Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:30 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,037,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
I'm going to "q" as well. I didn't go to the grocery store, because of the possible outages. I'll live off my fridge until.

I went to Target for my essentials:
Mop
lipstick
face cream
cd
trailmix
toilet paper...I was on my last roll

Something happens you won't see a raggedy childfree on the news.
Y'all sound like my neighbor. This dude bbq all the time. I've seen this guy have his grill going during thunderstorms and even while it's like 50 degrees during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 10:32 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,037,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I agree. I'm actually from the region that should be worried (SE Virginia) and I think they are more level headed when preparing for hurricanes mainly due to experience.
Yeah its crazy down there because most of the land is either at or below sea level.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:31 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,732,609 times
But it's kinda expected there. The beaches of VA are more prone to cyclones or at the very least strong storms compared to DC.

I've been hearing comparisons to Isabel mostly, which wasn't awful except for power outages.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:25 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,726,365 times
Blah so far. Sitting here in SW waterfront area chillin. HBK can save his bag of charcoal for Labor Day it looks like.

Last edited by The Heartbreak Kid; 08-27-2011 at 07:57 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 07:48 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,732,609 times
I hear ya. Aren't you in an apartment building though? I'm in one too right now and I definitely prefer it over a single-family home at the moment. Especially since it's in DC proper... pretty sure we get our power underground so there's less of a chance that we lose it.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:54 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,128,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
Dear Hurricane Irene, I knew Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Katrina came through the hometown of mine, and you frankly my dear, are no Hurricane Katrina.
Well you would certainly know if you lived thru that one.
I remember that Hurricane and the news media was nothing compared to what is available now.

all I remember was listening all night about the reports on the radio

at any rate hope things work out for you EAST coasters, does not look like its going to be easy.

Just being without power for along time is bad alone let alone all the floods and other damage

Thoughts are with you, keep up the spirit
Been glued to TWC all day watching this event

Old 08-27-2011, 07:56 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,128,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thequestion77 View Post
This'll probably end up being a non-event. Then again, everyone flipped
out over a 5.8 quake...
Good point , they do this with the winter storms here - media hypes it all up.
At any rate its better to error on the safe side.

The quake was nothing but talk for the tv

Old 08-27-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I hear ya. Aren't you in an apartment building though? I'm in one too right now and I definitely prefer it over a single-family home at the moment. Especially since it's in DC proper... pretty sure we get our power underground so there's less of a chance that we lose it.
You are correct my friend.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 PM

585 posts, read 2,021,185 times
Can Pepco get some props for keeping the lights on? At least where I am (maybe none of their repair workers want to have to come down here), we've gotten a few flickers but not much else.

I feel sorry for everyone in PG County but am glad I don't live there anymore.

As of 1 AM Sunday morning, you can see how much better off we are in the District than PG County (first number is customers experiencing outages, second number is total customers served by Pepco in that area):

District of Columbia
18095 256418

Montgomery
19465 308086

Prince George's
89628 223720

I give Pepco credit for A) calling in reinforcements early (after screwing that up so bad last winter) and B) actually restoring people in this weather. They gave themselves an out in their pre-storm press releases but I watched 2000 customers in my area come back up while 10s of thousands more went down, so it was clear they were out there trying to work on it while they could.

Of course, as soon as I post this I'm sure our power will go out and we won't see it for a week.

I'm a hurricane virgin; grew up in tornado country, spent a decade in earthquake country. This is insane. And now really want some BBQ.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 AM

CF,
Want to combine our BBQ? I got excess coals right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC