main points? I don't really care to spend time watching. I am, however, interested in the case to stop eating meat as it is something I am considering.
So you're interested in the subject, but don't care to spend the time it takes to watch a five-minute video? We're not talking about an hour-long video here. Or half an hour for that matter. Hell, we're not even talking about 10 minutes. It's 5 friggin minutes, lol. You seriously need to be given the main points of a five-minute video??

I'd give you a quick rundown of the study's findings, but it might take you 30-45 seconds to read and you may not care to devote that much time to the subject. So I'll make it as brief as possible:

plants - good, meat - bad.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:37 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
As MMoB pointed out, it's FIVE MINUTES LONG. I am not a vegetarian and don't plan to become one (although I DO have meatless days and enjoy the food I prepare for them), but I took 5 minutes to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have learned to ignore such meat industry generated hysteria. It's so predictable.Idon't evencare tohear what they have to say.
Sheena, the video is from an institute on plant-based substitutes; it's in FAVOR of said substitutes. It's not from the meat industry.

The study DID have some weaknesses (e.g., small sample size, limited duration, sponsored by a meatless-substitute company) but its findings are interesting -- especially about the order of the groups/what they ate and what the found about that (short version: doing the veggie-only weeks FIRST had benefits). It made me want to read the original journal article (and I will when I have more time!).

Old 08-21-2020, 07:13 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
As MMoB pointed out, it's FIVE MINUTES LONG. I am not a vegetarian and don't plan to become one (although I DO have meatless days and enjoy the food I prepare for them), but I took 5 minutes to watch.

Sheena, the video is from an institute on plant-based substitutes; it's in FAVOR of said substitutes. It's not from the meat industry.

The study DID have some weaknesses (e.g., small sample size, limited duration, sponsored by a meatless-substitute company) but its findings are interesting -- especially about the order of the groups/what they ate and what the found about that (short version: doing the veggie-only weeks FIRST had benefits). It made me want to read the original journal article (and I will when I have more time!).
Karen, I should have listened. Or watched it. I am never a willfully ignorant person. I have come to the point where I am just tired of arguing and defending myself.

Are these products processed? Sure. They are. Are they more healthy than meat? I think so. In many ways. They do not have the stress hormone of a terrified and brutalized animal. They are lacking in saturated fats. Which is good. They are sustainable and do not polute the aqifer not do they contribute to de-forrestation.

Sociology was one of my two majors in college. I know you are a PhD sociologist. That is what I wanted for myself. Life forced me into another direction.

One of my favorite undergraduate professors was Erich Goode. That was at Stony Brook University, where I completed my undergrad degree after my mom's death from cancer.

I contributed to one of his textbooks on Sociology of Devience. I was also an undergraduate TA. I loved teaching.

It was through Professor Goode that I learned and embraced the concept of "Harm Reduction", and to this day, I consider myself to be a "Harm Reductionist".

I agree with your assertions about the video - and it's flaws.

Also, I have come to the point on City Data where "anti meat analog" arguments are just so predictable. So expected.

I am not a vegan, Hell, I am not technically even a "vegetarian". I eat wild caught fish and sea food. Iraised my children as vegetarians and told them why. Later, one became a vegan, the other an omnivore. I NEVER told either what to eat at school, part

Partially because, I realized, at a certain point, that the Dairy Industry was as bad and complicit in the factory farm and cruelty factors that first lead me to eschew meat.

I am tired of hearing about the "horrors" of faux meat.

Let us instead fucs on the horrors of animal farming.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:22 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,766,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
So you're interested in the subject, but don't care to spend the time it takes to watch a five-minute video? We're not talking about an hour-long video here. Or half an hour for that matter. Hell, we're not even talking about 10 minutes. It's 5 friggin minutes, lol. You seriously need to be given the main points of a five-minute video??

I'd give you a quick rundown of the study's findings, but it might take you 30-45 seconds to read and you may not care to devote that much time to the subject. So I'll make it as brief as possible:

plants - good, meat - bad.
Dude, that was kind of a rude post.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:08 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Dude, that was kind of a rude post.
True, but you have to admit I had a valid point.

I realize that this is a TL;DR world in which we now live, but requesting a synopsis of the high points of a 5-minute video is ridiculous.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:45 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I think that if done right, a vegan or vegetarian diet can be healthy.

Beyond Meat, one of the top ingredients, canola-oil, that is not what I would consider healthy.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:51 AM

119 posts, read 45,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
True, but you have to admit I had a valid point.

I realize that this is a TL;DR world in which we now live, but requesting a synopsis of the high points of a 5-minute video is ridiculous.
Not really. It's customary to summarize the gist of the video or article. This will determine if I want more details. I'm not inclined to waste time on information overload just because you're unable to give us a quick summary.

you know, something like "Fake meat is fake and just not natural for humans to eat," for example.

and no, I didn't watch because nothing you said made me interested. I keep waiting for an article that shows just how disgusting this product is, which is why I clicked on it.

Last edited by MeNoSavvy; 08-25-2020 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food