Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:17 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Earth Balance - the consistency and taste is much better than Smart Balance.
Haven't heard of this brand! Do they have a full range of products ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 04:24 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Haven't heard of this brand! Do they have a full range of products ???
I prefer Earth Balance over others as well. I use the sticks for making icing, and there are several tub options.

Here's a link to their product offering. I find them very easy to find in my area, even at the run of the mill groceries.

Earth Balance Natural Spreads

Old 07-16-2009, 04:44 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,160 times
Thanks -- I'll make sure to look for these!

Old 07-16-2009, 05:52 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
i like earth balance a lot, but it doesn't work too well in baking for some reason. it's good for frostings, but not for actually being used in shortbread or whatever. i use fleischmann's unsalted margarine instead, although it's not as healthy.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:09 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I used Veganaise for the first time last night to make a "mock tuna salad" with chick peas. I was so impressed!! Here is the recipe:
Tonight's Dinner; Don't Call it a Mock Tuna Salad ...
I just made this for the first time yesterday and I nominate it for the best new recipe of the year in the quick, easy and good category Thanks cr1039 for your original post. I let it stay overnight in the fridge for the flavors to blend. I made two large hoagie sandwiches with lettuce and tomato slices. That used half of the mixture. I am going to be buying a lot more canned chick peas from now on

Old 07-24-2009, 11:41 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I just made this for the first time yesterday and I nominate it for the best new recipe of the year in the quick, easy and good category Thanks cr1039 for your original post. I let it stay overnight in the fridge for the flavors to blend. I made two large hoagie sandwiches with lettuce and tomato slices. That used half of the mixture. I am going to be buying a lot more canned chick peas from now on
I've made this several times since reading the recipe on this forum. After the first time, I've added fresh chopped garlic and diced tomato and it is great! I was surprised how good it is. A wonderful summer meal.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:55 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,111 times
^^ I am SO pleased to know that other people are enjoying it!!!

And the chopped garlic sounds awesome as an addition!

Old 07-27-2009, 03:08 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,023 times
Quote:
^^ I am SO pleased to know that other people are enjoying it!!!

And the chopped garlic sounds awesome as an addition!
Thanks for sharing it! It's now on my list of favorites.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:19 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,332 times
Quote:
^^ I am SO pleased to know that other people are enjoying it ...
This deserves its own thread I made a dish for lunch today that I have missed for a long time and it was wonderful with the new recipe.

Take a ripe red tomato and cut out the stem part
Slice down from the top to cut into six sections but don't cut all the way through
Place the tomato on a bed of green lettuce and spread the slices open
Add a generous spoonful of the mock tuna salad in the middle of the tomato.
Serve and enjoy (I should have taken a picture - nice presentation)

I used to enjoy this at work and they served it with a couple of packs of saltines - which are useful to push things around. I enjoyed my serving today with lemonade. Lunch was delicious What shall we call this chik pea / garbanzo salad?

Last edited by quiet walker; 07-27-2009 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: clarify

Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
i recently discovered field roast vegan sausages. these things are amazing, and come in more interesting flavors than the standard kielbasa/beer brat/whatever that tofurky makes.

they're also just the right consistency so you can either slice or crumble them.

my favorite kind is smoked apple sage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food