Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2020, 08:48 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times

Advertisements

Hi All- Native of Greater Boston/Chicagoland here. We just moved back to Chicagoland to be close to my MIL, but will likely only stay through the winter.

I work in cyber, and am considering an offer/role with a heavy focus on Fed bids. So, in the nearer term, I will be asked to live in the DC orbit. It would be advantageous for me to live within striking distance of DC, maybe ~30 miles out, but the daily commute won't be necessary. I'm guessing a few times a month, so I can extend the distance for the right community.

Because we are serial movers, we will likely look to rent before we purchase. As such, like many others on C-D, I'm looking for three or four town recommendations to hyper-focus on. Loose criteria/tid bits of information:

-Rental budget should be a none issue, ultimate budget for purchase will be max $1.2
-Looking for single family, 4 bedrooms, lots 10k sqft are perfect
-We prefer denser suburbs with some walkability
-We really like a town/village/city with a nice core or main street with shops, restaurants, a few local watering holes, some green space
-Preference is for older more established neighborhoods/homes if possible
-Tier 1/Tier 2 schools.. Doesn't need to be a Harvard plug, but would like the kids to go through a district where the vast majority of graduates aspire to 4-year schools
-Kids like athletics- baseball/hockey- so any inside detail about the town you recommend would be nice

I have always loved DC when traveling for work/pleasure. Great area to explore. That said, we have spent the majority of our time in DC itself or in Bethesda (family). Chevy Chase and Bethesda are obviously very nice, but a bit cost prohibitive, and I wouldn't mind being a bit further out. Don't really care to live in the same town as family, either.

I posted this in the Northern VA forum as well. Hoping to get down to one or two towns within MD and VA, and then feel them out. I could be way off, but both areas seem to offer relatively low property tax, so it doesn't seem like that will be much of a consideration.

Thank you for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 09:08 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Hi All- Native of Greater Boston...
I have always loved DC when ...
Hoping to get down to one or two towns within MD...
Counties and Neighborhoods (ie school districts) within those Counties. Not towns.

As flush as you imply yourselves to be... start with the private schools you can get your kids into. LINK
It shouldn't be too hard to spend $1.2M near any of them and probably to like what you can get too.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:47 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,569,516 times
Frederick and Westminster to the NW both have ye olde downtown core. Likewise Annapolis to the east. Annapolis the closest is about 30 mins to DC. Westminster maybe an hour (country roads). Three different school systems. At a guess, I say Annapolis has the best.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:55 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Reston Va.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:55 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Frederick and Westminster to the NW both have ye olde downtown core. Likewise Annapolis to the east. Annapolis the closest is about 30 mins to DC. Westminster maybe an hour (country roads). Three different school systems. At a guess, I say Annapolis has the best.
Don't guess. Annapolis schools are at the bottom for Anne Arundel County. Annapolis High School is somewhat saved by the AP/IB programs but the elementary and middle school feeders to it are less than optimal.

The Broadneck attendance cluster is considered the best one in Anne Arundel.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:46 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,690,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Reston Va.
Do you hate OP, or something?

Old 09-03-2020, 01:54 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,690,517 times
Takoma Park for MoCo. Ellicott City for HoCo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland