Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 02:05 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocal1 View Post
We are moving to WA. We wanted to head to Bellingham but because of our job situation, we will be in the Seattle area.
We travelled to Olympia National Park from Dublin Ca. with our 3 boys and we were really impressed.
We are country dwellers and we are hoping that some of you might know of an area within 30-45 minutes outside of Seattle that would be considered out in the sticks by most city dwellers, around 3 acres with a 2000√' house, barn/shop etc. and quiet. We thought about the tri-cities area but what about Everett or Mt Vernon? Squammish(sp?)?
This is the 3rd time we have moved across country as we are in SW. Florida now. It is way too hot and has far too many bugs here. (to name a small portion of dislikes) It's sunny and beautiful but it is too dang hot! So can any of you recommend an area outside of Seattle that you consider peaceful, quiet, out of the way and conducive to chickens, horses, goats and a nice garden. That is what we are looking for in one of the most beautiful states in the country. I guess what I am asking is what is the best areas outside of Seattle to have a small self sustaining farm and won't eat us alive in property taxes? 8)

(If the OP is not cool with this post in this thread, moderator please remove and place in appropriate section and please accept my apologies)
In almost the exact same boat, except leaving from Colorado. I see lots of properties on the Eastern side of the Metro area that appear to meet your conditions. I'm focused on the area of Monroe/Duval/Carnation. I will start in our RV until the rest of family can join me. I start my drive one week from today!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 PM

43 posts, read 76,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
too white.
too expensive.
no sun.
people are unfriendly-ish.
everyone has a college degree=education doesn't mean much.

still, like it here a lot.
What if someone in southern California said its 'too Mexican'.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:42 PM

43 posts, read 76,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIWISH View Post
- Major city in the state
- Unparalleled beauty
- Not too overcrowded but not desolate
- Pacific Ocean AND Puget Sound
- Borders Canada giving WA residents the option of a weekend trip up to world-class Vancouver
- Live-and-let-live attitude
- Mild climate compared to to some other areas of the US.
- Tons of outdoor activities
- Even reasonable cost of living in most of the state

Any MORE reasons?
I agree with most of what you said but the 'live and let live' piece is questionable. I'm not saying you're wrong but WA is clearly a blue state... those tend to have more laws, have more regulations on businesses etc

Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrains View Post
I agree with most of what you said but the 'live and let live' piece is questionable. I'm not saying you're wrong but WA is clearly a blue state... those tend to have more laws, have more regulations on businesses etc
Badbrains,

Are you from Washington? As to the "live and let live attitude", as a lifelong Washingtonian - this does indeed seem to be the prevailing attitude and I believe that's a fairly general consensus. I personally have not noticed much difference in this attitude in people between differing political affiliations, nor have I noticed a real difference in this attitude across different regions of the state, whereas clearly the "outlook" on life differs drastically among different regions.

As far as Washington being "clearly" a blue state - if you are talking about state government in recent years, then I agree with you. If you are talking about the political leanings of the majority of the population, then WA might be arguably a blue state, but it certainly isn't by a wide margin. If you are talking about the political ideals of the majority of the state by region/by geographic area, then it's not even close.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 AM

419 posts, read 656,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Horrible traffic..Seattle and burbs. Freeways are outdated by 20+ years. Many are in need of repaving, re-striping with no reflective markers.(great in the rain, fog, and long dark hours in the winter). Schools and shopping facilities not kept up with population growth. Reasonable cost of living...not...(buy a 30 yr old cracker jack house in the burbs for 600K)! Live and left live attitude.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Badbrains,

Are you from Washington? As to the "live and let live attitude", as a lifelong Washingtonian - this does indeed seem to be the prevailing attitude and I believe that's a fairly general consensus. I personally have not noticed much difference in this attitude in people between differing political affiliations, nor have I noticed a real difference in this attitude across different regions of the state, whereas clearly the "outlook" on life differs drastically among different regions.

As far as Washington being "clearly" a blue state - if you are talking about state government in recent years, then I agree with you. If you are talking about the political leanings of the majority of the population, then WA might be arguably a blue state, but it certainly isn't by a wide margin. If you are talking about the political ideals of the majority of the state by region/by geographic area, then it's not even close.

Here is a picture of the 2012 elections by proportion, by county. See Washington state? Elections are determined by voters, not empty square miles. Election maps

Old 04-20-2013, 07:13 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

Here is a picture of the 2012 elections by proportion, by county. See Washington state? Elections are determined by voters, not empty square miles. Election maps
As I said, the political leanings of Washington state may be blue, but only by a very slim margin. That map doesn't dispute that - I still see plenty of red over on my side of the state.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
too white.
Since when is this considered a bad thing, seriously? I am a mixed race guy myself, but let's be honest with ourselves for a second, predominately white neighborhoods are generally safer and more attractive than those which are not, no? When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in a "non-white" neighborhood (in another state) and EVERY SINGLE RESIDENT dreamed of moving up in the world into a "whiter" area for the better schools, safety, among other things.

I don't want to get banned for saying this, but it's a reality. Washington, for all of its faults, is a pretty damn safe place (with a few exceptions) to be. To say its "whiteness" is a mark against it is pretty moronic.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:00 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Since when is this considered a bad thing, seriously? I am a mixed race guy myself, but let's be honest with ourselves for a second, predominately white neighborhoods are generally safer and more attractive than those which are not, no? When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in a "non-white" neighborhood (in another state) and EVERY SINGLE RESIDENT dreamed of moving up in the world into a "whiter" area for the better schools, safety, among other things.

I don't want to get banned for saying this, but it's a reality. Washington, for all of its faults, is a pretty damn safe place (with a few exceptions) to be. To say its "whiteness" is a mark against it is pretty moronic.
Its very trendy now to look for racial diversity and it is what most people are looking for. If that's the one thing they want, they're limited to one area in the state: The Seattle metro. And even then, Seattle itself is considered a pretty white city with 70% of the population being white. Some people just like their city with lots of flavor.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
and this is why my WA property taxes went from $800/ yr to $14,400/yr. NOT ez on a retired person (no more raises / jobs) who didnt plan on THAT. Healthcare did nearly IDENTICAL; $80/month to $1,700/month. (for catastrophic ONLY, which will no longer be available option with Obamacare.)

so... as I leave the 3rd farm I created and had to leave due to property tax escalation... I need to find a retirement spot overseas. WE are no longer able to afford to live in USA. BTW, it takes MANY yrs to make a farm (Barns, fences, soils, orchards...). It will all be for not, as were the last 2 farms. (Too expensive to keep in farm / ranchland, MUST sell to a developer to GROW more houses. Can't pay $15k in property taxes by growing cows, eggs, and apples / berries. BUT now I'm in a FEDERALLY PROTECTED Area (no development / extra houses allowed), VERY hard to find a buyer who can pay 3x mortgage amount in TAXES. (We don't make Seattle Wages down here in the CGNSA) Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area - Home The OREGON gestapo (Friends of the Gorge) watch us EVERYDAY via binoculars, just to be sure we don't paint, or roof our house, add a window, or build a woodshed.
I think ever since I joined city-data you've been complaining about your property tax situation, and yes, it sounds extremely unfortunate. However, I believe it's quite unusual and a rather specious argument against anyone else living here who is considering doing so. My property taxes are $2500 a year, almost 1/3 of what I paid on my slightly larger house in another state before I moved here, and I pay no state income tax as I did there. I consider both of those to be points very strongly in favor of Washington, and so do most of my friends who live here and in the Camas area.

Also, I have catastrophic insurance (family plan) with a $3000 deductible for each member for a little more than $200 a month. If you're paying $1700, you need to look around.

I think you can afford to live in the US, you just need to make some financial adjustments instead of playing the passive victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington