Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 07:40 AM

283 posts, read 322,886 times
Update on the city hall redevelopment. Sounds like the University is going to partner with the city to also develop the block facing route 1. This block be block approach seems to be the best way to transform the city and eventually reach a critical mass where the town is vibrant enough to entice family's and young professionals to consider living there.

City Hall to be rebuilt at existing location after years of debate - News - The Diamondback Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 08:20 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
Update on the city hall redevelopment. Sounds like the University is going to partner with the city to also develop the block facing route 1. This block be block approach seems to be the best way to transform the city and eventually reach a critical mass where the town is vibrant enough to entice family's and young professionals to consider living there.

City Hall to be rebuilt at existing location after years of debate - News - The Diamondback Online
I agree with the site they chose. I think that city hall should be where most people travel and do other business and that's on RT. 1. I'm sure that those who supported the other sites are expecting that a city hall in their neighborhood would spur development. The current city hall was placed where it is now for a reason. Everyone knows where the current city hall is now. In addition, due to the increasing density along the RT. corridor, it will be easily accessible by more residents rather than in less dense neighborhoods.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 12-03-2014 at 08:37 AM..

Old 12-13-2014, 09:13 AM

1,261 posts, read 695,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I agree with the site they chose. I think that city hall should be where most people travel and do other business and that's on RT. 1. I'm sure that those who supported the other sites are expecting that a city hall in their neighborhood would spur development. The current city hall was placed where it is now for a reason. Everyone knows where the current city hall is now. In addition, due to the increasing density along the RT. corridor, it will be easily accessible by more residents rather than in less dense neighborhoods.
I just hate to see goverment buildings locate in a prime spot, vs a building that could house a small business or a really great store, residences, or other.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
I just hate to see goverment buildings locate in a prime spot, vs a building that could house a small business or a really great store, residences, or other.
Government builds usually spur those developments that you prefer. Developers are guaranteed that government buildings will always have employees and visitors. And the building will not be that large. If I read the plans correctly, they will try to incorporate it into the current block where the strip center facing RT. 1 will be redeveloped into something better.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:23 PM

MMMMMmmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Replacing Big Play Sports Grill on the corner of Route
1 and Hartwick Road, the new restaurant will focus on
the Southern comfort food that the local owners were
raised on. Dishes are expected to include traditional
favorites like shrimp and grits, chicken and waffles,
blackened catfish, collared greens, cornbread,
peach cobbler, and sweet potato pie.
Restaurant owner wants to bring

Old 12-15-2014, 03:25 PM

New College Park Business Beat includes Nando's Peri Peri, a southern comfort style bar & grill, and a popular DC vegan restaurant.

http://cpemplogin.collegeparkmd.gov/...ember_2014.pdf

Old 12-16-2014, 05:35 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
They've already been demolished.
I was an idiot to move out. I should've stayed until November and see if they'd offer me $10,000 to get out!

Old 12-17-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Government builds usually spur those developments that you prefer. Developers are guaranteed that government buildings will always have employees and visitors. And the building will not be that large. If I read the plans correctly, they will try to incorporate it into the current block where the strip center facing RT. 1 will be redeveloped into something better.
Usually? not sure about that....maybe the FBI can revitalize Greenbelt or GSA can do the same for Sparrows Point, or SE or NE. Its not like the IRS did wonders for Landover you know.......and not in little ole College Park....IMO. Save the space for small biz or good retail. Commerce is where its at....dont need City Hall to hog a good location.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
Usually? not sure about that....maybe the FBI can revitalize Greenbelt or GSA can do the same for Sparrows Point, or SE or NE. Its not like the IRS did wonders for Landover you know.......and not in little ole College Park....IMO. Save the space for small biz or good retail. Commerce is where its at....dont need City Hall to hog a good location.
Actually the IRS is helping make the case for the revitalization of the Landover metro. If there wasn't a large government office there, we may not be talking about any development there right now.

Also, centralized government offices never have adverse affects on retail. There is plenty of space for new retail highlighted by the many projects I've listed in this thread. The large parking lots will be transformed into mixed-use buildings with street-front retail. Like I said, the shopping center in front of the current city hall is to be redeveloped into mixed-use with floor level retail according to the master plan. A lot of new construction is included in the first phase of that plan. Ideally, city hall could be located on upper floors with the first floor dedicated to retail. We'll have to see what plans they come up with. That is certainly still an option.

And as far as new retail is concerned, with the amount of retail churn College Park sees, finding new retail should never be a problem.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Actually the IRS is helping make the case for the revitalization of the Landover metro. If there wasn't a large government office there, we may not be talking about any development there right now.

Also, centralized government offices never have adverse affects on retail. There is plenty of space for new retail highlighted by the many projects I've listed in this thread. The large parking lots will be transformed into mixed-use buildings with street-front retail. Like I said, the shopping center in front of the current city hall is to be redeveloped into mixed-use with floor level retail according to the master plan. A lot of new construction is included in the first phase of that plan. Ideally, city hall could be located on upper floors with the first floor dedicated to retail. We'll have to see what plans they come up with. That is certainly still an option.

And as far as new retail is concerned, with the amount of retail churn College Park sees, finding new retail should never be a problem.
Exactly my point, when did the IRS build in Landover? 25 years later.....Goverment doesn't spur growth, when they take space, they typicaly become their own island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland