Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 04:46 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

It's a real problem. You're less likely to experience violent crime here than in many nearby states, but an older man was carjacked at gunpoint recently in Rutland, and there have been home invasion attempts in parts of the state. I don't worry too much about being a crime victim but I do tend to have a gun with me too just in case. I won't be a defenseless victim if someone does target me.

If someone raises kids here I would suggest they be vigilant to protect them from drugs. Getting in with the wrong person could be bad. I'd keep them out of the public schools in certain communities (Rutland, Springfield, Burlington, for instance).

Old 01-17-2014, 05:21 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's a real problem. You're less likely to experience violent crime here than in many nearby states, but an older man was carjacked at gunpoint recently in Rutland, and there have been home invasion attempts in parts of the state. I don't worry too much about being a crime victim but I do tend to have a gun with me too just in case. I won't be a defenseless victim if someone does target me.

If someone raises kids here I would suggest they be vigilant to protect them from drugs. Getting in with the wrong person could be bad. I'd keep them out of the public schools in certain communities (Rutland, Springfield, Burlington, for instance).
Having had kids in both private and public schools, I can tell you that drug use is no different in either one. Drug addiction just doesn't happen to "those" kids or people. It's everywhere. Rich, poor, old, young, it doesn't matter. We have friends in law enforcement and that work in the court system. We personally know families touched by drug addiction. Good families that did their best and it still wasn't good enough. It could happen to you, your family, your town. It's like cancer, it's always the other guy until it's you. My kids escaped intact but too many kids they knew didn't .
I'm glad Shumlin gets it and hope somehow can turn this around. At least he's trying.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Most home invasions are drug disputes between parties who did business together. The majority of victims are drug dealers. The invaders are either addicts stealing drugs or someone the drug dealer owes money. It's rare for an innocent person's home to be invaded.

Carjackings are different. The assailants and victims are often strangers. There are easy ways to protect yourself from a carjacking that doesn't involve weapons. Always be aware of your surroundings. At a stop sign or stop light, never pull all the way up to the car in front of you. Leave ample room to drive away. In a parking lot, don't access the side of your car that is parked next to a van. There are other tips at websites like this one.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Having had kids in both private and public schools, I can tell you that drug use is no different in either one. Drug addiction just doesn't happen to "those" kids or people. It's everywhere. Rich, poor, old, young, it doesn't matter. We have friends in law enforcement and that work in the court system. We personally know families touched by drug addiction. Good families that did their best and it still wasn't good enough. It could happen to you, your family, your town. It's like cancer, it's always the other guy until it's you. My kids escaped intact but too many kids they knew didn't.
I agree. This is all true.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
My experience has been the public schools in the larger communities are much worse than the private schools. It's partially because of size. I've worked in the schools, I'm no stranger to it. Homeschooling would always be my preference if possible, personally, if I had kids...

Old 01-18-2014, 04:30 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Sorry Hopes. A lot of the heroin is coming from out of state. Talk to any VT law enforcement officer. It is very cheap in the metro areas south of here and is being brought up here and resold for a huge profit. As I stated above, these out of state dealers are coming up here with the drugs and recruiting local people to work under them. Again, talk to any VT law enforcement officer (I have 2 in my family).

2 NY men arrested in big Burlington heroin bust - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Rutland heroin bust - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Heroin bust on Interstate 91 - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Mega drug bust on the Mega Bus - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-
Well yes it is being brought in from out of state. It doesn't grow here.

It is being brought in because the locals want it. If Vermonters didn't have any interest in buying it then the out-of-staters wouldn't have any customers. As it is, locals want it, buy it, and commit robbery to feed their habit. They get arrested and are set free almost immediately by judges who don't live in the affected areas so they can commit more drug-related crime.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee already. I'm no fan of Shumlin but at least he admits that we have a HUGE problem.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:19 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Well yes it is being brought in from out of state. It doesn't grow here.

It is being brought in because the locals want it. If Vermonters didn't have any interest in buying it then the out-of-staters wouldn't have any customers. As it is, locals want it, buy it, and commit robbery to feed their habit. They get arrested and are set free almost immediately by judges who don't live in the affected areas so they can commit more drug-related crime.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee already. I'm no fan of Shumlin but at least he admits that we have a HUGE problem.
My Wife was in the Rutland School system and had to go to seminars on drugs. Her last one was Meth, which they are expecting to be a bigger problem than heroin.
A very safe way for the dope to travel is the Amtrak trains that come in from Albany.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Sorry Hopes. A lot of the heroin is coming from out of state. Talk to any VT law enforcement officer. It is very cheap in the metro areas south of here and is being brought up here and resold for a huge profit. As I stated above, these out of state dealers are coming up here with the drugs and recruiting local people to work under them. Again, talk to any VT law enforcement officer (I have 2 in my family).

2 NY men arrested in big Burlington heroin bust - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Rutland heroin bust - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Heroin bust on Interstate 91 - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Mega drug bust on the Mega Bus - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-
Well, uh, heroin HAS TO come from out of state since the climate for poppy production isn't too good in Vermont. My guess is 100% of the heroin comes not only from out of state but out of the country.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:19 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Well, uh, heroin HAS TO come from out of state since the climate for poppy production isn't too good in Vermont. My guess is 100% of the heroin comes not only from out of state but out of the country.
I think everyone gets that. The country as a whole has failed in the drug war!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It all comes from out of the country. You might be able to hide marijuana plants, but you can't hide poppy fields.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hero...iw=911&bih=403
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont