Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:37 PM

205 posts, read 174,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I recall at one of the planning meetings that the Fort Washington area's designation is no longer rural tier but is considered developing tier. That latter designation gives more flexibility to development in that area. As mentioned the rural tier designation severely limited what could be done in Ft Washington so for a long time it was hands off for anything but a bedroom community. Couple that with the major hit the area took during the housing bust as well as the Johnson administration and you have a recipe for mediocre growth.

I do think that is about to change though. You have the new police station off Ft. Washington Road. As a result of NH and MGM the owners of Livingston Square are prepping for a major overhaul of that space including a renovation of the Giant store during the last phase. A new development is being built across from the post office which will impact the shopping area at Swan Creek. They have also started the 210 project which should definitely be done in 20 years. Re-configuring that through-way will definitely help FTW since it runs right through it. Its going to take a while for the area to turn around. Above everything else the neighborhoods deeply impacted by the foreclosure mess have to stabilize with more homeowners and less renters. If a metro line is extended nearby expect the turn around to speed up. However, I think there is enough going on around it that the community will benefit long term. Its just going to take time.
Yes, patience is key. I do hope that the rural tier has been lifted. We are so close to DC. It makes sense that we would have the same amenities that an area like Bowie or Largo has. The demographics are somewhat similar. The closest Target is 25 minutes away. During rush hour that commute could easily be doubled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
Not sure what your shopping issues are given that you have Tanger Outlets, NH, and the MGM coming on line. Also, as mentioned you have the new police department and some upgrades coming to Livingston Square etc...

The area has two issues.

1) Schools - they are bad. As a result young families won't even consider the area unless they can afford private school. Who wants to pay $8K per kid per year to send them to private for 10+ years? Total up that cost and you might as well pay for a more expensive home in NOVA.

2) Foreclosures and vacant homes. Too many of both. On the positive the vacant homes are being snatched up for renovations very quickly because.....

The arrow is pointed up for FTW, but it is slow progress that would speed significantly with improvements to #1 and improved transportation.
I am happy with the development at NH. However, the NH community is so insulated, I'm not sure how their growth will positively affect surrounding areas. My fear is that they may find a way to annex it down the line as a separate entity from the surrounding areas as a marketing ploy causing more decay for Fort Washington.

The public school situation is ridiculous. I don't have children but I am surprised that with the stats on Fort Washington that parents don't get more involved with school staff to turn the situation around. I'm sure that it is a complex situation that only insiders can grasp. I attended Oxon Hill's science and technology program which was pretty good but the school itself was a horror story back in the nineties. General Ed students regularly set fires in trash cans, fought everyday and young adults from the surrounding areas were regularly on the campus causing problems. I can only imagine what it is like now.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I agree with the OP, one of the primary reasons we left Fort Washington is because there just weren't enough amenities and we were tired of driving to Waldorf or Alexandria for everything. Also the traffic and transit need serious help. I wouldn't necessarily blame Fort Washington schools either because there are other parts of PG that are pretty developed with mediocre schools.
I lived in Bowie for a brief time upon returning to MD and it was EXTREMELY convenient. Everything was either within walking distance or a short drive away. I don't understand why Fort Washington residents haven't fought for similar amenities such as a town center. I've been reading about the issues surrounding the area here on city-data and it appears that nothing has changed in almost ten years according to posts. I may end up just putting my house up for rent and moving to an area with the amenities I need until changes are put into effect. I can only hope that NH brings that needed change within the next decade. Did you move out of MD altogether or just to another county?

Old 04-18-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
The reason I moved here was affordability. That's it. I wanted a house and a garage and to not live over, under or have walls attached to someone else, and this made DC living bearable.

Fort Washington already has generous set asides in the state park and the USDA range. Nobody is going to come in and subdivide the already planned suburban areas. But let's be frank, there's nothing here of beauty to be preserved. It's a damn swamp with 1970s tract homes. Jesus. Why would anyone want to stay on the same course with decay, disinvestment and bad schools. The community needs more to be vibrant. We would be better suited at making sure developers include infrastructure designed to handle traffic than to fight development at all costs. And yes, it would be nice to see a good valuation on our homes when it's time to leave.
I agree. I have been looking online at other areas for the past few years and you literally have to either share a wall or live right on top of your neighbors for the same price point that you get in this area. I do love the proximity to the river and I think that Fort Washington park could be a great resource for cultural events. I think that this is one of the last frontiers as far as undeveloped land with waterfront access goes. Eventually, I agree that this area is destined to be developed given its proximity to DC. I just wonder if that will be decades from now. I wouldn't dare sell with the depressed market in this area right now. I assume that is why there are so many homeowners renting out.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:59 PM

377 posts, read 665,324 times
The area is full of long term residents who want the area to remain rural (by long term, i mean original residents from the 70's). NH is isolated partially due to popular opinion in the area...no one wants people parking in FTW and walking to NH to avoid parking fees.

While there are plenty of upper middle class families in FTW there are also quite a few Section 8. Schools remain an issue because those in the upper socio-economic tier send their kids to private school or have no kids.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:19 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
The area is full of long term residents who want the area to remain rural (by long term, i mean original residents from the 70's). NH is isolated partially due to popular opinion in the area...no one wants people parking in FTW and walking to NH to avoid parking fees.

While there are plenty of upper middle class families in FTW there are also quite a few Section 8. Schools remain an issue because those in the upper socio-economic tier send their kids to private school or have no kids.
That sums it up. Especially regarding the schools. I see a LOT of transportation buses from the private schools in FTW. So its not surprising that there is little involvement with the schools. Unfortunately and in general, the parents of the kids remaining in public schools don't participate or feel like they are fighting an uphill battle.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:55 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
I'm curious as to what people define as "good shopping"? There are grocery stores such as Giant and Tangier Outlets isn't bad at all. Everywhere can't be Tyson's Corner.

As for the schools that's merely a function of demography. You'd run into the same problem in Charles County and the rest of PG frankly.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:47 AM

469 posts, read 550,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm curious as to what people define as "good shopping"? There are grocery stores such as Giant and Tangier Outlets isn't bad at all. Everywhere can't be Tyson's Corner.

As for the schools that's merely a function of demography. You'd run into the same problem in Charles County and the rest of PG frankly.
What was the last sentence implying? Because both of Charles County majority black HS test better then PG " Gold Standard" Roosevelt. Let's not talk about Bmore county black HS.. Which blows PG ' away....using race as a excuse to justify PG schools is the problen

Old 04-20-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
I lived in Bowie for a brief time upon returning to MD and it was EXTREMELY convenient. Everything was either within walking distance or a short drive away. I don't understand why Fort Washington residents haven't fought for similar amenities such as a town center. I've been reading about the issues surrounding the area here on city-data and it appears that nothing has changed in almost ten years according to posts. I may end up just putting my house up for rent and moving to an area with the amenities I need until changes are put into effect. I can only hope that NH brings that needed change within the next decade. Did you move out of MD altogether or just to another county?

Yea the central county has good amenities and options. I live right between Woodmore Town Center and Bowie Town Center

Old 04-20-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
I am happy with the development at NH. However, the NH community is so insulated, I'm not sure how their growth will positively affect surrounding areas. My fear is that they may find a way to annex it down the line as a separate entity from the surrounding areas as a marketing ploy causing more decay for Fort Washington.

The public school situation is ridiculous. I don't have children but I am surprised that with the stats on Fort Washington that parents don't get more involved with school staff to turn the situation around. I'm sure that it is a complex situation that only insiders can grasp. I attended Oxon Hill's science and technology program which was pretty good but the school itself was a horror story back in the nineties. General Ed students regularly set fires in trash cans, fought everyday and young adults from the surrounding areas were regularly on the campus causing problems. I can only imagine what it is like now.

Oxon was rezoned now only has 1500 kids, 500 of them are in the magnet program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland