Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:04 AM

36 posts, read 115,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I agree. The Hyattsville zipcode takes up half of the unincorporated parts of northern PG including Lanham.
That was so annoying when I was looking for an apartment. I wanted Hyattsville near College Park but places near Landover and Cheverly would pop up, so I would have to keep checking Google maps to see exactly where a place was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:29 AM

631 posts, read 1,395,893 times
PG is the only area where I see zip codes where the town itself is not even that town...Hyattsville, Upper Marlboro, Bowie, Laurel.

Woodmore Town Center is in Glenarden, but has a Lanham zipcode but is in Largo...SMH. PG Community College is in Largo, but has an UM name, Vista Gardens off MLK and Lottsford Road has a Bowie name, but is really...LANHAM. Now Parts of Beltsville (over near Old Baltimore Pike, and near Muirkirk MARC Station) are getting a Laurel name... Not to mention Laurel includes Savage and soon Fulton/Maple Lawn in HC.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:50 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
PG is the only area where I see zip codes where the town itself is not even that town...Hyattsville, Upper Marlboro, Bowie, Laurel.

Woodmore Town Center is in Glenarden, but has a Lanham zipcode but is in Largo...SMH. PG Community College is in Largo, but has an UM name, Vista Gardens off MLK and Lottsford Road has a Bowie name, but is really...LANHAM. Now Parts of Beltsville (over near Old Baltimore Pike, and near Muirkirk MARC Station) are getting a Laurel name... Not to mention Laurel includes Savage and soon Fulton/Maple Lawn in HC.
Huh, we do?

Old 07-12-2013, 07:35 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post

I can explain some of this.

Glenarden and Lanham share the same zip code 20706. So technically when people talk about Woodmore Town Center they interchange the name of the town, but like you said it's really should be Glenarden (the Glenarden police have jurisdiction there). Technically, it really should be considered Largo. The church in front of the shopping center on St Joseph's Drive has a Largo address even. If you go behind the shopping center you will run into Springdale (Largo/Upper Marlboro) and Mitchellville (Bowie). Strange right?

Upper Marlboro comprises of two zip codes, 20772 and 20774. The 20774 is basically Largo or Springdale. Springdale is a bit odd because it's basically right next to Bowie so it's confusing that it has the same zip code as Largo. People call 20774 Upper Marlboro but Upper Marlboro the city and the surrounding territory is strictly in the 20772.

Beltsville, I don't completely understand that one.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:45 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I lived in Landover too during the "bad" years in the 80s/90s. Nothing ever got stolen. My family and I were never harmed. I used to walk from Capitol Plaza mall to the bowling alley and across to the shopping center. I was never bothered. I think for some people the appearance of an area my be too much for them to handle. Yes, we can look at crime stats online now, but people rarely look deeper into those stats. Some crime happens between those who know each other. Other times, the people involved are in criminal organizations and commit crime against each other. Other times crime may result from a heated dispute between two hotheads. No amount of crime in these areas has warranted marshall law or the national guard. Crime does happen randomly at times, but other times it doesn't. Just because a car is broken into 2 miles down the street doesn't mean my particular area is unsafe. It just means a car was broken into 2 miles down the street. If we measured unsafe areas by thefts, occasional fights, etc. NO place would be "safe." And areas experience cycles of crime. One area may have a rash of violence one part of the year and quiet down the next. Crime also shifts at times. Like the person who was stabbing women in the butt in NoVA
See, now the part of Landover I heard was the worst was the mall and the apartments next to it. And that was back in the late 70s. Landover Mall wasn't all that bad back then, but it was getting there. As an aside, at that time, I was living in Forestville. The apartments I lived in then were going to hell. The junior high school (in Morningside) was okay academically but horrible socially. Knuckleheads galore.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,566,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
See, now the part of Landover I heard was the worst was the mall and the apartments next to it. And that was back in the late 70s. Landover Mall wasn't all that bad back then, but it was getting there. As an aside, at that time, I was living in Forestville. The apartments I lived in then were going to hell. The junior high school (in Morningside) was okay academically but horrible socially. Knuckleheads galore.
Yep. It's all about where the shifts occur and when. I know some people would fear for their lives even driving THROUGH Langley Park. My wife and I stopped by Tiffin to pick up some delicious Indian food yesterday....at NIGHT. Oh the horror! I parked my 2013 BMW in the parking lot behind a bus stop where "violent criminals" were waiting for the bus. My wife was tired and the order took longer than expected. She fell asleep in the car. Excellent bait right? When I returned, my wife and car was still intact and the "criminals" were still waiting for the bus. Imagine that?

Old 07-12-2013, 09:20 AM

354 posts, read 785,064 times
the worst areas are...

Seat pleasant - the whole area from MLK hwy to eastern ave
cap heights - central gardens(some consider this seat pleasant too), walker mill, larchmont ave area, all the small apt complexes on marlboro pike
district heights - dont remember the name of those apts but the hood was called Gas Station back in the day cuz a gas station use to sit rite in the middle of the complex
forestville - all those apts complexs off walters ln and hil mar dr, use to be called forest creek but its call regency something now has a district heights mailing but if u from there u know its forestville
Landover- kentland, palmer park, dodge park rd which they call 2-5 cuz of the 25hour store)
Glenarden - brightseat rd ( across from old landover mall the maple ridge apts and glenarden apts which are bordered up rite now)
Suitland - most of suitland is bad the only good part really is near branch ave station
temple hills - 28 ave, carraige hill
oxon hill - eastover area, glassmanor and southview

im not too familiar with northern pg so i cant really comment on those areas

but foreal the county has torn down the worst parts of pg. pg had projects which most people didnt kno but they have been torn down within the last 10 yrs...
Chapel woods on nova ave in capital heights, oxford knolls and suitland manor apts in suitland, homer ave and huron ave in suitland, strafford woods in landover, washington heights in landover (they renovated it and is now the gated ivy club apts), the apts that use to be rite across from kentland on landover rd (where the built Overland gardens)

all those places were terrible and have torn down

Old 07-12-2013, 11:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,307 times
Take any exit off of the BW Parkway after going inside the beltway. Kenilworth Ave is choice. Follow Central Ave inside the beltway.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:17 AM

10 posts, read 23,209 times
Uhhhh to the guy naming half the county above me lol none of them places u named are bad areas nor hoods just a bunch of lil *****z standing outside n a certain place or in front of a store thats not hood and i live right next to carriage hill & 28th ave aint nothing bad about that area

Old 10-29-2014, 02:03 PM

74 posts, read 95,012 times
Having lived in PG County the first good chunk of my life, if you wanna live in the county, I would suggest somewhere in the Beltsville area. Now mind you, nowhere is perfect however Beltsville is a little more safer than anywhere else is the county which I'm assuming is due to the fact that that portion of PG borders on Montgomery County. I grew up in Hyattsville and I wouldn't even recommend anyone moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland