Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:38 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,625,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Isn't everywhere a prostitution-free zone? Designating an area as such is like designating something a "murder-free zone."

Anyway if you want rowdy white teenagers go to Bethesda on a Friday night, the ****ty Regal cinema is packed with them. One of the reasons I don't always buy the "it's b/c they come from poor families" excuse... Bethesda's one of the richest parts of one of the richest counties in the US. People need to learn how to raise their ****ing kids is all.

Don't worry, you are allowed knock white kids all you want without being called racist but if I were to say rowdy black kids 14thandyou and Bluefly would run for the hills...

Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Wow, there are still tranny hookers there? Does Safeway ever put them on sale?

BTW, that DCist article doesn't exactly support your point. All it discusses is an anti-prostitution sign placed at 5th and I last year by the MPD. And...?
Why would MPD put up an anti-prostitution sign if there weren't a prostitution problem? Do you see these signs in Georgetown? No bc they don't have a prostitution problem.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
why do I never hear about wild hispanic or asian teenagers in DC?
Theres plenty of rowdy Hispanic kids in the burbs. Even as a hispanic myself, I can identify the problem. Does that make me racist? If this thread was about that, then I would chime in. But it's not.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
No one's being politically correct here. Please stop hiding behind that easy out. Obviously there's major crime problems in several black communities throughout DC and, just like Times Square in New York, petty crime's going to increase in a place that becomes the gathering point of a major city. I figured Chinatown would have trumped Dupont by now, but only because it's become such a destination.

The bottom line is that what you all are complaining about is nothing more than teenagers. In a society that doesn't provide any places for them to gather, they gather in public spaces that are "happening". Wealthy white communities have the same gripes you all are making - teenagers hanging out in restaurants or stores without buying, blocking entrances, "intimidating" potential customers simply for being there. Some kid cracks a joke and suddenly scared old people yell "harassment".

My point is that there is nothing "hood rat" about what's going on there. It's simply teenagers in those lost years between being children attached to their parents / guardians and adults with businesses to serve their socializing desires.

The poster in question has backed off his original accusations and is now trying to cast his initial assertions as "equal opportunistic", when they were anything but. Such assertions against teenagers just being teenagers by grown adults throwing a socio-economic layer on and calling them "hood rats" needs to be called out every time. That has been done. Moving on now.
So you think kids stealing strangers iphones, harrassing people minding their own business, and at times mugging people in the middle of the night as "teens just being teens"? What kinda world do you live in??? This behavior is not ok. Would you want your gramps being shoved around by these kids?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:59 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,706,902 times
i really don't get why it's so hard for people to just raise their kids properly

Old 05-14-2010, 11:54 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,462,876 times
Quote:
i really don't get why it's so hard for people to just raise their kids properly
Agree.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:06 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,720,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
So you think kids stealing strangers iphones, harrassing people minding their own business, and at times mugging people in the middle of the night as "teens just being teens"? What kinda world do you live in??? This behavior is not ok. Would you want your gramps being shoved around by these kids?
It's intriguing how you move your argument around just to not have to admit that you've been proven wrong.

You asserted that areas that attract tourists inherently attract crime and "hoodlums". I proved you wrong by citing the National Mall as a place free of "hoodlum" activity yet filled with tourists.

You asserted that Chinatown is dangerous because "hood rat kids" hang out there and allegedly (you have yet to provide any evidence for your claim) harass people.

To prove this claim wrong, I simply pointed out that the same charges are made against teenagers in wealthy white communities. I never defended any behavior. I simply pointed out that the behavior is not socioeconomic or race base, as was the entire basis of your argument.

Funny - I spent all evening and night moving from place to place in the Chinatown area. I paid attention, too. Never saw any hood rat kids (whatever they are) or hoodlums. Never saw anyone get harassed or bothered in any way. Never saw anyone hurrying by out of fear. I did pass a group of teenagers sitting around.

So, let's just leave it at that. You've hijacked this thread enough. The OP's question of whether more blacks than asians hang out there has been answered affirmatively.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's intriguing how you move your argument around just to not have to admit that you've been proven wrong.

You asserted that areas that attract tourists inherently attract crime and "hoodlums". I proved you wrong by citing the National Mall as a place free of "hoodlum" activity yet filled with tourists.

You asserted that Chinatown is dangerous because "hood rat kids" hang out there and allegedly (you have yet to provide any evidence for your claim) harass people.

To prove this claim wrong, I simply pointed out that the same charges are made against teenagers in wealthy white communities. I never defended any behavior. I simply pointed out that the behavior is not socioeconomic or race base, as was the entire basis of your argument.

Funny - I spent all evening and night moving from place to place in the Chinatown area. I paid attention, too. Never saw any hood rat kids (whatever they are) or hoodlums. Never saw anyone get harassed or bothered in any way. Never saw anyone hurrying by out of fear. I did pass a group of teenagers sitting around.

So, let's just leave it at that. You've hijacked this thread enough. The OP's question of whether more blacks than asians hang out there has been answered affirmatively.
I love how you always like to say you proven me wrong when you actually haven't proven a thing. I linked an article to a man getting beat down outside the Chinatown metro which you ignored. Is that not severe enough for you??? I provided you with crime stats which show Chinatown has a higher crime rate than Dupont, which you still seem to discredit. Like I said theres no winning with you. Any links I provided you discredit, yet you expect me to just swallow whatever information you give me. I'm starting to think your just ****ing with me.

And the reason why The National Mall doesn't attract hoodlums is because it's filled with momuments,memorials, and galleries, not exactly things hoodlums find entertaining. Chinatown however is a different beast. So no you haven't proven anything except to say hoodlums aren't interested in the finer things in life.

And it wasn't you but Bluefly who was dismissing these hoodlums behavior as "kids being kids".

Last edited by jmusmc85; 05-15-2010 at 11:09 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 11:05 AM

And heres a few well known example of crimes in Chinatown, and hey whatya know??? Chinatown Metro has one of DC's highest crime rates!!!

Transit on Friday: Guard Your Valuables Edition - DCist

Remember that Senators daughter who was car jacked near the Verizon Center? Oh I'm sure they were "good kids" who "neva dun nuthin wrung"

Sen. Corker's Daughter Carjacked Near Verizon Center - DCist

And what morning would be complete without a stabbing and a cup of coffee??

A.M. Crime Blotter - DCist

I'm not saying that the rest of DC doesn't have their own problems, but you keep insisting somehow Chinatown is just as safe as other parts of the city. Feel free to ignore them like I'm sure you will.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:04 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,571,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Why would MPD put up an anti-prostitution sign if there weren't a prostitution problem?
I dunno. Why are there "Drug Free Zone" signs in Cleveland Park? For all of the weed dealing between the Birckenstock-wearing yuppies there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC