Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:31 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,104,028 times

Advertisements

Today at the park some old man and his wife were walking their dogs while we were there with our son and dog.

The dogs came over and were bothering our dog, so we decided to do what we always do, leash her and leave. The dogs would not go away and the man got angry when we asked him to call off his dogs. I kept shooing them because my husband could not get the leash on our dog. These were massive dogs and my son was getting scared of being knocked over as well.

Basically this annoyed the man (and asking him to call off his dogs). He told us to get our "asses out of the park and go back to Connecticut or New York."
My husband told him we LIVED HERE and have every right to be here. He kept mouthing off to us that we hated dogs and it was pathetic.

My son was with us and I don't know why this guy was just an idiot. Last time I looked this was America and we are allowed to go anywhere we want.

I really cannot believe how ignorant some people are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,790,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Today at the park some old man and his wife were walking their dogs while we were there with our son and dog.

The dogs came over and were bothering our dog, so we decided to do what we always do, leash her and leave. The dogs would not go away and the man got angry when we asked him to call off his dogs. I kept shooing them because my husband could not get the leash on our dog. These were massive dogs and my son was getting scared of being knocked over as well.

Basically this annoyed the man (and asking him to call off his dogs). He told us to get our "asses out of the park and go back to Connecticut or New York."
My husband told him we LIVED HERE and have every right to be here. He kept mouthing off to us that we hated dogs and it was pathetic.

My son was with us and I don't know why this guy was just an idiot. Last time I looked this was America and we are allowed to go anywhere we want.

I really cannot believe how ignorant some people are...
Nice guy. I would have asked him when the surgery was rescheduled for -- obviously they didn't get the bug out of his ass the first time.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,142,389 times
Quote:
Unbelievable!!! Wow, way to ruin a nice day. Sorry you and your family had to encounter this unfortunate person.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Yeah, folks, I know 99% of Vermonters/NH folks I have met have been normal and nice (at least to my face). Why people 'hate NYers" is something I have encountered in other places and unless you are shoving someone off the sidewalk or drawing a gun on them, I have no clue WHY they are like that?

Maybe he's one who thinks 'we are ruining VT.' I know I find 'tourists' frustrating sometimes but to be so hostile for no reason (sorry I don't want my dog mauled by your dogs) is crazy. Yeah, he's probably just a cranky old man. The wife was embarrassed and so was I.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, folks, I know 99% of Vermonters/NH folks I have met have been normal and nice (at least to my face). Why people 'hate NYers" is something I have encountered in other places and unless you are shoving someone off the sidewalk or drawing a gun on them, I have no clue WHY they are like that?

I've always found that really strange. I'm predisposed to like NYers because my beloved grandma was from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, and many of my fave people since childhood were very NY. I'm also predisposed to like people with accents from India because of my yoga training years with beautiful souls from India.

Those are positive stereotypes and less hurtful than negative generalizations, but still they're stereotypes. No one is a "type" and it's pointless to peg people like that.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:31 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,699,322 times
There are people who think it's their inherent right to let their dogs run wherever they want and to harass whoever they want, and it seems that you encountered some of these people. I suspect this particular category of jerk is more common in Vermont because some people feel that, living in a rural area, they are more entitled to let their dogs be uncontrolled and unsupervised than people living in cities.

Fortnuately, in my twenty-six (almost twenty-seven now) years in Vermont I have found jerks to be an extreme minority.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:50 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,149,791 times
There are some terrible dog owners here. We were walking our dogs by a school in Monkton and a young dog came up to us. One of our dogs is nervous about other dogs and one is very old and doesn't appreciate having dogs jumping on her. The owner kept calling the dog and it wouldn't respond. I told the owner to come over and get his dog and he said his dog had to learn to "come when called". Obviously it never responded and he finally walked over and took his dog after a long period of time.

I also appreciate the people who bring their crazy Rottweilers to Church Street.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
The owner kept calling the dog and it wouldn't respond. I told the owner to come over and get his dog and he said his dog had to learn to "come when called". Obviously it never responded and he finally walked over and took his dog after a long period of time.
This is my #1 gripe, Quickdraw! If my dog lunges at someone on a bike or running (which she does but is LEASHED) I quickly pull her away and apologize! I also pull her out of the way of anyone I see coming on the bike/jogging path (because I know how she is).

One day I was simply walking her around the apartment grounds and this massive boxer comes running out of no where (another apartment). The owner was like 'la-dee-da' while my dog is jumping and pulling my arm off to dodge this dog. I said to the man could you get your dog? He ambled over (and slow as molasses). He said "I'm coming, Ma'am." in an annoyed tone. (jerk). Several times a week our other neighbor's mop dog (no clue what sort) runs out and does the same thing...The owner acts ANNOYED at me...(duh).

Old 12-30-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
One day I was simply walking her around the apartment grounds and this massive boxer comes running out of no where (another apartment). The owner was like 'la-dee-da' while my dog is jumping and pulling my arm off to dodge this dog. I said to the man could you get your dog? He ambled over (and slow as molasses). He said "I'm coming, Ma'am." in an annoyed tone. (jerk). Several times a week our other neighbor's mop dog (no clue what sort) runs out and does the same thing...The owner acts ANNOYED at me...(duh).
Unbelievable! If any of these dogs actually causes injury, it'll be their person's fault but the dog will be punished, and possibly lose his/her life. Drives me mad.

Gypsy, thank you for being such a good dog parent.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Several times a week our other neighbor's mop dog (no clue what sort)
LMAO!!! Great description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont