Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 07:51 PM

340 posts, read 377,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I'm not actually down on it per se. But I am definitely suspicious of what I see and don't see. Specifically I do not believe that the units marked "under negotiation" on the H & R site plan are in fact under negotiation. They've been identified as such since this thread was started almost eighteen months ago, and since then nothing has been secured.

That's not how "under negotiation" works in the retail leasing industry.

Under negotiation begins when a lessee signs a Letter of Intent (LoI) with a lessor.

An LoI is not legally binding, and either party can walk away, but it sets out the broad parameters of the relationship that are not in dispute, the size of the area, cost per sq ft etc. The parties agree via the LoI not to back out of the deal using these issues as a pretext. They also commit to creating a legally binding fully executable lease within a defined period, usually 60-90 days from signing the LoI. This is for the protection of both parties.

My suspicion is that at one point H&R may have had signed LoI's for some or all the identified spaces, but leases have not been signed because the other party walked away, and H&R has been unwilling to acknowledge that, and convert the spaces back to open market. because it would represent a setback. It would say we had six LoI's and all six walked away. That would give other potentials pause.

This WaPo article from Oct 2013 references an opening date of early 2015, an 18 month build out timescale. We're now at 36 months.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...35e_story.html

Nothing particularly local about Burton's Grill. Corporate office is in Andover Ma.

WFM is headquartered in Texas.

Bella Beach Spa has just one other location, Ashburn Va.
The announcments could be slow for a lot of reasons, but we also heard about Habit long before, in what looked to be a leaked story bc it was the only source reporting it whatsoever, it was "formally" announced. Same with Xfinity and Jersey Mikes. So that could indicate they are just passive or semi-secretive about updating the site. I do expect announcements to be more frequent going into 2017.

I'm not saying that it will only be local, but I think they are trying to get in some local businesses and hot spots like District Taco. Not so local that it's a mom & pop startup, but not so national that there is another location within 5 miles. Offering something different like Burton's and Habit which aren't local but have only 1 very distant location in the DC Area otherwise. Maybe it should be more trendsetting or trendy at least. First x in PG, first y in PG, second z in the metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
So address the issue I raised, the failure so far to recruit new restaurants to avail of the specially created alcohol licenses. Believe it or not, fashion retailers, and even pet grooming facilities have no interest in alcohol licenses. Beyond the restaurants at LTC there are many other restaurants that have also so far failed to snap up these valuable assets. You've ridiculed the restaurants at LTC, as not being suitable for RPS. Fine, why don't you identify some restaurants that you would find acceptable?

Ruth's Chris is getting ready to open next to the MARC Station at Odenton. Much less traffic than on R.1 or 410. Would that be acceptable to you? Or Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang's none of which I believe are likely to open in RPS.

Ruth's Chris Steak House construction begins at Odenton Station - Capital Gazette
I love Ruth Chris, but I don't expect to see it here. Ruth Chris, PF Chang's, Cheesecake Factory....here's a list https://www.fsrmagazine.com/fsr50?page=18 and I don't expect any of them and more at RPS. There are national chains I wouldn't be surprised to see move in like Panara, Cosi, Starbucks, Caribou, Peets, Zoe's Kitchen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I agree. I think some non-food & drink retail would be interesting. In their mockups, they do have apparel stores. White House Black Market? Just kidding. But I think you just clicked on level 1 which only shows the bottom floor of building #4. Click on level 2 and you will see the entire top floor and part of the bottom floor is considered 4A. Which in total is big enough for a gym.

I did speak to one of the brokers and they are working on getting a gym there. I also asked them to snag an upscale gym. I mentioned a few of the caliber gyms I was looking for them to sign with. Sport & Health or Life Time Athletic. Both are upscale gyms with spa services and both do not have a presence in the county. All he said was that they are working on it.

I don't care for an LA Fitness, Planet Fitness, or any other low to mid-tier gym. I've been going to various gyms for the past 15 years. LA Fitness is a glorified Ballys. Planet Fitness is, well, Planet Fitness. I'd consider them bottom tier. What gyms are missing from the entire county that proliferate in the DC area? Washington Sports Clubs (WSC), Sport & Health, Life Time Athletics, Vida Fitness, and Equinox.

I noted in my email that there is no gym from deep into DC clear up to Laurel on RT. 1. Not one. A gym located on RT. 1 in that area of growth would nearly monopolize that whole corridor. LA Fitness in Hyattsville is crowded and getting old. Fitness Evolution in the mall is so-so and not nearly big enough for the services the more upscale gyms provide.

However, I do think we have some luck. LA Fitness is too close for a second one. Planet Fitness is just close enough I think not to need a second one so close. We'll see.
One Life Fitness, XSport Fitness, Mint, or a LA Fitness Signature Club.

I think they could also look at some of the boutique fitness like Soul Cycle, Flywheel, Zengo, Pure Barre, Yoga District

Quote:
Too close to a mall. If anything, they'd want to locate at The Mall at Prince George's. I think the kind of clothing retail RPS would get would be boutique stores like an in-line store in a mall. For example, Ann Taylor, Express, GNC, Under Armor, etc. Something that doesn't necessarily need to be in a mall, but can survive with occasional shoppers. And of course, it would have to be something not already at The Mall at Prince George's.

Nordstrom Rack would require a lot more foot traffic on a daily basis than I think you'll get at RPS. Especially if there is a mall just a mile down the road.

All is not lost on a possible Apple store or even an Amazon store. There are still big enough spaces left for those types of stores.
Apple store sounds about right, I think that was rumored even at one point with Founding Farmer. An Amazon store would be pretty cool I assume bc it's new to the area. Pacers would fit the mold.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:56 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post

I love Ruth Chris, but I don't expect to see it here. Ruth Chris, PF Chang's, Cheesecake Factory....here's a list https://www.fsrmagazine.com/fsr50?page=18 and I don't expect any of them and more at RPS. There are national chains I wouldn't be surprised to see move in like Panara, Cosi, Starbucks, Caribou, Peets, Zoe's Kitchen
That part of Rt. 1. isn't necessarily going to turn into restaurant row. There are already three upscale steak and seafood restaurants opening up in College Park alone. You have Burton's Grill in RPS. Adding two or three additional upscale restaurants would be overkill. I'd wait at least ten years before adding additional upscale restaurants.

I agree that RPS would be good for a Panera bread, Starbucks, and maybe a First Watch.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:24 AM

662 posts, read 784,073 times
It would be great if they had a local coffee shop---wait I think a local coffee shop is supposed to open in College Park but I haven't seen any movement on that.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
It would be great if they had a local coffee shop---wait I think a local coffee shop is supposed to open in College Park but I haven't seen any movement on that.
Nope. Like I said yesterday, a First Watch would be great. Excellent locally sourced breakfast place. There is one in Laurel Town Center. I went to one in NC for my first experience. Great food and prices.

The local coffee shop was supposed to be an extension of Plato's Diner. But I'm suspecting that perhaps there is some insurance issues because there is no movement to re-open Plato's and the Coffee House Wine Bar should have been complete by now or at least under construction.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
That part of Rt. 1. isn't necessarily going to turn into restaurant row. There are already three upscale steak and seafood restaurants opening up in College Park alone. You have Burton's Grill in RPS. Adding two or three additional upscale restaurants would be overkill. I'd wait at least ten years before adding additional upscale restaurants.

I agree that RPS would be good for a Panera bread, Starbucks, and maybe a First Watch.
I wasn't trying to imply that it would be restaurant row, I'm not expecting many upscale full-service restaurants. I do expect Route 1 will have all of the trendy fast casual dining options like &Pizza, Cava, Amsterdam, etc. within a year or two due to its proximity to the UMD and middle class families. Affordable meals. Many of them will want to be walking distance from UMD but some may want easier parking than Nando's, Sweet Green, or Bobby Burger Palace is offering.

Last edited by DoughLow805; 09-22-2016 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-12-2016, 12:48 PM

Well, they're adding Starbucks and Mod Pizza...not exactly what I was hoping for but I won't complain one bit....article also touches on known additions: District Taco, Burton's, Whole Foods, Habit, and Jersey Mikes.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...n-for-new.html

The Construction Update from this week also noted that outfitting Whole Foods began in July with a 9-10 month plan, so April-May we should be expecting an open. Also the Bridge is expected to deliver in April and the first batch of townhouses have been handed to the developer.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Well, they're adding Starbucks and Mod Pizza...not exactly what I was hoping for but I won't complain one bit....article also touches on known additions: District Taco, Burton's, Whole Foods, Habit, and Jersey Mikes.

The Construction Update from this week also noted that outfitting Whole Foods began in July with a 9-10 month plan, so April-May we should be expecting an open. Also the Bridge is expected to deliver in April and the first batch of townhouses have been handed to the developer.
I figured there would be a coffee shop. Good chance it would have been a Starbucks. Mod Pizza is not too bad. I've been to the one in downtown Silver Spring and I think their pizza tastes better than Blaze Pizza.

Having said that, RT. 1 is fast becoming the Starbucks, Pizza, and Asian food corridor. lol

I'm more interested in who will fill the larger spaces. I figured the smaller spaces would be mostly fast casual eateries. I'm specifically looking out for clothing stores. Maybe one of the first Amazon stores. That would be a nice compliment. There are still at least 9 large spaces still available or under negotiation.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:04 PM

662 posts, read 784,073 times
Quote:

Sigh another Pizza shop? I am happy about the Starbucks bc there are no starbucks on that part of town or Hyattsville or Riverdale Park. It will do well. Wish it were a cute homey coffee shop that made cute drinks but oh well.

Idk anything about Mod Pizza. I want them to get more sit down restaurants for families.

Can you paste the article please? I have reached my reading limit.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Can you paste the article please? I have reached my reading limit.
Open up an incognito window in your browser and look at the article in that window. They use cookies to track how many articles you read. Browsing incognito doesn't allow cookies, so you'll be able to read the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland