Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 06:55 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

At least no one's wife has been killed by politics yet this go around. Andrew Jackson's wife was...politics has always been a dirty business...

Shumlin couldn't get a vote from me for any position, let alone governor. Seeing him out of office will be a nice day, justice for how much damage he has done to the state with taxes, passing homosexual marriage while the state economy collapsed, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 03:11 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,970 times
If anyone wants the opportunity to meet with Candidate Shumlin, I understand he is going to be in Springfield tomorrow afternoon - not sure where although I trust he will be in and/or around their headquarters on Valley Street.....

Old 10-30-2010, 04:04 PM

That would be quite the event if I showed up.

But I'd rather spend my time on my trapline.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:47 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
I guess our votes will cancel each other, arctichomesteader. I can imagine worse things - but not quite as extreme as Mrs. Jackson. Everything I've heard or read in the news continues to predict a very close election. But then, I remember in 2002 the pollsters didn't have it right on the eve of Jim Douglas' triumph over Doug Racine.

And today was a really nice time to be in the woods. It was spitting snow and I didn't see another person all day.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
I guess our votes will cancel each other, arctichomesteader. I can imagine worse things - but not quite as extreme as Mrs. Jackson. Everything I've heard or read in the news continues to predict a very close election. But then, I remember in 2002 the pollsters didn't have it right on the eve of Jim Douglas' triumph over Doug Racine.

And today was a really nice time to be in the woods. It was spitting snow and I didn't see another person all day.
Guess so.

I suspect it will be close. I would hope the legislature doesn't get it and give it to shumlin even if Dubie gets the plurality of the vote.

Unfortunately, it was raining off and on here, I'd prefer the snow you got up there, rain makes everything more difficult, but it beat being in town still...

Old 10-30-2010, 05:37 PM

I think this editorial got it right on "shifty shumlin":

Beware Of Shifty Pete

Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
I just want to jump in with my mod hat and thank all of you for keeping this discussion civil. As we know political discussions can become highly emotional and I'm happy to see that we are all capable of carrying on a respectful debate.
Lets keep it up and don't forget to get out and vote on Tuesday!

Old 10-31-2010, 09:07 AM

Thanks Vter - yes, I too am pleased that regardless of the political climate, the stressors involved w/this election [i.e., employment worries, home fears, heating concerns, education, etc.] we have, for the most part, all maintained a "lively" conversation about the race. Perhaps it would be helpful [smile] to have our legislators perhaps all sign up to this form, really get a better sense of how their communities feel, listen [perhaps a moderately novel concept]. Regardless of which side of the fence one sits on, I think the same process should apply: all legislators should meet with the folks in the trenches and open the conversation(s) with .. "what do you think"; "do you have any thoughts about..."...

To me, it is similar in asking a superintendent of schools about how classrooms should be, how teachers should be doing....--if a superintendent has not been in a classroom for 20 [arbitrary number ]years, how can they possibly have an understanding of what's happening now in a classroom - betcha half of them do not know who Sponge Bob or Hannah Montana is -- same with nursing, why ask the vice president of nursing how to have nurses give even better care when, for example, a vice president of nursing has not taken a temp or used an emesis bowl in 15 years....

I think it is important to have our candidates, our legislators take time to listen to those of us who are getting laid off, or behind in a mortgage--I think we could all come up with rational ideas.

And yes, do not forget to vote on Tuesday. It is,without question, going to be a very very close race and for those who say, well I am only one vote, what's the difference, how will you feel if your candidate misses by one vote.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:48 PM

Just came back from Springfield where Shumlin did speak - Senator Alice Nitka [she is super] and Senator John Campbell were also there. It was a good turn out - everyone is working really hard....it is always a pleasure speaking with both of these seasoned senators...they are both very much in tune w/the 'working' person, they both listen to their neighbors' concerns - and I just say, Shumlin was good.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:49 PM

sorry, meant to say "and I must must say, Shumlin was good."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont