Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 02:42 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times

Advertisements

Moved from NJ ten years ago to upstate NY, 20 miles from VT border. I totally understand about the stress and aggressiveness of drivers in NJ. Driving RT 80 everyday was brutal. IMO NJ has become worse through the years. No one apparently reads the driver's manuals, but then again it is given in a huge number of languages. Not sure how that works with reading signs. The kids riding on "crotch rockets" are a menace to automobile drivers, diving in and out of traffic.

My daughter lives in VT, about 30 miles from me and I have to say the VT drivers are very courteous and in no hurry. My granddaughter recently received her driver's license and she is a very safe and conscientious driver. Upstate NY drivers are a little more aggressive IMO than VT. Just saying...BUT after spending 10+ winters in FL...THEY are the worse (and it's not the snowbirds!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 08:32 AM

174 posts, read 204,235 times
What I've experienced in Watertown,NY is it's full of low income rednecks who go out of their way to annoy others and in general disturb the peace.Not a friendly place at all full of people with no consideration of others.
Lived here over 2 years and never see police patrols other than major roads.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:56 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Aggressive driving is in the eye of the beholder, but I have observed that the folks who pass in places that aren't ideal for passing are often from NY & NJ, usually heading north on a Friday evening as they presumably rush to wherever they are going. This is on the Western side of the State where Rt 7 is the main thoroughfare. I live on the Western side and see this regularly. On the other side of the State, the folks from CT come up via I91. I used to work in MA just below the border and pretty much every time it was snowing on a Friday evening as I headed north on I91, I'd play a guessing game as to which of the CT vehicles weren't going to make it. MA salts I91 more heavily than VT and the road conditions noticeably change at the border. The folks from CT going too fast for the conditions would not slow down when they got to VT. As they passed me I'd predict which ones I'd soon see off the road. I was right more often than not. They weeded themselves out before even getting to Exit 1.

All that said, I don't blame the NY/NJ/CT folks for being in a hurry to get up here for the weekend. Hopefully they then get to relax and de-stress and enjoy their visit.
Depending on where I am coming from -- Albany or Long Island -- I utilize either 7 or 91 to get to my place in Windsor County. I agree, those of us from NY and our NJ neighbors tend to drive faster and more aggressively. Most of the green plates I see are in the right lane, chugging along at or near the speed limit.

As far as the snow and ice -- some of these people have a death wish or a false sense of security in their SUV instilled by ridiculously untrue commercials.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:27 PM

130 posts, read 140,667 times
For the original poster:
2 years ago decided to move on from my rural farmlands of northern nj. Taxes and other reasons driving us onward.
I spent mega hours looking at real estate online, in person, coming to sights like this, doing lotsa homework.
Virginia was choice 1. In the end, after visiting 4 ambitious times, I had to say No to Virginia (just couldn't do the culture).

Heading back north to my beloved Adirondack areas, (summered lake George for decades), spent lotsa time in New york state (between Albany and ticonderoga). Liked Cambridge and some towns around there, but the taxes and home prices were not much better than nj. And there is that underlying good old boy, truck up on high wheels stuff I found unsavory in rural nj. I recall driving thru a sweet little nys hamlet, to end up on the next road over, in a depressed, downtrodden town with cars on blocks, confederate flags on 3 homes and unkempt homes.
It was that very day, the same hour, I crossed the border from eastern nys into western Vermont and it was like night and day.

It took me a few trips to Rutland areas and a couple trips to Brattleboro areas to convince me the most lovely area of the world is in south east Vermont.

I was drawn to the meandering river up and down route 30, the picture postcard little towns with their post office and two churches. And the mountains! Every time I drive north and roll out of hoosick on route 7, and see that Welcome to Vermont sign and then those Green Mountains appear on all sides, well, I know I am home.

The folks in my tiny town have all been warmly welcoming and friendly. Having lived in Maine for a few years, am used to that bit of new England reservedness. But it's not unfriendliness. Folks would do anything for you. It's more of them taking time to get your measure. In our few months up in Vt, we have met so many nice folk; on the grocery line, in a parking lot, at the river.

This is my experience, our new chapter. Couldn't be happier with our choice. But everyone has different ideas of what home is for them, what different needs they need met.
For me/us, it was being surrounded by stunning nature, in a very laid back, friendly place, with a more affordable tax bill, and folks in the store who tell you, Go ahead, your pup is welcome in here!
It's not Mayberry, but sure close enuf for us.
Best of luck to you

Old 11-01-2017, 07:00 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinG60 View Post
For the original poster:
2 years ago decided to move on from my rural farmlands of northern nj. Taxes and other reasons driving us onward.
I spent mega hours looking at real estate online, in person, coming to sights like this, doing lotsa homework.
Virginia was choice 1. In the end, after visiting 4 ambitious times, I had to say No to Virginia (just couldn't do the culture).

Heading back north to my beloved Adirondack areas, (summered lake George for decades), spent lotsa time in New york state (between Albany and ticonderoga). Liked Cambridge and some towns around there, but the taxes and home prices were not much better than nj. And there is that underlying good old boy, truck up on high wheels stuff I found unsavory in rural nj. I recall driving thru a sweet little nys hamlet, to end up on the next road over, in a depressed, downtrodden town with cars on blocks, confederate flags on 3 homes and unkempt homes.
It was that very day, the same hour, I crossed the border from eastern nys into western Vermont and it was like night and day.

It took me a few trips to Rutland areas and a couple trips to Brattleboro areas to convince me the most lovely area of the world is in south east Vermont.

I was drawn to the meandering river up and down route 30, the picture postcard little towns with their post office and two churches. And the mountains! Every time I drive north and roll out of hoosick on route 7, and see that Welcome to Vermont sign and then those Green Mountains appear on all sides, well, I know I am home.

The folks in my tiny town have all been warmly welcoming and friendly. Having lived in Maine for a few years, am used to that bit of new England reservedness. But it's not unfriendliness. Folks would do anything for you. It's more of them taking time to get your measure. In our few months up in Vt, we have met so many nice folk; on the grocery line, in a parking lot, at the river.

This is my experience, our new chapter. Couldn't be happier with our choice. But everyone has different ideas of what home is for them, what different needs they need met.
For me/us, it was being surrounded by stunning nature, in a very laid back, friendly place, with a more affordable tax bill, and folks in the store who tell you, Go ahead, your pup is welcome in here!
It's not Mayberry, but sure close enuf for us.
Best of luck to you
That entrance to VT from Hoosick is one of my favorite spots. I have the exact same reaction. You leave a somewhat dreary part of NY (the drive on Rt 7 from Troy to the border) and as you crest the hill near the border the mountain vista and Bennington down below is so welcoming in its magnificence. I too know I am home.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:28 AM

Ah yes Biker53, that dreaded slog thru troy.
Then the mountains!
Its at times such a long poke to eastern vermont along Route 9, but somehow i dont normally mind.

Not sure if you head north on 7, or keep going east, but couple weeks ago, on trip back to Jersey, i took 9 all the way across and was rewarded with a stunning autumn view off the top of Hogback Mountain.

Some days i ponder i may be the luckiest gal in the world! (Or i think that until i hit Troy again

Old 11-02-2017, 06:30 AM

Brattleboro vt
Attached Thumbnails
Significant differences between upstate NY and VT?-fb_img_1508810176311.jpg  

Old 11-02-2017, 06:44 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessyankee View Post
What I've experienced in Watertown,NY is it's full of low income rednecks who go out of their way to annoy others and in general disturb the peace.Not a friendly place at all full of people with no consideration of others.
Lived here over 2 years and never see police patrols other than major roads.
I don’t think everyone in Watertown are “low income rednecks”, but it is a small city that varies and the area has a range of communities like Clayton, Sackets Harbor, Alexandria Bay and the Brownsville/Glen Park area that are fine/very nice. Same with the southern portion of the city especially around Washington Street and Thompson Park. So, it may just come down to where you live in the area.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:48 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
To be fair, a simple search shows that some in VT fly Confederate flags and I’m sure some towns are nicer than others in the state, just like NY or any other state for that matter.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:49 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
That entrance to VT from Hoosick is one of my favorite spots. I have the exact same reaction. You leave a somewhat dreary part of NY (the drive on Rt 7 from Troy to the border) and as you crest the hill near the border the mountain vista and Bennington down below is so welcoming in its magnificence. I too know I am home.
I had never before taken that ride until my youngest decided upon attending a college in Albany. A year and multiple trips later, I can truly appreciate your sentiment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont