Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 09:18 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Really? I think you better look at NoVa. Heavy gang area for MS-13. ANd trust me, gangs don't have headquarters.
I agree that NoVA has gang issues, but heavy? Really? Have you seen the difference in the murder rates in NoVA compared to PG? If the gang activity is heavy, they aren't doing a very good job. Last year you could combine every part of NoVA from Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria, etc. murder rates and compare them to PG and they would still be less. Let's not exaggerate. I do agree that it's a little ridiculous to assert that there is a headquarters for MS-13, like we are all going to know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 PM

74 posts, read 171,021 times
Does anyone else living in PG County get tired of defending it? I find it very tiring.

I feel like I need a signature that I can post at the bottom of all my posts that says something like "professional white couple making well into the six figures with two elementary aged children who happily reside in PG county AND send their children to *gasp* public school (admittedly the TAG program, but still) AND feel safe walking the neighborhood streets AND are buying another house in PG county because we like the proximity to DC and NoVA, lower housing cost, diversity, etc."

Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I agree that NoVA has gang issues, but heavy? Really? Have you seen the difference in the murder rates in NoVA compared to PG? If the gang activity is heavy, they aren't doing a very good job. Last year you could combine every part of NoVA from Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria, etc. murder rates and compare them to PG and they would still be less. Let's not exaggerate. I do agree that it's a little ridiculous to assert that there is a headquarters for MS-13, like we are all going to know that.
Yes. Really. There are crimes other than murder by gangs. Especially if a particular gang has few gangs to compete with for territory. For example, there's racketeering, petty theft, grand theft, gambling, distribution of drugs, and NoVa has big issues with MS-13 and the sex slave trade. Not all of those crimes make the news media or are even reported. There are cases where people are being extorted for "protection" that you won't see in the news or in the paper. Murder is rarely a gang's number 1 MO. If anything it's usually drug sales.

I remember a poster who said there was a heavy MS-13 presence in Northwestern High School. Not all gang members are violent criminals. If one can believe that.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 AM

117 posts, read 234,437 times
I totally agree with you KCP_1980. My wife and I moved to PG 2 years ago from Montgomery. We don't regret that. We are Hispanic born and raised in Montgomery and also make well into the six figures. We have a son and are considering sending him to elementary school through PG public school in a few years.

My entire family lives in Montgomery and I had to defend my reason to move to PG.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:32 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Yes. Really. There are crimes other than murder by gangs. Especially if a particular gang has few gangs to compete with for territory. For example, there's racketeering, petty theft, grand theft, gambling, distribution of drugs, and NoVa has big issues with MS-13 and the sex slave trade. Not all of those crimes make the news media or are even reported. There are cases where people are being extorted for "protection" that you won't see in the news or in the paper. Murder is rarely a gang's number 1 MO. If anything it's usually drug sales.

I remember a poster who said there was a heavy MS-13 presence in Northwestern High School. Not all gang members are violent criminals. If one can believe that.
Can you post the statistics for that area?

Point being, when you counter your points when someone says something like that (which I didn't even say I agreed with his point), you hurt your point when you exaggerate, which no offense, you do often on here. I'm just sitting here thinking, like really, you don't have to exaggerate just to prove your point. Just give people facts as they are.

I agree NoVA has gang issues. I know there are Asian gangs in Annandale, some hispanic gangs in the Manassas area and perhaps some sprinkled around other areas, but to say it's HEAVY? I don't know, maybe you have some information that is going to shock me. If it's not being reported in the news media, but you still know this, then I'm assuming you have a source of information that you can share with us

Old 07-09-2013, 12:29 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCP_1980 View Post
Does anyone else living in PG County get tired of defending it? I find it very tiring.

I feel like I need a signature that I can post at the bottom of all my posts that says something like "professional white couple making well into the six figures with two elementary aged children who happily reside in PG county AND send their children to *gasp* public school (admittedly the TAG program, but still) AND feel safe walking the neighborhood streets AND are buying another house in PG county because we like the proximity to DC and NoVA, lower housing cost, diversity, etc."

I don't feel tired at all. In fact, I love to verbally punch naysayers in the face whenever they discount the awesomeness of PGC (particularly Southern PGC).

Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Can you post the statistics for that area?

Point being, when you counter your points when someone says something like that (which I didn't even say I agreed with his point), you hurt your point when you exaggerate, which no offense, you do often on here. I'm just sitting here thinking, like really, you don't have to exaggerate just to prove your point. Just give people facts as they are.

I agree NoVA has gang issues. I know there are Asian gangs in Annandale, some hispanic gangs in the Manassas area and perhaps some sprinkled around other areas, but to say it's HEAVY? I don't know, maybe you have some information that is going to shock me. If it's not being reported in the news media, but you still know this, then I'm assuming you have a source of information that you can share with us
Somehow I don't think Korean American gangs should really be grouped as the same degree as MS-13 or even other Asian gangs (e.g. the Chinese Triad).

Old 07-09-2013, 02:05 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,509 times
This needs to be closed

Old 07-09-2013, 02:47 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCP_1980 View Post

Why do you need to defend your decisions? Your experience doesn't negate the legitimate criticisms of PG. Frankly I do find the PG is dangerous meme overhyped. Yeah crime is an issue but for the average person it won't be. Of course that could be said about anywhere but in places like DC you run the real risk of getting mugged. I know a gay white guy who was mugged and knocked out cold his first week here.

Folks just don't go walking around Seat Pleasant for example not much danger.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:48 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
I don't feel tired at all. In fact, I love to verbally punch naysayers in the face whenever they discount the awesomeness of PGC (particularly Southern PGC).
Brandywine is improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland