Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative1990 View Post
That would lead to communism. I'd say we look at Canada, since cities up there seem to have low crime.
They also have low gun ownership rates.

So strike that one too, I guess.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Actually there are a few people on here that have already said they don't feel too comfortable being there
Well, if this isn't an open-and-shut case, I don't know what is. A couple of people on an Internet message board feel uncomfortable? The area must be infested with "hood rats"!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:56 AM

331 posts, read 1,198,315 times
Quote:
Actually there are a few people on here that have already said they don't feel too comfortable being there for those very reasons.And yes I have seen many times punk kids harrassing people and a few friends have reported snatch and grabs in yes...Chinatown. I have never been a victim of a crime there because A) I don't go there everyday B) When I do, Im aware of my surroundings and carry my phone out for all to see. Also where is the National Mall coming into this? Did I ever even bring that area up? And you can't tell me you havent noticed the Metro entrances crowded with loud kids.Seriously? Heres a nice article on the area. And yes I know crime happenings everywhere, thats not the point of this thread tho.

why.i.hate.dc: Reader report of brutal beating in Chinatown

Read the comments and you will know I'm not alone in my views.
"I'm an equal opportunist when it comes to thugs. I don't care what race they are, they are stains on the community and need to get stamped out."
I am really feeling your posts and completely understand what you are trying to say. Forget being pc cause I'm gon call it like I see it. My young black brothers and sisters are messing it up for the rest of us. I was offended when I was at Gallery Place a year ago and couldn't even order a burger to go at the Ruby Tuesdays. I was told that they don't do carryout at that location. Matter of fact, I couldn't even stand in the waiting area to call my daughter on my cell phone. The hostess kept trying to seat me. Then the police officer in front of the restaurant yelled at a group of teens who were about to enter that if they go in they should sit down and order food or not go in at all!!

I stood outside and asked him what was that all about and he was nice enough to explain to me that the restaurants have problems with teens coming in standing around and not purchasing anything. As I am talking to him I see different groups of a dozen or more black teens, loud and walking. Shiiiiid, I'm street smart and even I was afraid.

I remember when downtown was "downtown". (Yall don't know what I'm talking bout.) I told my daughter I remember when we had Hecht's, Woodward & Lothrop, Garfinkel's and many other fine stores. Being a child and going downtown to shop really meant something. I am very sad for this generation.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:28 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedWell View Post
I am really feeling your posts and completely understand what you are trying to say. Forget being pc cause I'm gon call it like I see it. My young black brothers and sisters are messing it up for the rest of us. I was offended when I was at Gallery Place a year ago and couldn't even order a burger to go at the Ruby Tuesdays. I was told that they don't do carryout at that location. Matter of fact, I couldn't even stand in the waiting area to call my daughter on my cell phone. The hostess kept trying to seat me. Then the police officer in front of the restaurant yelled at a group of teens who were about to enter that if they go in they should sit down and order food or not go in at all!!

I stood outside and asked him what was that all about and he was nice enough to explain to me that the restaurants have problems with teens coming in standing around and not purchasing anything. As I am talking to him I see different groups of a dozen or more black teens, loud and walking. Shiiiiid, I'm street smart and even I was afraid.

I remember when downtown was "downtown". (Yall don't know what I'm talking bout.) I told my daughter I remember when we had Hecht's, Woodward & Lothrop, Garfinkel's and many other fine stores. Being a child and going downtown to shop really meant something. I am very sad for this generation.
No one's being politically correct here. Please stop hiding behind that easy out. Obviously there's major crime problems in several black communities throughout DC and, just like Times Square in New York, petty crime's going to increase in a place that becomes the gathering point of a major city. I figured Chinatown would have trumped Dupont by now, but only because it's become such a destination.

The bottom line is that what you all are complaining about is nothing more than teenagers. In a society that doesn't provide any places for them to gather, they gather in public spaces that are "happening". Wealthy white communities have the same gripes you all are making - teenagers hanging out in restaurants or stores without buying, blocking entrances, "intimidating" potential customers simply for being there. Some kid cracks a joke and suddenly scared old people yell "harassment".

My point is that there is nothing "hood rat" about what's going on there. It's simply teenagers in those lost years between being children attached to their parents / guardians and adults with businesses to serve their socializing desires.

The poster in question has backed off his original accusations and is now trying to cast his initial assertions as "equal opportunistic", when they were anything but. Such assertions against teenagers just being teenagers by grown adults throwing a socio-economic layer on and calling them "hood rats" needs to be called out every time. That has been done. Moving on now.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 AM

331 posts, read 1,198,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
No one's being politically correct here. Please stop hiding behind that easy out. Obviously there's major crime problems in several black communities throughout DC and, just like Times Square in New York, petty crime's going to increase in a place that becomes the gathering point of a major city. I figured Chinatown would have trumped Dupont by now, but only because it's become such a destination.

The bottom line is that what you all are complaining about is nothing more than teenagers. In a society that doesn't provide any places for them to gather, they gather in public spaces that are "happening". Wealthy white communities have the same gripes you all are making - teenagers hanging out in restaurants or stores without buying, blocking entrances, "intimidating" potential customers simply for being there. Some kid cracks a joke and suddenly scared old people yell "harassment".

My point is that there is nothing "hood rat" about what's going on there. It's simply teenagers in those lost years between being children attached to their parents / guardians and adults with businesses to serve their socializing desires.

The poster in question has backed off his original accusations and is now trying to cast his initial assertions as "equal opportunistic", when they were anything but. Such assertions against teenagers just being teenagers by grown adults throwing a socio-economic layer on and calling them "hood rats" needs to be called out every time. That has been done. Moving on now.
What?? A "hood rat" is a hood rat. I live in a hood and really never lived anywhere but. I know what I'm talking about. You think kids cracking jokes at old people minding their own business is not harassment? That's ok with you? Whatever? Yeah, you should move on.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:06 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
places for them to gather? how about one of your friends' houses?

also when i was a teenager I admit I did and said stupid things, but my friends and I still behaved civilly in public.

edit: Yes technically I'm still a teenager, but I'm talking about late middle school and high school teens.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:38 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well, if this isn't an open-and-shut case, I don't know what is. A couple of people on an Internet message board feel uncomfortable? The area must be infested with "hood rats"!
Well in that case I can say since you have never seen any rowdy teens harrassing people that the area is crime free ? Wasn't that your logic before?

Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Well in that case I can say since you have never seen any rowdy teens harrassing people that the area is crime free ? Wasn't that your logic before?
No, not even close.

In much the same way you wrongly attempted to portray me as stating that Chinatown/PQ wasn't "noisy" or "rowdy", I also never said it was crime free. It has crime, like any bustling urban neighborhood does. Georgetown, Dupont, Logan, Capitol Hill...they all have crime.

What I *did* say was

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandyou
I've worked there and have been entering and exiting that station daily for nearly three years at all hours, and I've never had anything remotely approaching a problem with anyone there.
Feel free to provide my quotes where I stated it was a "crime free" neighborhood. For some reason, I can't locate them.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
No, not even close.

In much the same way you wrongly attempted to portray me as stating that Chinatown/PQ wasn't "noisy" or "rowdy", I also never said it was crime free. It has crime, like any bustling urban neighborhood does. Georgetown, Dupont, Logan, Capitol Hill...they all have crime.

What I *did* say was

Feel free to provide my quotes where I stated it was a "crime free" neighborhood. For some reason, I can't locate them.
But theres no winning with you. You can ignore my anecdotal evidence but I'm just expected to take your anecdotal evidence as truth?

Old 05-14-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
No, not even close.

What I *did* say was

And when did I ever suggest that Dupont,Georgetown etc were crime free? I know they have there share fair of crime. But we aren't talking about those neighborhoods. We are talking about Chinatown. And you can't deny the fact that Chinatown has a higher crime rate that those neighborhoods. I posted a link that compares the crime stats of Chinatown. Ignore it if you want ( like you always do) and my anecdotal evidence also seems to jive with the stats of the crime rates that I posted before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC