Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:56 PM

444 posts, read 788,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Just to play devil's advocate (with myself also, not just you) I would question the "rationality" of someone who could move anywhere yet wants to move to a cold region when he could equally choose a Mediterranean climate, or at least many other climates less severe than Vermont's. Many places in northern California, like Santa Rosa or Sebastopol, would be attractive to me if I could afford them. Boulder, Colorado was recently named as the city with the highest "brain power", and enjoys a sunny, mild climate for most of the year (again, too expensive for me). Trying to find a whole state that's a good fit might make less sense than simply finding a town that has the kind of rational reputation you seek.
Well, one thing that you may or may not gather from my previous posts is that I have some hermit-like tendencies. Although I love the cultural offerings of somewhere like Manhattan, I'd rather live in an under-populated area. For this reason I'm tending to avoid vaunted retirement sites such as Asheville, NC. The same goes for Boulder, which sounds as if it's overflowing with rich yuppies who are engaging in their own brand of conspicuous consumption. I like places that are more minimalist, toned-down and unpretentious. I'm not really worried about becoming surrounded by too many people like myself because there aren't many. You, on the other hand, may be more extroverted and would feel more comfortable in those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 03:15 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Burlington is far from sparsely populated, and in the rest of the state with few exceptions, those political beliefs may not be so popular (thinking "highly educated and non-religious", as you'll find many highly educated and also religious people in rural Vermont, but it may take a while to figure out who's religious and who isn't, and being anti-capitalist is growing old with many rural VT'ers who simply want some jobs and less taxes). What are your attitudes towards guns, hunting, etc.? Someone who's against both of those will find themselves uncomfortable in much of the state.

As for areas that are sparsely populated, you'd need to go to a town like Glastenbury, Ferdinand, or for something very close to wilderness, Lewis (population 0 since 1910). There's many small towns in between those extremes not far from the few cities we have.

I'd suggest the Northeast Kingdom as the most sparsely populated and scenic part of the state but you'd probably find yourself surrounded by angry natives with your views...
You may be an exception, but VT is the most non-religious state in the country. It is also one of the most liberal.

If you are looking for a non-religious, sparsely populated, liberal place to retire, then look no further.

My only other though is that if you are receiving a pension, you might want to check out NH because taxes are a lot lower.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
...if you are receiving a pension, you might want to check out NH because taxes are a lot lower.
Our pensions will probably provide only a small percentage of our income. Most income will be from bond interest, capital gains and Social Security. I'll have to do the math, but don't think Vermont taxes will be a problem. My biggest problem will be to convince my girlfriend to move from one cold and cloudy region to a colder and cloudier region. She needs sunlight.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:38 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Our pensions will probably provide only a small percentage of our income. Most income will be from bond interest, capital gains and Social Security. I'll have to do the math, but don't think Vermont taxes will be a problem. My biggest problem will be to convince my girlfriend to move from one cold and cloudy region to a colder and cloudier region. She needs sunlight.
Cloudy days in VT are more uplifting than cloudy days in Chicago.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Cloudy days in VT are more uplifting than cloudy days in Chicago.
How so? Less dense and gloomy?

Old 12-05-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
How so? Less dense and gloomy?
Never been to Chicago, but it's flat. The scenery doesn't go away in VT just because there's cloud cover. It may still be gloomy, but when the sun pokes through, it's awe-inspiring over the mountains.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Never been to Chicago, but it's flat. The scenery doesn't go away in VT just because there's cloud cover. It may still be gloomy, but when the sun pokes through, it's awe-inspiring over the mountains.
That would work for me, but I'm not sure about someone who seems to have SAD symptoms.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:55 PM

Someone that has SAD will likely not do well there. I would really recommend you look into Western MA and Northwestern CT.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Someone that has SAD will likely not do well there. I would really recommend you look into Western MA and Northwestern CT.
The Northampton, MA area is still high on our list. There doesn't seem to be anything comparable in northwestern Connecticut (e.g. college towns).

Old 12-05-2010, 05:22 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Even when the sun is out here it still feels a little dark-due to the angle of the sun in the winter.
I have a friend with SAD and she has a hard time during the winter here. She uses a light box which helps. I have what I consider mild SAD. It gets depressing when you don't see the sun for a week at a time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont