Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:13 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
1. Neighborhoods
If you don't like Fells Point, Canton, Mount Vernon, Clippers Mill, Federal Hill and others you probably just aren't meant to be in the city!
And Baltimore is home to many suburban like neighborhoods within city limits such as Ashburton, Beverly Hills, The Nicer Parts of Edmondson Village, and Ruxton, Homeland, and Guilford (Ruxton, Homeland, Guilford 3 of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country YES look it up!!)

This is one of my problems with Baltimore City. Most of those neighborhoods that you have mentioned seemed to be very white to me and unwelcoming as well. The black neighborhoods seemed very unwelcoming as well and really makes us uncomfortable. It seems to us that Baltimore works if you are two things. Poor black/white native or white yuppie which we are neither. Basically it doesn't seem to offer much for middle class black families in any way.
You make a good point, Texx. I am a Baltimore native. I like the city a lot, for things to do. But I have low tolerance for the quality of life and crime issues that infect any mid to large city. In Baltimore, there are too many people ready to flip out and harm or kill another over the smallest alleged disrespect or misperception. I have to admit I wonder if they have mental issues or are former crack babies. Drugs have poisoned too much in Baltimore. There is a group of educated, conscious, proud blacks in Baltimore, and a decent arts scene. And a few good schools. But I work in the city, and I get a little tired of what I see.

I am PG resident. I really like PG. It's not all suburban; there are urbanized parts that have some of the same ills as Baltimore (and, contrary to what I read above, there are drug issues in PG, come on now, you all). And while the crime is mainly limited to certain areas, the criminals travel, or their parents drag them out to a new house in a peaceful area in a last-ditch effort to save them. Or some people don't want to be "bourgie," so they move to a fancy house and keep the ghetto attitude and lifestyle, like they're "keeping it real" or something. There are some pretentious folks here (and I don't mistake being sophisticated, successful and articulate for being pretentious, by the way), but there are also those who are trying to keep up with the joneses. Mostly, I have found people who want to live a nice, peaceful life with their kids. And they want nice things. And there's nothing wrong with wanting nice things, either.

To the OP -- I think either Baltimore County (the areas Bmorefella named, except for Randallstown, and adding Catonsville), Howard County or PG County could work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM

153 posts, read 526,283 times
Thanks for the responses. I never really thought about Baltimore County very much but I must admit I have spent very little time there and I know very little about it. The city has been somehow disappointing. Coming from Houston, I am used to a larger black middle class presence than I see in B-More. I know it might not be racial and about money but the city just seems like it doesnt cater to me liked I hoped. This is my first experience living in a majority black city and I guess I had a romanaticized idea of it.

Oh well, I will definitely look more into Baltimore County but there is no place like PG county in the country so it seems to have a more unique quality to it that Balt. county, even with its better schools and less crime. But like I said, I need to learn more about before I make a decision.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:06 PM

342 posts, read 912,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
you make a good point, texx. I am a baltimore native. I like the city a lot, for things to do. But i have low tolerance for the quality of life and crime issues that infect any mid to large city. In baltimore, there are too many people ready to flip out and harm or kill another over the smallest alleged disrespect or misperception. I have to admit i wonder if they have mental issues or are former crack babies. Drugs have poisoned too much in baltimore. There is a group of educated, conscious, proud blacks in baltimore, and a decent arts scene. And a few good schools. But i work in the city, and i get a little tired of what i see.

I am pg resident. I really like pg. It's not all suburban; there are urbanized parts that have some of the same ills as baltimore (and, contrary to what i read above, there are drug issues in pg, come on now, you all). And while the crime is mainly limited to certain areas, the criminals travel, or their parents drag them out to a new house in a peaceful area in a last-ditch effort to save them. Or some people don't want to be "bourgie," so they move to a fancy house and keep the ghetto attitude and lifestyle, like they're "keeping it real" or something. There are some pretentious folks here (and i don't mistake being sophisticated, successful and articulate for being pretentious, by the way), but there are also those who are trying to keep up with the joneses. Mostly, i have found people who want to live a nice, peaceful life with their kids. And they want nice things. And there's nothing wrong with wanting nice things, either.

To the op -- i think either baltimore county (the areas bmorefella named, except for randallstown, and adding catonsville), howard county or pg county could work for you.
bowian didnt know you were a baltimore native!!!

Randallstown i should have said, woodstock!!

Catonsville, not westview mall catonsville
umbc in the woods catonsville!!!

But what you said is very true, that "keeping it real" in the suburbs attitude is everywhere! (woodlawn, md)

my favorite place in pg if i had to move is accokeek!!! Out by the berretta factory my friend lives in a development right off of 210!! Its really peaceful out there!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 04:59 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Bmorefella, agree with your last post on all counts!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:18 AM

4 posts, read 30,962 times
Texx,

My opinion as someone living in Baltimore my whole life..mainly SE. side of Balt City and County. If your inside the beltway (695) you will be see everyday walks of life...many areas on the east and se side of Baltimore County (Dundalk, Essex, Rosedale, Overlea)are very blue collar and hard working, housing is affordable esp if you like rowhomes and there are a lot of single family homes ranchers etc. Your close to the city and the water. Those areas are mostly white and sometimes gets a bad rep but those people are honest and a good time. Prob not what your looking for entirely but it's not a bad place. The night life on this side is close to Canton, (I know your not a BIG fan) plus those neighborhoods listed have their share entertainment including tons of bars, seafood rest, recreational activities and tons of sports leagues for kids and adults...These neighborhoods areas are starting to attract more minorities..Mainly middle to lower class blacks who are leaving the city as did many white families in the 70's and 80's. For example, the schools are better and the quality of living is better as well. But the County has it;s issues too. As Bmore fella pointed out, the murders are bet 20-40 a year in a county that has 800k and growing! The Police force is very strong and are committed to preventing crimes and helping the citizens in this county. Demographics: The County is 65% white. The whites are prominent from south, east and north as more blacks tend to dwell on the west side of the county but as i stated above that's slowly changing. The census that came out earlier in the year indicated that this once heavily white county is slowing changing as more whites left the county then came in. More Asians, Blacks and Spanish are moving in. (This shows diveristy) So in another 20 years Balt Cnty may resemble PG in a way as AA Majority County. In addition, If you’re looking for a more diverse flavor then the Northwest corridor of the county is prob where you'll find it. Randallstown, Owings Mills, Reisterstown are diverse with Blacks, Jews, Russians, Whites and a small Hispanic population. These areas very nice, offer a nice qulaity of living with a nice middle class, your surrended by educated people of all races. The city is not too far from those areas 10-15 mins.

More importantly people fail to tell you this about Baltimore Area schools whether you’re in the city or county..we have some of the best Private schools in the country! All Boys schools: Calvert Hall, Gilman, BL McDonough, ST. Pauls, Loyola to name a few Lets not forget about the 12-14 all girls schools as well. Plus Balt county schools bodes solid schools such as Dulaney, Towson, Pikesville, Franklin, Loch Raven, Eastern Tech, Perry Hall. The city offers good schools in Poly, City, Dunbar, Western. And in closing, I agree with your assumption on the yuppies in the white areas of the city (Canton, Fells, Fed Hill)..most are not home grown Baltimoreans from the city or county...their outsiders and they tend to stick their nose at everyone. I also see how you feel regarding the AA population in BMORE...not all blacks but their is a large % that are uneducated and many who lack compassion for life especially our younger generation but that's another topic for another time. We use to be CHARM City for a reason..if you were living here in the late 80's and into the 90's you will see that Bmore has made positice strides but we have a long way to go. Overall, NW Baltimore County would be a perfect fit for you and your wife. Good luck with your search and please keep us updated with your findings.

Last edited by bmoregrk24; 05-27-2011 at 08:33 AM..

Old 05-30-2011, 03:56 PM

153 posts, read 526,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrk24 View Post
Texx,

My opinion as someone living in Baltimore my whole life..mainly SE. side of Balt City and County. If your inside the beltway (695) you will be see everyday walks of life...many areas on the east and se side of Baltimore County (Dundalk, Essex, Rosedale, Overlea)are very blue collar and hard working, housing is affordable esp if you like rowhomes and there are a lot of single family homes ranchers etc. Your close to the city and the water. Those areas are mostly white and sometimes gets a bad rep but those people are honest and a good time. Prob not what your looking for entirely but it's not a bad place. The night life on this side is close to Canton, (I know your not a BIG fan) plus those neighborhoods listed have their share entertainment including tons of bars, seafood rest, recreational activities and tons of sports leagues for kids and adults...These neighborhoods areas are starting to attract more minorities..Mainly middle to lower class blacks who are leaving the city as did many white families in the 70's and 80's. For example, the schools are better and the quality of living is better as well. But the County has it;s issues too. As Bmore fella pointed out, the murders are bet 20-40 a year in a county that has 800k and growing! The Police force is very strong and are committed to preventing crimes and helping the citizens in this county. Demographics: The County is 65% white. The whites are prominent from south, east and north as more blacks tend to dwell on the west side of the county but as i stated above that's slowly changing. The census that came out earlier in the year indicated that this once heavily white county is slowing changing as more whites left the county then came in. More Asians, Blacks and Spanish are moving in. (This shows diveristy) So in another 20 years Balt Cnty may resemble PG in a way as AA Majority County. In addition, If you’re looking for a more diverse flavor then the Northwest corridor of the county is prob where you'll find it. Randallstown, Owings Mills, Reisterstown are diverse with Blacks, Jews, Russians, Whites and a small Hispanic population. These areas very nice, offer a nice qulaity of living with a nice middle class, your surrended by educated people of all races. The city is not too far from those areas 10-15 mins.

More importantly people fail to tell you this about Baltimore Area schools whether you’re in the city or county..we have some of the best Private schools in the country! All Boys schools: Calvert Hall, Gilman, BL McDonough, ST. Pauls, Loyola to name a few Lets not forget about the 12-14 all girls schools as well. Plus Balt county schools bodes solid schools such as Dulaney, Towson, Pikesville, Franklin, Loch Raven, Eastern Tech, Perry Hall. The city offers good schools in Poly, City, Dunbar, Western. And in closing, I agree with your assumption on the yuppies in the white areas of the city (Canton, Fells, Fed Hill)..most are not home grown Baltimoreans from the city or county...their outsiders and they tend to stick their nose at everyone. I also see how you feel regarding the AA population in BMORE...not all blacks but their is a large % that are uneducated and many who lack compassion for life especially our younger generation but that's another topic for another time. We use to be CHARM City for a reason..if you were living here in the late 80's and into the 90's you will see that Bmore has made positice strides but we have a long way to go. Overall, NW Baltimore County would be a perfect fit for you and your wife. Good luck with your search and please keep us updated with your findings.
Thanks for the post. I have told my wife about the NW area of the county and we are excited to explore it more.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
Interesting perspective that I like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarRocks View Post
Baltimore: Urban, Gritty, Northern feel and attitude
PG county: Suburban, Sprawl, Country, Southern feel and attitude in some parts but city-fied in others. It reminds me a lot of Atlanta suburbs outside of the beltway. PG can be very "country". Largo, Upper Marlboro, Clinton, Brandywine, Woodmore, Mitchellville, Oxon Hill, Ft. Washington, Accokeek; now thats the country right there.

Both Baltimore and PG are heavily black, but PG county has more hispanics.

As said before, crime in Baltimore is all about gangs and drugs. Its easy to avoid being a victim in that city. PG county on the other hands is about neighborhood/apartment complex beefs and robberies, which happen ALOT.

Baltimore and PG county schools are equally bad. Elementary schools may be okay but the high schools are ghetto for the most part. and overcrowded.

Baltimore is cheap compared to PG county. You'd have to dish out at least $900+ a month for a one bedroom not to live in the ghetto in PG county.

Baltimore is down to earth
PG county can be very pretentious even in the hood. I think black people in PG county are by far the most pretentious in the country, only second to Atlanta.

Baltimore = Upfront Grimey
PG county = Sneaky Grimey

Old 09-05-2013, 07:11 AM

PG County Blacks have more money and businesses down there!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:13 AM

"Baltimore is down to earth
PG county can be very pretentious even in the hood. I think black people in PG county are by far the most pretentious in the country, only second to Atlanta.

Baltimore = Upfront Grimey
PG county = Sneaky Grimey"

*Baltimore is so down-to-earth, the people are living in the sewers..intellectually, spiritually and economically!!

Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,503 times
Baltimore is urban PG is suburban.

Not all of PG is black. Hyattsville, Bladensburg, Riverdale, Mt. Rainer, Adelphi, Langley Park, Takoma Park basically most of Northern PG is majority Hispanic and black. Laurel, Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Brandywine, basically the towns that border another county are white and black. Landover, Largo, Oxon Hill, Suitland, Temple Hills, bascially anything in "Hills" "Land" "Heights" will be a black population.

Your middle class and Upper Middle Class are in Bowie, Laurel, Mitchellville, Upper Marlboro, Beltsville, with your top dollar earners in Woodmore, Tantallion, and some parts of Upper Marlboro.

The Real Estate market leans on those areas as well. homes in those areas range from 400k-700k or higher depending on loaction. Woodmore has around 800k-the millions, while UM, Bowie and Laurel have homes from 400k to around upper 500s.

As a Probation Officer, Crime is EVERYWHERE. However, the most violent crimes happen inside 495 in places like Forestville, Suitland, Landover, etc. Whereas property crimes happen in Bowie, Laurel, UM, Beltsville. Dont get me wrong they have a few murders also, a murder happened in Laurel around April and one happened in Bowie just not long ago in Late July/Early August but its not very common.

Schools vary, people on this thread will bash PG County Schools the first chance they can. Bowie, Laurel, Roosevelt are your better schools. Flowers and Oxon Hill have Science & Tech programs along with Roosevelt. Whereas Central, Fairmont Heights, Crossland are your underperformers. In 2013 or 2014 school year ALL schools will have some type of academy program whether its finance, performing arts, ROTC, engineering, nursing, etc.

PG County is more expensive because the DC market is more expensive than the B-More market. But compared to Montgomery, Arlington,Alexandria, and Fairfax counties, PG is more for your money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland