Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:05 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times

Advertisements

Vermont is part of the United States. As such, a certain degree of racism is inevitable.

On the other hand, those who are claiming that racism is rampant, that racial minorities and biracial or multiracial children are constantly harassed, or that minorities who come to visit will encounter widespread hostility are grossly misstating the facts.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:19 AM

63 posts, read 137,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Vermont is part of the United States. As such, a certain degree of racism is inevitable.

On the other hand, those who are claiming that racism is rampant, that racial minorities and biracial or multiracial children are constantly harassed, or that minorities who come to visit will encounter widespread hostility are grossly misstating the facts.

Where exactly are you living? This is NOT a gross misstating of any fact. I am originally from Vermont, born, breed and raised. I have traveled throughout the country and the world. I can speak from high experience when I stated that Vermonters pride themselves on open-mindedness with no experience to back it up. Nowhere, did I state that my biracial children were harassed. What I did say was it is a concern in one of my factors of whether or not I choose to return to my home state. However; I will give you the FACTS from what I have experienced. When I was young, I clearly remember my grandparents referring to people of any color as N-word, sp*c and w*tback etc. I was taken to a boxing match at the age of 4 and told that the fighters were "chocolate boys". Disgusting ignorance! Fortunately they have been set straight now that I am an adult AND have 4 bi racial children. The fact is...most people in the area spout off under pure ignorance. They grew up hearing such comments and think it is okay or the norm, whether or not they truly believe what they are saying. When in high school there was a boy of Hispanic decent that moved to town. He was badly beaten to the point where he almost lost his eye. So again, tell me I am grossly exaggerating. I have found the racism prevalent is geared mostly toward blacks and Hispanics. Very seldom do you hear of concerns from Asian and Eastern decent. Although, another example: my brothers in laws were adamant that the neighborhood the he and his wife moved into was godforsaken because many of the neighbors are of middle eastern background. You can reread my other examples in the post before.

Yes, racism and ignorance is everywhere. Big cities to small villages. And yes, if visiting one will most likely not notice or be faced with these issues. But do not say it is not in Vermont. It is! It will continue to be until the state becomes more diversified and people pull their heads out of where the sun doesn't shine.

BTW, I can continue with the examples, but it would probably make no difference to those blind to the issue.

Last edited by mafriz; 08-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: words not allowed to be published

Old 08-13-2011, 02:39 PM

348 posts, read 850,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I wanted to take a road trip with my girlfriend to Vermont, but after reading this thread, nevermind lol. I thought Vermont was supposed to to be the super liberal, friendly area.
I think VT IS friendly. I grew up in VT and didn't witness this rampant racism some are referring to. I don't recall hearing or seeing any racist occurances.

I wouldn't change your plans based on what a few people on this forum are saying.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:53 PM

The state is beautiful. It is a wonderful place to live. It is a wonderful place to visit. And well, I am so happy to hear that many have not encountered discrimination and racism. I cannot imagine what it would be like to live such a carefree Utopian life. Or maybe you all just don't have friends or family that are anything but white, straight and living with their heads in the sand

Last edited by mafriz; 08-13-2011 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-13-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I wanted to take a road trip with my girlfriend to Vermont, but after reading this thread, nevermind lol. I thought Vermont was supposed to to be the super liberal, friendly area.

I didn't want to scare you or keep you away from the beauty of the state. I in no way would sway you from visiting and enjoying what the state has to offer. It is a wonderful blessing. I was, however, commenting from the OP's point of view and story of her daughter's friend. Racist, bigots and idiots will always exist everywhere. I just find it hard to believe that some are unwilling to except how prevalent it is.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafriz View Post
The state is beautiful. It is a wonderful place to live. It is a wonderful place to visit. And well, I am so happy to hear that many have not encountered discrimination and racism. I cannot imagine what it would be like to live such a carefree Utopian life. Or maybe you all just don't have friends or family that are anything but white, straight and living with their heads in the sand
Good Lord.

My life now, or growing up in Vermont, is/was neither carefree, nor utopic. Just because someone is "white" and "straight" doesn't mean that they are living with their head in the sand, as you contend.

My family wasn't racist, my friends weren't racist, and I didn't see or hear racist things. That's how it was. I was part of a working class, paycheck to paycheck family, and I certainly was not living in a glass house. Being a native Vermonter, and having family from VT for generations, I am qualified to recount my experience.

No diddly krap there's racism everywhere. I get that. But my experience in VT doesn't jibe with the "racism in VT is common and persvasive" mantra that some are trying to put forward.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:16 PM

93,390 posts, read 124,009,048 times
No mention of the "cakewalks" that used to occur at UVM in the past? What's interesting is that the first Black person to get a college degree in the US was born and raised in VT and graduated from Middlebury: alexander twilight

http://www.vermontcynic.com/news/kak...past-1.1614536

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...WvoWdXPE&gl=US

http://cdi.uvm.edu/collections/getCo...ke_Walk_at_UVM

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-13-2011 at 09:44 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post
Good Lord.

My life now, or growing up in Vermont, is/was neither carefree, nor utopic. Just because someone is "white" and "straight" doesn't mean that they are living with their head in the sand, as you contend.

My family wasn't racist, my friends weren't racist, and I didn't see or hear racist things. That's how it was. I was part of a working class, paycheck to paycheck family, and I certainly was not living in a glass house. Being a native Vermonter, and having family from VT for generations, I am qualified to recount my experience.

No diddly krap there's racism everywhere. I get that. But my experience in VT doesn't jibe with the "racism in VT is common and persvasive" mantra that some are trying to put forward.
Did you have friends, family, coworkers, even acquaintances of any other race? Did anyone of any other race live and grow up in your town/city? My point is; if the answer is no, there is no base to experience from.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafriz View Post
Did you have friends, family, coworkers, even acquaintances of any other race? Did anyone of any other race live and grow up in your town/city? My point is; if the answer is no, there is no base to experience from.

Your inferences in this thread are that anyone who is "white" is not qualified to speak on the subject of racism. It is virtually impossible to really have a dialogue with someone who constantly has one hand on the race card, ready to raise it at any moment.

Your question follows that "you're white so you don't get it, line," which is tiring. But for the record, I had friends of other races while growing up in VT. My high school recruited out of state/country students and therefore we had students who hailed from different parts of the world, who seemed to fit in just fine. They played sports, did drama, attended social gatherings, etc with the rest of us. I don't recall name calling or hard feelings. We were all just kids.

Just because an area is mostly white does not mean that its residents are largely ignorant, double digit IQ racists. By that logic, we would then need to look at areas that are predominantly black, hispanic, etc., and assume they are racist as well because they don't have family members or friends who might be --- white.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post
Your inferences in this thread are that anyone who is "white" is not qualified to speak on the subject of racism. It is virtually impossible to really have a dialog with someone who constantly has one hand on the race card, ready to raise it at any moment.

Your question follows that "you're white so you don't get it, line," which is tiring. But for the record, I had friends of other races while growing up in VT. My high school recruited out of state/country students and therefore we had students who hailed from different parts of the world, who seemed to fit in just fine. They played sports, did drama, attended social gatherings, etc with the rest of us. I don't recall name calling or hard feelings. We were all just kids.

Just because an area is mostly white does not mean that its residents are largely ignorant, double digit IQ racists. By that logic, we would then need to look at areas that are predominantly black, hispanic, etc., and assume they are racist as well because they don't have family members or friends who might be --- white.

First and foremost, If this is how I came across, it is not what was intended. The initial topic of discussion was bases on the original poster's surprise in racial slurs and issues within her town. She expressed her concern and awe that such instances would still be happening in a day and age and state that is known for progressive forwardness. Not one of my comments were a personal attack on any one person. However; the definition of ignorant is having lack of knowledge from experience. It is not a negative term, nor did I use it as such. My point and question to you was to understand your frame of reference concerning the subject. You are correct in stating that a place of predominately another race would most likely stem reverse implications. If you read back through the thread you will note that I addressed this as well from personal experience. Thanks for the discussion and the debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont