Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:13 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
>> What does it matter?

It's really not a matter of judging others (at least for me); the issue, for me, is wanting to decease the amount of cruelty in the world. So from that perspective, yeah; it matters a LOT.

While I am unable to eat totally by this principle I really respect people that have made this commitment to do so. I am very surprised by the amount of people this bothers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
While I am unable to eat totally by this principle I really respect people that have made this commitment to do so. I am very surprised by the amount of people this bothers
Well, you don't have to be perfect to do this. Even doing it a little bit helps the planet, your health, your finances, and cuts down cruelty towards animals.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:59 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Yes, rather odd & those it 'bothers' often become quite defensive ~ HAHA....every time I see you profile pic, it makes me smile!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:12 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
So what do you call someone who does eat dairy - I mean it may be an "animal product" but it doesn't HARM the animal to eat it.
It does harm animals to eat dairy. Calves and kids are separated from their mothers so mom can be milked, which is distressing, disease-promoting and life-shortening to them both. And calves are then incarcerated in veal-fattening booths which are too small to move in -- keeps the meat tender and pale. Veal production is definitely harmful to the calves. The veal and dairy industries support each other, house-of-cards fashion.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:02 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Really it is the "all or nothing" judgmental attitude that harms the vegetarian movement more than any silly commercial where eight year olds shout "go meat!"
In fact the infighting of vegan vs. vegetarian vs, lacto-ovo vegetarian that splits us all apart and gives others a headache - or worse a big mak attack.
What ever we can each do to reduce the use of products and foods that harm animals is a step in the right direction.
Stop splitting hairs!

Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,874 times
So, cheese isn't vegetarian if it is artisanal and likely is if it is one of the more commonly produced?

Good to know. Thanks

Old 06-01-2010, 05:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
I'm curious, people on this list do know that cheese, unless it's a vegetarian specialty item, has rennet in it, which is a substance from the stomachs of baby cows? Cheese is not vegetarian!!
There is non-animal rennet. I have some in my refrigerator.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-20-2010, 10:03 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,358 times
I am a lacto-vegetarian for religious reasons. I believe in karma and reincarnation. I don't believe we should kill creatures for our food. No matter what you do to milk, it can never become a baby cow. It is therefore not in the same category as animal flesh or even eggs which, although not always fertilized, are designed to become a chicken. Milk is food--though arguably not human food. There is a good list of animal-rennet free cheese here: Welcome to the Vegetarian Cheese List Home Page.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
you do realize that most dairy cows live in factory farms, right? that means they spend their lives crammed together and hooked up to milking machines.

You do realize that you are totally wrong. You have never been on a real dairy farm have you? If you have you would know that cows DO NOT spend their lives hooked up to milking machines.

Cows are milked once in the morning and once in the afternoon. They spend the rest of the time grazing in nice green pastures.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-20-2010 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comment

Old 06-21-2010, 05:31 AM

784 posts, read 3,121,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
You do realize that you are totally wrong. You have never been on a real dairy farm have you? If you have you would know that cows DO NOT spend their lives hooked up to milking machines.

Cows are milked once in the morning and once in the afternoon. They spend the rest of the time grazing in nice green pastures.
No doubt there are farms as you have described. But there are also factory farms where dairy cows are mistreated. Factory farming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google dairy farm conditions and you will come up with many many links to videos like the one on this site Anger into Action: The World Responds to MFA's Dairy Farm Investigation - MFA Blog. But almost all the links I saw were to one farm in Ohio. Even PETA says not all dairy farms are like this. And check this out too: Organic Valley - Animal Care

Rather that giving up dairy because of what we read on the Internet, why not find out where "our" milk comes from. Then if, as bustaduke says, the cows are on pasture when they are not being milked, we can stop feeling guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food