Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,826 times

Advertisements

I would seriously question whether Norfolk has a good public school system. I've not researched this question, but from reading threads on this forum, folks with kids who need public schools on that side of the water move to Va. Beach or Chesapeake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
I would seriously question whether Norfolk has a good public school system. I've not researched this question, but from reading threads on this forum, folks with kids who need public schools on that side of the water move to Va. Beach or Chesapeake.
Good point. There schools are a bit on the abysmal side. Unfortunately, I kinda glossed over that part of the OP 'cause I don't have kids myself.

But I know that the community in many areas of Norfolk is quite diverse, gay-friendly and more open-minded, and quite pet friendly as well (especially in the Ghent area).

Williamsburg might be a good choice as well, but the cost of living is probably a bit too high.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:41 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
Every city has at least one excellent public school. Unfortunately, it is usually in the most expensive housing area. They do go hand-in-hand.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:46 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna_lena View Post
Thank you for all of your responses, sorry for the delay.

@ Watchful-- Our families live in multiple states so we will be closer no matter what city we move to.

@LynchburgLover-- We don't all plan to live together, we all plan to move up together as one big trip. My girlfriend, my daughter, myself, the dog and two cats are one household and my mother, my sister, and their pets is the other household.

We all work at Walmart, but my girlfriend and I are planning on trying to find a job related to our degree plans

The degree she is working towards is Associates of Applied Science in Human Services.

I am working on my Associates of Applied Science in Business Administration though my career plan is to work with the environment, just not exactly sure what aspect yet. I was thinking about working in a national park or something involved with the city if I can find any openings.

My sister and mother will be transferring from store to store. Thank you again.
I echo staying clear of Northern Virginia. Bachelor's degree holders are a dime a dozen here so your Associate's degrees with be of little help. The cost of living is one of the highest in the nation, almost twice the national average, so the income your mother and sister would make would be worth far less here. However, most of the rest of state is affordable and beautiful, especially if you stay out of the tourist areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia