Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 09:27 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Vegans have latched on to them since it isn't actually animal flesh but the fact remains, it is made to look like the real thing.
And your point is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 12:49 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And your point is?
Since the thought of killing animals for meat and eating dead animal flesh is so repulsive, why would you want to eat something that looks and tastes (I assume) like animal flesh?

Let me guess your response, maybe something like "It doesn't matter, as long as there are no animals harmed, it's ok" or "I like the taste of meat but don't agree with the way animals are slaughtered"

I would kind of agree with you on the second one by the way.

Am I close?

I realize vegans don't eat fake meat at every meal but why not a real veggie burger made from beans and actual vegetables? You could not harm animals and eat healthy at the same time.

Ironically, the target market for fake meat are omnivores and carnivores who want to pretend they are eating healthy or saving the environment as I mentioned. I think it's more of the former. Let's face it, eating a fake meat burger is not going to save anything.

Last edited by gguerra; 10-23-2020 at 12:58 PM..

Old 10-23-2020, 07:04 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I do not cook any veg that I eat. That's correct, get the full enzymes and trace minerals. Many veg, once they are cooked it becomes a starch.

If you eat processed and fully cooked veg, you are missing a lot of nutrients. You're only getting mainly the fiber.

That is patently a false statement that people in Asia and Italy that eats noodles are healthier. What they eat that keeps them healthy are not the noodles. Obviously you fell for the healthy Asia high carb diet fallacy. However, obesity is rising very fast in Asia and Europe too.

In Asia or Italy, people walk and live an active lifestyle. Most people do not eat pastas or noodles daily. Ramen is a fast comfort food. The breads and pastas in Italy uses local flour which is superior to wheat in America. They use higher quality yeast and the wheat does not have pesticides which causes inflammation.

People need to get educated why in America our food supply is terrible.
Bioavailability changes with heat. Sometimes it can be good. I eat a mix of raw and cooked.

Look at tomatoes and what heat does to them.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:40 AM

524 posts, read 246,098 times
Quote:
Since the thought of killing animals for meat and eating dead animal flesh is so repulsive, why would you want to eat something that looks and tastes (I assume) like animal flesh?

Let me guess your response, maybe something like "It doesn't matter, as long as there are no animals harmed, it's ok" or "I like the taste of meat but don't agree with the way animals are slaughtered"

Am I close?

I realize vegans don't eat fake meat at every meal but why not a real veggie burger made from beans and actual vegetables? You could not harm animals and eat healthy at the same time.

Ironically, the target market for fake meat are omnivores and carnivores who want to pretend they are eating healthy or saving the environment as I mentioned. I think it's more of the former. Let's face it, eating a fake meat burger is not going to save anything.
For the same reason that omnivores will reach for something pre-made: sometimes there isn’t the time or energy to worry about dietary purity. I make my own veggie burgers and I eat beans and vegetables all. the. time. It’s time-consuming, so yeah, every so often it’s nice to have something someone else made.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You do not cook anything you eat?

Does he not chew his food and mix it with his enzyme rich saliva?

But seriously, there is a big difference between cooking food and a Franken-burger made in a lab by scientists with a million dollar chemistry set.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:54 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I do not cook any veg that I eat. That's correct, get the full enzymes and trace minerals. Many veg, once they are cooked it becomes a starch.

If you eat processed and fully cooked veg, you are missing a lot of nutrients. You're only getting mainly the fiber.

That is patently a false statement that people in Asia and Italy that eats noodles are healthier. What they eat that keeps them healthy are not the noodles. Obviously you fell for the healthy Asia high carb diet fallacy. However, obesity is rising very fast in Asia and Europe too.

In Asia or Italy, people walk and live an active lifestyle. Most people do not eat pastas or noodles daily. Ramen is a fast comfort food. The breads and pastas in Italy uses local flour which is superior to wheat in America. They use higher quality yeast and the wheat does not have pesticides which causes inflammation.

People need to get educated why in America our food supply is terrible.
I lived in China decades ago and travelled to various surrounding Asian countries, and can tell you that the typical Asian diet -- the one that kept then lean and healthy -- consisted of mainly rice or noodles, a similar-sized portion of vegetables, and a much smaller portion of meat or fish. In fact, rice or noodle dishes were even eaten at breakfast and as desserts. The reason obesity is rising in Asia now is because they are eating more western-like -- more meat, fast-food, and packaged junk food.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,470 times
Quote:

Am I close?

This is why I am vegan. I used to LOVE a good steak, hotdogs with onions from the street vendors in NYC, McDonald's Big Macs, chicken cutlet parmigiana, meatballs, and cheese until someone introduced me to the horrors of the meat/dairy production industry. I still, after 25 years of not eating animal products, crave meat on occasion, and on those occasions, I will eat a meat substitute like those made by Gardein. It satisfies my craving and no animal gets hurt.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:28 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Not all vegan lifestyles are healthy, plenty of vegans eat plant based meats. Veganism isn't a diet. It's about the animals.
No matter how much this is said, it seems not to be understood. "About the animals".

Old 10-26-2020, 07:47 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Turd Collector View Post
For the same reason that omnivores will reach for something pre-made: sometimes there isn’t the time or energy to worry about dietary purity. I make my own veggie burgers and I eat beans and vegetables all. the. time. It’s time-consuming, so yeah, every so often it’s nice to have something someone else made.
You can buy them already made. My wife who is vegetarian chooses to make her own but you can easily buy them.

https://www.eatthis.com/best-veggie-burgers

Old 10-26-2020, 11:44 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
This is why I am vegan. I used to LOVE a good steak, hotdogs with onions from the street vendors in NYC, McDonald's Big Macs, chicken cutlet parmigiana, meatballs, and cheese until someone introduced me to the horrors of the meat/dairy production industry. I still, after 25 years of not eating animal products, crave meat on occasion, and on those occasions, I will eat a meat substitute like those made by Gardein. It satisfies my craving and no animal gets hurt.
This.

(those Gardein meatballs...OMG)

Most people that are vegan were once meat eaters. They grew up eating burgers and meatballs and chicken. Realizing the horrors that animals go through stops a person from eating them, yes, but does not cancel out what tastes good. If someone can eat a burger that is delicious and meaty that is made from plants? Why not?

Also, again, I would like to mention that it is usually not the flavor of the actual flesh itself that is enjoyable, it is the seasonings, the sauces, the gravies. All of these things are usually made from plants such as seasonings, or can very easily be made with plants. I doubt very much that a meat eater would enjoy a steak nearly as much if it was just left as it was carved. Plain.

Why NOT enjoy the foods and flavors we were raised with, but without the cruelty to the animals and the huge environmental impact to the planet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food