Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:20 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,412 times

Advertisements

As a current resident of Philly and being from PG county, I give DC a million hands above Philly.

I actually hate it and can not wait to graduate and move back to PG, but that is my experience.

I live directly on Broad St. in N. Philly and my roomates and I are quite tired of being there.

Septa as everyone has said is unkept and unreliable. Why would the train station closest to my apartment close at 9 pm except for Saturdays? and then not open until 8 in the morning?

I generally do not feel safe when I am walking home at night from school, but I do live in N. Philly.

The people are better here in DC/PG. Most people are rude, very rude. I ride public transportaition and I work in retail...I've seen the worst attitudes by far in my 4 years in Philly than my whole life in DC/PG.

I do like Old City and Chestnut Hill areas and shopping in Philly is the best thing that came out of me moving there besides my education, which is top notch by the way! TU!

The rent is cheap up there too, another plus.

A lot of complaints about Philly is that they have a lot of empty lots and the people just look depressed and gloomy...I recently told a friend that if was a hell on earth that Philly would be it, and once I graduate I plan on never returning until I can forget the crazy memories.

P.S. someone broke into our apt and stole my best friends car keys from the living room, then stole her car only for the frame to be found!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:51 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
As a current resident of Philly and being from PG county, I give DC a million hands above Philly.
I'm trying to discount your experience (it's a shame that it's been so bad), but it's one thing to keep in mind that North Philly is one of the worst/most dangerous areas of Philadelphia.

Regarding attitude, I've found some of the nicest, friendliest people up in Philly. But, then again, I grew up there. It really depends on who/how you meet, and you have to keep in mind the general "no b***s****" attitude. There are great people in DC too. The biggest problem I've had in DC is adjusting to the whole degree/school/job snob thing. I'm just not used to the question "where'd you go to school" carrying so much weight (I've had people literally go "oh" and walk away).

Old 12-22-2008, 12:02 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,187 times
You live in North Philly. It would be like someone posting that DC is the worst city in the country because that person lives in Anacostia.

If you lived in a better area of town, the perception might be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post

I actually hate it and can not wait to graduate and move back to PG, but that is my experience.

I live directly on Broad St. in N. Philly and my roomates and I are quite tired of being there.

Septa as everyone has said is unkept and unreliable. Why would the train station closest to my apartment close at 9 pm except for Saturdays? and then not open until 8 in the morning?

I generally do not feel safe when I am walking home at night from school, but I do live in N. Philly.

The people are better here in DC/PG. Most people are rude, very rude. I ride public transportaition and I work in retail...I've seen the worst attitudes by far in my 4 years in Philly than my whole life in DC/PG.

I do like Old City and Chestnut Hill areas and shopping in Philly is the best thing that came out of me moving there besides my education, which is top notch by the way! TU!

The rent is cheap up there too, another plus.

A lot of complaints about Philly is that they have a lot of empty lots and the people just look depressed and gloomy...I recently told a friend that if was a hell on earth that Philly would be it, and once I graduate I plan on never returning until I can forget the crazy memories.

P.S. someone broke into our apt and stole my best friends car keys from the living room, then stole her car only for the frame to be found!

Old 12-22-2008, 12:14 PM

470 posts, read 2,096,069 times
Yeah, I went to TU and I lived in Temple Towers and Johnson/Hardwick, and while I did get mugged slightly off campus, the actual Temple campus is lit up like a football stadium at night, has a real philly police precinct instead of campus police, and is the safest urban campus on the east coast.

As the above poster mentioned, you wouldn't "feel safe" walking home from the anacostia metro, which is more or less the DC equivalent of the Cecil B. stop.

But yeah, as much as people complain about Metro, SEPTA is just downright pitiful, I'm with you on that.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:50 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,412 times
Yea I guess you guys are right but I have very few friends that like living in Philly or will remain in Philly once they graduate.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,090 times
Some good info in this thread. I was born and raised in North Philly (olney/feltonville) and am considering accepting a job offer in DC. The job is at 12th and K st. downtown.

So let me get this straight, what you guys are saying is that I will basically be paying about 4x more in rent(currently $400), but can expect the same level of rudeness/crime/danger feeling? And on top of that, worse traffic? That definitely sucks a big one.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:52 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
^
No. I think it'll be better.

Philly has a very rough feel about it in general - even Philly's center city feels really cramped, depressed, and grimy. DC only in areas that you'll rarely if ever go to. 12th and K is not one of those areas.

The bad DC traffic reputation comes from the suburbs / Beltway. Live in or near the city, ride the Metro. No problem. Traffic in DC itself is not really bad at all.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:55 PM

381 posts, read 814,287 times
Sometimes, I think Philly has this inferiority complex towards NY which any city would but Philly has the misfortune of being very close to it which tends plays a role in the roughness of its populace.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:08 PM

5 posts, read 16,772 times
with both cities i think its the particular area you are in as far as dc goes ne and se are not to be hanging around you dont take your kids out on a family walk around there but its still not that bad. philly on the other hand(and this is only what family has told me) is generally like dc as far as how its bad in certain areas(n philly w philly) but other places are a little more cooled down but if you wanna compare the 2 by crime....philly is worst i think. dc did have its "murder city" nickname in the 80s and a couple years following but that has died down a little

Old 12-26-2008, 09:55 PM

291 posts, read 674,689 times
I grew up in NYC. Lived in DC for about over 10 years. Mostly lived in Bethesda and Rockville for most of those years, except for college. Had friends in Philly and visited often. One friend lived near the Whole Foods and Vespa store - this was 3 or 4 years ago. I loved Philly way more than DC. I didn't feel unsafe in either place. Philly gave me more of a NYC feel than DC and I loved that it was closer to NYC than DC is.

I'd take the restaurants and shopping in Philly over DC any day. Just has more of an urban feel to me. Much more of an artsy vibe which I like. 10 to 12 years ago when I was trying to decide whether to apply to grad school in Philly or NYC, everyone told me not to go to Philly. I was living in DC at the time. From my understanding, Philly has changed a great deal since then. Of course, everyone also told me not to go to undergrad in DC b/c it was the murder capital of the US. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC