Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:59 PM

89 posts, read 201,890 times

Advertisements

What type of tofu did you get? If it is silken, try putting it in a smoothie with frozen fruit and a little sweetener.

If it is firmer, my favorite thing is scrambled tofu. I would post my mom's recipe but she taught me how to do it by taste which is really annoying because there always seems to be a lot of variability in the final result. ;]

My step-dad's recipe is a little easier though not as amazing...

1. Drain the tofu.
2. dice or crumble.
3. Saute some diced onions with a little oil.
4. add tofu
5. add 2 tablespoons brewer's yeast to the pan
6. add 2 tablespoons soy sauce to the pan
7. cook until most of the fluid has evaporated

I hope I remembered it correctly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 04:01 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,749 times
It's firm tofu.

I guess I could just treat it like cubed chicken, couldn't I? Tofu lasagna, tofu casserole, tofu and pasta...

Old 08-17-2009, 12:06 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,372,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
It's firm tofu.

I guess I could just treat it like cubed chicken, couldn't I? Tofu lasagna, tofu casserole, tofu and pasta...
Sort of, though your result will depend on what kind of sauce is in the dish, and it will be easier using firm. I definitely don't see anything that wouldn't work with putting it in a spaghetti sauce used for lasagna. It would probably be best to crumble it with a fork, or just by heavy stirring, rather than cube it, and then mix it in the sauce.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,523 times
Tofu is a great, healthy alternative. If you manage to get your hands on it, use it wisely. The answer is simple. Start with the essentials. A warm non-stick skillet, preferably All-clad. Toss in some leafy greens ie. Cilantro, spinach and whatever else you desire. Then add olive oil and a pinch of saffron. Dice in some sweet corn and tomatoes and serve it up on a hot summer's day. Cheers!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,749 times
No offense, Pampered, but that sounds gross.

I can cook it with meat, can't I? Will the vegetarian gods destroy my house if I do? I didn't buy it because I don't want to eat meat. I was just curious.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:27 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times
Quote:
No offense, Pampered, but that sounds gross.

I can cook it with meat, can't I? Will the vegetarian gods destroy my house if I do? I didn't buy it because I don't want to eat meat. I was just curious.

Well, you CAN, but why? Tofu isn't generally eaten as a complement to meat, it's used as a high-quality protein source in place of meat.

You should try one of the ideas suggested here. You might find that tofu actually isn't "gross."

Old 08-23-2009, 04:29 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,372,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Well, you CAN, but why? Tofu isn't generally eaten as a complement to meat, it's used as a high-quality protein source in place of meat.
Actually this isn't so much the case, even though tofu originally was just a separate dish. Most people eat tofu with meat, see all the Korean "Tofu House" restaurants out there in the US (despite low Korean population). Generally ground beef with tofu is pretty common.

Quote:
I would say 95% of people that eat tofu are not vegetarian.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:35 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times
I usually put my tofu in the freezer for a few hours (not really long, it freezes pretty fast), then let it thaw and drain it before cooking it, then it has a chicken texture.

this is my favorite tofu recipe:
Orange Chicken Style Tofu

Old 08-23-2009, 07:53 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Actually this isn't so much the case, even though tofu originally was just a separate dish. Most people eat tofu with meat, see all the Korean "Tofu House" restaurants out there in the US (despite low Korean population). Generally ground beef with tofu is pretty common.
I guess it's possible, but I've never heard of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
I would say 95% of people that eat tofu are not vegetarian.
I'd be surprised if that were true but, again, I guess it's possible.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
stir fry with yams onions and nuts n raisins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food