Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:39 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmstrd View Post
but which city in these 2 states would you look at to live in if you were 52 and single?....kids in college in Boston....would love to meet a woman in same situation, am exploring next month and not sure what city(s) would work for me....going out and meeting new people would be important...any advice appreciated....thanks

Montpelier. If I were over 40 (I am) and starting over (I'm not), that's where I'd pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 11:14 AM

395 posts, read 458,557 times
Vermont is kind of like the San Fransisco of the East Coast. A place full of kooky liberals who look down on everyone else.

Vermont is anti business and they're proud of the fact that there are no jobs or industry there because hey "we have covered bridges and love mother earth."

Unless you a hippie 60's relic still holding a grudge against Nixon or some other type of pothead on welfare you probably won't like Vermont.

Your kids go to college in Boston?

My advice to you is to find a nice little town in southeatern NH to settle down in and forget about Vermont.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:31 PM

Well, that's quite a sweeping generalization of an entire state. I guess you've had some experiences here you didn't like. However, your assessment doesn't match my experience of living in Vermont at all.

I've never experienced people here as the kind who "look down on everyone else." My Vermont friends, neighbors, and colleagues are not grudge-holding '60s relics or potheads on welfare. They're just decent people who care about the communities where they live. Does Vermont have problems and a dire need for more jobs and industry? Yep. But it's simply untrue to say there are "no jobs or industry."

I hope you are able live somewhere that suits you better. Your posts on the NH forum indicate you don't think much of NH towns either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
Vermont is kind of like the San Fransisco of the East Coast. A place full of kooky liberals who look down on everyone else.

Vermont is anti business and they're proud of the fact that there are no jobs or industry there because hey "we have covered bridges and love mother earth."

Unless you a hippie 60's relic still holding a grudge against Nixon or some other type of pothead on welfare you probably won't like Vermont.

Your kids go to college in Boston?

My advice to you is to find a nice little town in southeatern NH to settle down in and forget about Vermont.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:01 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
NH is much more retiree friendly compared to VT. The Lakes Region of NH beats any part of VT for more reasonable property taxes.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:14 PM

395 posts, read 458,557 times
I'm glad you liek Vermont Sheryl. Someone's got to.

Me? if I never go there again it will be too soon.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:38 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Well, that's quite a sweeping generalization of an entire state. I guess you've had some experiences here you didn't like. However, your assessment doesn't match my experience of living in Vermont at all.

I've never experienced people here as the kind who "look down on everyone else." My Vermont friends, neighbors, and colleagues are not grudge-holding '60s relics or potheads on welfare. They're just decent people who care about the communities where they live. Does Vermont have problems and a dire need for more jobs and industry? Yep. But it's simply untrue to say there are "no jobs or industry."

I hope you are able live somewhere that suits you better. Your posts on the NH forum indicate you don't think much of NH towns either.
I grew up in Burlington and thats the impression I get.
If you need to work to live, then you need to leave the state.

VT is a country club, and most people can't pay the membership fees.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:20 PM

You grew up in Burlington but you're trying to paint the whole state with a broad brush. Everyone I know must work to live. (There probably are trust funders around but I don't much encounter them.) Some of us are doing fine, some are struggling. Hmm, reminds me of . . . everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
I grew up in Burlington and thats the impression I get.
If you need to work to live, then you need to leave the state.

VT is a country club, and most people can't pay the membership fees.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
You grew up in Burlington but you're trying to paint the whole state with a broad brush. Everyone I know must work to live. (There probably are trust funders around but I don't much encounter them.) Some of us are doing fine, some are struggling. Hmm, reminds me of . . . everywhere.
I've lived in other states. In other states, the general rule is that you don't want to spend more than 30% of your income on housing, try doing that in VT.

And its the condescending attitude that the OP was talking about, "Hmm, reminds me of . . . everywhere." The, "I know better than you" attitude that is so prevalent here.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:35 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Sheryl - a piece of friendly advise. Don't waste your time replying to the Vermont haters in here. Their posts contain no facts or links to any facts cause their posts are just a bunch of BS. Most Vermonters love lving in Vermont and wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Sheryl - a piece of friendly advise. Don't waste your time replying to the Vermont haters in here. Their posts contain no facts or links to any facts cause their posts are just a bunch of BS. Most Vermonters love lving in Vermont and wouldn't live anywhere else.
Well, we posted the "Rock and a Hard Place" study and the response is "Um... you idiot, times are tough everywhere."

Most of the people living in VT are not Vermonters, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont