Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 PM

8 posts, read 17,807 times

Advertisements

Just moved North from NJ to Vermont in November, 2010. Not an easy task when you are hoofin it by your lonesome. Lots of culture shock after I moved. But I was never a city kid deep down. I visited The whole southern region of Vermont looking for a residence before landing a nice rental home. Was a task due to the fact I had 4 cats. Many landlords ask for heavy pet deposits if you have too many. I moved to a state where they have had one of the three worst winters in History.
I have been having trouble landing a job online. Most Vermonters would rather SEE you up front and in person, so dont let the computer rule your employment seeking. I do love it here, I always have.
I am homesick, I always will be in a way. NJ is a hard tough state to live in, people are like grizzle, more rude, more outspoken and more apt to complain about stupid things. Up here, thats not the way it is. Be prepared to seriously lay yourself back aways to the NON RUSH type of living. You wont get everything yesterday. Lots of adjustment to rural living is necessary. Be prepared to have a AWD or anything that can get you through the snow and mud seasons. YOUR CAR IS VERY NECESSARY. If you live in Bennington, Burlington, Brattleboro, you may have the convenience of WALKING to pick up groceries. Vermont Bed and Breakfasts, at least the ones I was in are fabulous with food. Tremendous in fact. The Econolodge is comfortable but make sure you arent on the side of the shopping parking lot where load music from cars can be heard, 18 wheelers shook my room a few times while I stayed there. I am a light sleeper, so I bring a fan to mellow out outside noises. You have to be self sufficient, nature person, hearing gun shots in the woods at times, and THINK alot of the necessities you will need come winter. Most people in winter as far as I know hunker down and just stay home. But there are events, snow shoeing, skiing areas and things going on to get away from the insanity of cabin fever you may have. Although I am not a Paul Bunyan yet, I think I could congratulate myself for getting through it. It was very tough. I wouldnt recommend it to those that cant handle not having a mall or stores around them all the time. Or people for that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,146,123 times
this was a tough winter. i've always lived in cold weather and this was the first winter that "got" to me. good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont