Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:29 PM

9 posts, read 12,293 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be relocating from Denver to the DC area this summer. The problem, of course, is where to live. My job would be in Arlington (which is where I lived for 3 years before I moved to Denver 10 years ago). His job would be in Lanham, MD and he's never lived outside of Colorado. Also, his job is more of a 24/7 type of job where he is always on call. As for me, I'm a fed. My hours are set and I don't mind a commute (especially if I don't have to drive - commuter bus or van pool is great!).

We will have 3 small kids at home (the oldest will have left for college - yay!). So, schools are of utmost importance to us. I cannot stress this enough. This was primarily why I lived in Arlington previously - my oldest attended elementary school there. Also, I will be in need of good GT programs.

My search so far has led me to Calvert County (primarily the north due to my commute) and parts of Anne Arundel County (my ex grew up in Crofton, it always seemed very nice).

Here's my question: is there anything I'm missing? Is there some great area that would be a nice commuting compromise for the two of us and also get us great schools?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 11:35 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcutindenver View Post
Here's my question: is there anything I'm missing? Is there some great area that would be a nice commuting compromise for the two of us and also get us great schools?
Why not Montgomery County? Bethesda and Chevy Chase would put you in a mid-point. You could commute on Metro to Arlington and husband could drive.

If the prices there are too much, look at Rockville, Silver Spring, Kensington, gaithersburg or Olney.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Bethesda or Chevy Chase would be a nice splitting of the distance, but I think you'd be hating life pretty quickly if you had to commute from Bethesda to, say, Crystal City via Metro. Even with traffic being what it is, I'd drive that.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Thank you for your replies! What kind of driving commute is it from Bethesda (or some such area in Montgomery Cty) over to Lanham? I must confess I am woefully ignorant when it comes to the MD suburbs. Would my Colorado born and raised husband be able to survive?

Old 02-03-2012, 01:31 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,823 times
During rush hour you're looking at possibly a 45 min - 1 hr drive. I can't even imagine trying to pull off a commute like that unless its off-peak hours.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
During rush hour you're looking at possibly a 45 min - 1 hr drive.
But, people do that all the time, as I did. The OP proposed living in Calvert County and commuting to Arlington! Even if she were on a commuter bus and transferred to the Metro, I bet it would be an hour and a quarter. Calvert would be good for the husband, however.

If the OP doesn't want to look at Montgomery County, maybe Alexandria would work. I don't know anything about the school system however.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:25 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,823 times
Maybe I was looking at Google maps and forgot that they aren't too far. Then again I go to school and Rockville and commute from Bethesda which basically goes against traffic (my only commute so far in my young life).

Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 PM

Hmmm....so if Hubby is commuting into Lanham (during rush hour), it seems that Bethesda is not a very good option. If I look at it right, he would need to take the Beltway (right?). And if memory serves me, that's never good. Is something that takes us out US-50 going to be our best option for him? I think he could handle length to a drive, if it wasn't constant gridlock.

As for me, don't worry about it - I can handle anything be it metro, car, or otherwise.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Is something that takes us out US-50 going to be our best option for him?
I don't have personal experience with Route 50 during rush hour, but it's probably as bad as the Beltway. If you could finds back roads from Crofton or Calvert County to Lanham, it's probably tolerable.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:38 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,500 times
Quote:
My husband and I may be relocating from Denver to the DC area this summer. The problem, of course, is where to live. My job would be in Arlington (which is where I lived for 3 years before I moved to Denver 10 years ago). His job would be in Lanham, MD and he's never lived outside of Colorado. Also, his job is more of a 24/7 type of job where he is always on call. As for me, I'm a fed. My hours are set and I don't mind a commute (especially if I don't have to drive - commuter bus or van pool is great!).

We will have 3 small kids at home (the oldest will have left for college - yay!). So, schools are of utmost importance to us. I cannot stress this enough. This was primarily why I lived in Arlington previously - my oldest attended elementary school there. Also, I will be in need of good GT programs.

My search so far has led me to Calvert County (primarily the north due to my commute) and parts of Anne Arundel County (my ex grew up in Crofton, it always seemed very nice).

Thanks!!
I moved from Boulder to the D.C. metro area and I am much happier. I think you are missing something. If you lived in Rockville for instance, or near the Shady Grove metro, you could take the metro to Arlington, while your husband could take the new ICC connector which takes you, via tolls, from Gaithersburg to route 95 directly, which is then a short drive to Lanham. Since the ICC is a toll road you could assume there wouldn't be rush hour type trafffic. That's what I would do. Take a look on the map and you will see what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland