Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 03:24 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,464,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
She may have a point in that they could have been diverting electricity to other parts of the grid, but that's about the only plausible explanation.
That wasn't her point. Her point was that the power companies were doing something devious and using Irene as a 'cover', which is conspiratarded, even by internet standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 07:24 PM

677 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
That wasn't her point. Her point was that the power companies were doing something devious and using Irene as a 'cover', which is conspiratarded, even by internet standards.
I see you have poor reading comprehension skills. No, that was not my point at all, I said they shut it off to save energy (especially since this was such a hot summer for the northeast & AC's were running 24/7) or some other misc. reasons. And btw, they do make money (cause they never lose) when the power is shut off, we pay their lineman's o.t. & any other charges they squeeze in due to being out of service. Everytime we lose power the following month our bills are much higher, is it coincidence or by design? You know so much so you tell me.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
I see you have poor reading comprehension skills. No, that was not my point at all, I said they shut it off to save energy (especially since this was such a hot summer for the northeast & AC's were running 24/7) or some other misc.
So when you dismissed the idea that the outages are weather related (as Delmarva and other DE utilities say), and indicated that utilities are intentionally cutting off power to their customers during a hurricane, and said they are doing so "under the cloak of Irene", you were NOT implying any deception on the part of the utilities...

I already mentioned that you think they intentionally cut off power to their customers to conserve energy (which I think is absurd) and I can't really comment on 'misc', so please enlighten me to which part of your statements I am not comprehending.

It didn't even break 80 in Delaware on Saturday. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there weren't capacity issues in Delaware.

Quote:
And btw, they do make money (cause they never lose) when the power is shut off, we pay their lineman's o.t. & any other charges they squeeze in due to being out of service.
While a utility's negotiated base rate typically provides them with a rate of return on anything from maintenance to renovating the CEO's office, that doesn't change the fact that by shutting off power to customers they lose all of that volumetric utilization revenue. Without a true decoupled rate (and Delaware does not have one yet, despite Sen. Carper's and others' efforts), there is no utility CEO that will say 'lets turn power off intentionally on our customers', for almost any reason beyond capacity issues or planned maintenance.

Quote:
Everytime we lose power the following month our bills are much higher, is it coincidence or by design? You know so much so you tell me.
Yes, it's a conspiracy...

Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 AM

677 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
So when you dismissed the idea that the outages are weather related (as Delmarva and other DE utilities say), and indicated that utilities are intentionally cutting off power to their customers during a hurricane, and said they are doing so "under the cloak of Irene", you were NOT implying any deception on the part of the utilities...

I already mentioned that you think they intentionally cut off power to their customers to conserve energy (which I think is absurd) and I can't really comment on 'misc', so please enlighten me to which part of your statements I am not comprehending.

It didn't even break 80 in Delaware on Saturday. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there weren't capacity issues in Delaware.

While a utility's negotiated base rate typically provides them with a rate of return on anything from maintenance to renovating the CEO's office, that doesn't change the fact that by shutting off power to customers they lose all of that volumetric utilization revenue. Without a true decoupled rate (and Delaware does not have one yet, despite Sen. Carper's and others' efforts), there is no utility CEO that will say 'lets turn power off intentionally on our customers', for almost any reason beyond capacity issues or planned maintenance.

Yes, it's a conspiracy...
Unless you are a CEO of a utility company then there's no way to know exactly what their motives are, so you & I could sit here & speculate all day going back & forth yet never truly knowing their goals. However this much I do know, that bogus hurricane that came thru DE was lightweight, & had no where near the strength to shut down the power. Hell, we have much bigger & grander wind storms w/o rain in the winter here, check back with me in Jan & I'll inform you then. Whether their motives were legit or not that storm didn't have enough strength to lose power, so this is how I know it was planned. Now were there some isolated area's that lost power due to the storm, of course, such as the shore area's, but inland, no. I can make the comparrisons because I've been here for 13 yrs, & through out the winters we have the most ferocious winds that blow tiles off of roofs & tear vinyl sidings off of homes, knock down trees, but guess what, we still have power. Funny how on Sun the news reported there were 1.5 million homes w/o power, & today only 500 thousand remain w/o power. So do you mean to tell me that they have enough lineman work crews to restore power to 1 million people overnight, or did they throw the switch back on? Things that make you say hmnn....

Now you can continue to psycho analyse their logic all you want, but as far as I'm concerned there are things that add up & then there are things that don't. End of conversation.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Unless you are a CEO of a utility company then there's no way to know exactly what their motives are, so you & I could sit here & speculate all day going back & forth yet never truly knowing their goals.
No you don't. Their motives are to provide a return for their shareholders. I represented a smart grid company for five years. The company was mostly comprised of ex utility execs, and our customers were all utilities. Smart grid significantly decreases the duration and number of power outages to customers (more kWh billed) and increases a utility's distribution grid management (energy conservation): one makes the utility money, the other loses the utility money. I also worked on the rate decoupling effort in DE specifically.

Quote:
I can make the comparrisons because I've been here for 13 yrs, & through out the winters we have the most ferocious winds that blow tiles off of roofs & tear vinyl sidings off of homes, knock down trees, but guess what, we still have power.
And I lived right across the Delaware border in PA for 18 years, and my parents still do, and lost power on Saturday. Delaware isn't exactly across the world from DC in the first place - we have similar weather.

Quote:
However this much I do know, that bogus hurricane that came thru DE was lightweight, & had no where near the strength to shut down the power.
Delaware:

Quote:
Now you can continue to psycho analyse their logic all you want, but as far as I'm concerned there are things that add up & then there are things that don't.
I'll leave conspiracies and psychoanalysis to you in a world where storms do not down trees and utilities don't want to sell electricity to their customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC