Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Perhaps the Upper Valley is less expensive, but fwiw, I find Vermont, or at least those towns I've spent some time in (Bolton, Richmond, Brattleboro, Guilford, Woodstock, Bennington) as expensive as New York City.
So it wasn't just my imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 06:31 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Arel,
We're moving next week to Vermont from NY. People have said we are insane (no jobs yet but prospects). I simply have been trying to move 3 years, and doing it the standard way (sending resumes all over the country hoping to score interviews) has not worked for my husband or myself.

Am I doing the right thing? Well, maybe yes, maybe no. My son was not thriving in his elementary school here (too many kids/whatever attitude), we were unhappy renting from my parents (too many issues to go into), and we hope this place may be one we like and can settle in.

Sometimes you can analyze your life to death. Sometimes you have to say what the hell and try something else.

I'll give you the honest 411 when I settle in. We'll be chasing jobs but I totally intend to be successful to the best of my ability. (maybe just to spite the naysayers).

I'll miss NY(possibly) but it's time to move on.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:52 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times
Congratulations on your decisive step forward.

What town are you moving to?

Please let me, and all the rest of us on the forum, know what happens.

And, as many have counseled, rent first!!!!!! If things don't work out you don't want to be stuck with a house to sell.

You are fortunate in that you also have a place to return to if need be.

I hope need doesn't be.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:23 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
Try to get a job first. Even if it's for minimum wage or a little better. Don't move without any source of income. My stepson is looking to get some sort of income to pay some of his expenses and he can't find a thing right now(past 4 weeks). You don't want to get into a situation without any form of income and then deal with any repercussions. Even if it's some sort of temporary work until you can find something permanent. Please take this advice. It won't delay you move that much.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:22 AM

We DON'T want to move without jobs but it's hard to hook things up when you aren't in the area. We're moving near the Upper Valley, NH (on the border). I also have to get my son enrolled in school and can't wait months and months. It's also VERY expensive to keep going up there for interviews/scouting trips/and so on.

There are jobs there. I have been assured over and over, check statistics and already have a chance at a part-time job. Moving is so overwhelming I have had to stop spending hours online.

I also have a teaching degree and Masters, so I can sub if I have to to earn money for us until my husband hooks something up.

I appreciate the concern here.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:33 AM

19 posts, read 65,643 times
Wish you the best of luck.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:12 AM

89 posts, read 317,379 times
What type of work does your husband do?? Just curious we have some labor jobs opening up in the spring that will become apprenticeships to those with the desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Arel,
We're moving next week to Vermont from NY. People have said we are insane (no jobs yet but prospects). I simply have been trying to move 3 years, and doing it the standard way (sending resumes all over the country hoping to score interviews) has not worked for my husband or myself.

Am I doing the right thing? Well, maybe yes, maybe no. My son was not thriving in his elementary school here (too many kids/whatever attitude), we were unhappy renting from my parents (too many issues to go into), and we hope this place may be one we like and can settle in.

Sometimes you can analyze your life to death. Sometimes you have to say what the hell and try something else.

I'll give you the honest 411 when I settle in. We'll be chasing jobs but I totally intend to be successful to the best of my ability. (maybe just to spite the naysayers).

I'll miss NY(possibly) but it's time to move on.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab8mi View Post
What type of work does your husband do?? Just curious we have some labor jobs opening up in the spring that will become apprenticeships to those with the desire.
He's done shipping and receiving/warehouse management, has cabinetmaking skills but it's been years since he's worked in that field.

Where is your company?

Old 09-06-2007, 07:25 AM

4 posts, read 18,195 times
I moved to VT in 1998 (Dorset) from Poughkeepsie NY area. Stayed for 2 yrs., left due to divorce. I really wanted to stay in VT but was afraid of winters being by myself. I loved living there, people very friendly, nice, respectful. I also lived in Manchester for a time, again, wonderful experience. Wish I could afford to go back there. Real estate has gone out of sight, too bad. It's a great place to live and raise children. But look around, I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:21 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,732 times
I relocated to the Burlington area for my husband's job back in 1998 - we only lived in VT for 4 years, but we fell in love with the area.

We have since moved around a bit, and always say that VT is one place we really miss.

The people were super nice, the area is gorgeous, and living is good - if you have a job of course, employment is tough if you don't work for the university, the hospital or IBM.

We lives in South Burlington when we first moved up there and then bought a house in Milton - a little further north, but we were young and prices were cheaper (no more, I hear!).

I had two of my kids up there and now that theya re getting a little bit bigger, I really want to get them back up there to spend some time - it's a great place!

By the way, I am a New Yorker and my husband in from NJ, so we were major "flat-landers" and we were welcomed with open arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont