Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:24 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
Well for one, most vegetarians don't just eat vegetables.... but I am one of those who believes vegetarianism is NOT a healthy way to live for most people. Most of humanity evolved as omnivores... we have always been opportunistic eaters,, consuming whatever it takes to survive. What the vegetarian propaganda doesn't tell you is that you can become very sick if you try this type of diet. Even if you do EVERYTHING 'right'. It can cause deficiencies that may not show up for years, and that can have lasting consequences. I have rarely seen a healthy looking/acting vegetarian... (That being said, most Americans should take it easy with the meat.....!)
Vegetarian propaganda, strong language, opalminor, what exactly makes you believe in its existence?

Are you able to document that people could become very sick by trying a vegetarian diet?

You have rarely seen a healthy looking/acting (sic ) vegetarian, you say.
Check out this list of world personalities, including famous athlets, on wikipedia:

List of vegetarians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(That being said, most Americans should take it easy with the meat.....!)
I am glad to read that, opalminor; does that make me a vegetarian propagandist?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-27-2010 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Just fixed the quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 05:52 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
Quote:
I have rarely seen a healthy looking/acting vegetarian...

Most of the ones I know are pretty darn healthy. Here's one that was in the news recently, albeit due to a tragic accident. Strongman Joe Rollino would have been 105, except he was struck and killed by a minivan while out on a morning walk as he did most days.

Quote:
A life-long vegetarian who ate oatmeal every morning and swam laps in the ocean year-round, Rollino would have turned 105 on March 19.[LEFT]
Read more: Joe Rollino, Famed Coney Island strongman, 104 (aka 'Kid Dundee') killed after minivan hit
[/LEFT]
another picture of a young Joe..

The Discerning Brute » Blog Archive » Joe Rollino: Vegetarian Strong Man, Dead at Only 104

Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
the american dietetic association (the world's largest association of dietitians) says that veganism and vegetarianism are perfectly healthy diets at all stages of life. i'll take that over the assertions of random internet posters and anecdotal evidence any day.

Vegetarian Diets

although i'll offer my own anecdotal evidence as well - in my office, i am the only vegan, and the only person who doesn't eat meat of any kind (one coworker is a pescatarian, the rest eat anything). i've been vegetarian for almost 20 years, since i was 12, and vegan for about 10. whenever there's a bug going around the office, i'm the only one who doesn't get it.

as for the OP, do what you can. maybe you could try going vegetarian one meal a day, or one day a week for a while and see how it goes. get some cookbooks, read some cooking blogs and some of the food suggestion threads on this board, and you might find some more interesting/satisfying things to eat.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:31 AM

628 posts, read 2,070,431 times
Quote:
Well for one, most vegetarians don't just eat vegetables.... but I am one of those who believes vegetarianism is NOT a healthy way to live for most people. Most of humanity evolved as omnivores... we have always been opportunistic eaters,, consuming whatever it takes to survive. What the vegetarian propaganda doesn't tell you is that you can become very sick if you try this type of diet. Even if you do EVERYTHING 'right'. It can cause deficiencies that may not show up for years, and that can have lasting consequences. I have rarely seen a healthy looking/acting vegetarian... (That being said, most Americans should take it easy with the meat.....!)
Where are you facts to support these statements opalminor?

According to the American Dietetic Association

Quote:
It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.
Read more

Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 AM

14 posts, read 37,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
You are welcome, Renee!

I did the very same thing exactly at your age.
And then, later, I decided to try it one more time.
That was almost 10 years ago and I am still going...

This might not be the end of vegetarianism for you either, who knows?
God bless.

Good advice, LearningCA! I've been down the same road as well....John

Old 01-27-2010, 11:00 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
I'm cutting out and have been eliminating meat for a while. I'm hugely active and are
there any "vegetarian atheletes" I think that would help understand alot re diet
suggestions and nutrition .
What sports do you do? I've been vegetarian for 20+ years now, and a competitive runner and cyclist for most of my adult life.

Here's one (of many) list of vegetarian athletes:

International Vegetarian Union - Famous Vegetarians - Sports Personalities

And a book you may find useful:

BrendanBrazier.com :: Triathlete, Author and Speaker :: Book :: Thrive (http://www.brendanbrazier.com/book/thrivehome.html - broken link)

Old 01-29-2010, 07:37 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
I wholeheartedly disagree with your post.
I’d appreciate some credible links to these assertions you’re making, or are they simply your opinion?
Vegetarians are not sickly; most of them are more healthy than omnivores. Approaching life without meat is simple, beneficial and healthy.
I’ve been doing it for 15 years with no health problems.
You’re probably not aware of everyone around you who is a vegetarian.
Vegetarianism seems to work for millions of Indians and others in East/Southeast Asia; not to mention the rest of the world.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,899 times
As I said.... I am one of those who believes vegetarianism is NOT a healthy way to live for most people.. (I repeat~ MOST people). Therefore, obviously,, that's my opinion.. based on many years of personal experience, observation of many other people, years of reading about nutrition, human evolution, etc.If people have eaten meat for thousands of years, since the dawn of humankind,, and many of those people have thrived and lived a healthy life to a ripe old age,, then how can that be wrong.........? This is what our bodies evolved on.... a mixed diet.

And of course people are going to disagree, and of course there's tons of people who may feel better being a vegetarian and may live a long & healthy life. People feel extremely passionate about vegetarianism, just as I did when I was one (before I got deathly sick and had to be rushed to the doctor to get treated for severe anemia). But still, that is what I believe, in general, to be true... I don't personally think it's the optimum way for most humans to live. And yes, pretty much all vegetarians I've known have been sickly, bony, spaced-out, fatigued, veins sticking out, etc... not healthy at all. Yet still they are totally in denial and convinced they've never felt/looked better. Sure there are healthy ones out there (and of course there's different body types), but who knows what long-term effects this may have.......? It's definitely not something to fool around with.
And don't get me started on the fasting fanatics & raw diet kooks I've met....!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,466 times
Quote:
As I said.... I am one of those who believes vegetarianism is NOT a healthy way to live for most people.. (I repeat~ MOST people). Therefore, obviously,, that's my opinion.. based on many years of personal experience, observation of many other people, years of reading about nutrition, human evolution, etc.If people have eaten meat for thousands of years, since the dawn of humankind,, and many of those people have thrived and lived a healthy life to a ripe old age,, then how can that be wrong.........? This is what our bodies evolved on.... a mixed diet.

And of course people are going to disagree, and of course there's tons of people who may feel better being a vegetarian and may live a long & healthy life. People feel extremely passionate about vegetarianism, just as I did when I was one (before I got deathly sick and had to be rushed to the doctor to get treated for severe anemia). But still, that is what I believe, in general, to be true... I don't personally think it's the optimum way for most humans to live. And yes, pretty much all vegetarians I've known have been sickly, bony, spaced-out, fatigued, veins sticking out, etc... not healthy at all. Yet still they are totally in denial and convinced they've never felt/looked better. Sure there are healthy ones out there (and of course there's different body types), but who knows what long-term effects this may have.......? It's definitely not something to fool around with.
And don't get me started on the fasting fanatics & raw diet kooks I've met....!
Opalminor, I am sorry about your past episode of severe anemia.
In US there is an abundence of vegan and vegetarian foods that make such occurances rather unique.

Cultures and diets have evolved along the ages.
The hunters/gatherers societies based their diets on meat and animal products by necessity as it took thousands of years for people to develop agricultures and enrich their diets.

Cannibalism was a stage in human evolution as well, I am certain that you do not condone it for modern age people.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:29 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,899 times
learningCA, the propoganda I was referring to was all the stuff out there about how veg is the best diet, how humans evolved as plant eaters (and all the evidence that we evolved as omnivores is a 'lie')... that it's the best way to live, it purifies your blood, your colon; meat causes cancer, that'll it'll make you feel great, you'll be healthier than ever, have more energy, your soul will become pure... blah blah blah. I became one, did everything you're supposed to, and the opposite of all that happened... I just got sicker and weaker. When the day came that I decided to give it up, several years later, and started eating meat again, it just felt so right.... on a cellular level. Like my body was saying "YES!! finally!!!!!!" And my strength, energy, stamina & clarity gradually returned. I have read much more about the nutrients in meat and it makes sense now.
Then again, maybe times have changed and information about veg diets have gotten more down-to-earth and more scientific/nutrition based. Recently I have seen more warnings about how important it is for vegetarians to avoid anemia (keep an eye on iron, folic acid & B-12 levels)...... years ago, I don't remember seeing any (or much) info about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food