Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 21,502 times

Advertisements

I live in the Wenatchee Valley, and have gotten several unsolicited mailers recently from realtors asking if we are planning to sell our home anytime soon, because the Wenatchee housing inventory is so low. There is pretty much nowhere available to rent in town. Apparently, decent properties listed under $425k are selling in a matter of days in Wenatchee. The crazy sellers' market in the Seattle area must be having some trickle over effects in Wenatchee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 07:43 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,488,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hushhush View Post
I live in the Wenatchee Valley, and have gotten several unsolicited mailers recently from realtors asking if we are planning to sell our home anytime soon, because the Wenatchee housing inventory is so low. There is pretty much nowhere available to rent in town. Apparently, decent properties listed under $425k are selling in a matter of days in Wenatchee. The crazy sellers' market in the Seattle area must be having some trickle over effects in Wenatchee.
As Bellingham residents, we are also receiving mailers from Realtors to sell our house due to interested buyers. Then they add that they have just the perfect property for us to build our dream home on. Sorry, but we have been happy here for over 30 years. And, since we are retired couldn't afford it anyway. I am about ready to call them to cease and desist and also adding them to our do not hire list.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:12 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
What is crazy in the market is the price of old homes vs new. You can get a 3 bed/2.5 bath/1700 sqft new construction for $250k in a very nice subdivision on the desirable east side of Vancouver. Or you can find a 3 bed/2 bath/1000 sqft home in a run down part of town for $240k...and it would need $20k to fix up because sellers aren't bothering to do that before listing in this market. It would have multiple above asking bids on it within a week. Even with similar lot sizes too.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
But.... Who could stand to live in a newer subdivision? I cringe at the thought of looking out my kitchen window to watch my neighbor washing dishes. + landscape, fencing, window coverings, sprinkler systems, mud... New house is often not so fun either.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:56 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Does the new subdivision come with CC&R that dictate everything that happens?

Old 06-27-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
But.... Who could stand to live in a newer subdivision? I cringe at the thought of looking out my kitchen window to watch my neighbor washing dishes. + landscape, fencing, window coverings, sprinkler systems, mud... New house is often not so fun either.
Yeah but in our price range getting substantial land was out of the question unless we lived in a mobile/manufactured home. Glad to have gotten this place which actually has a decent sized yard vs being attached in a townhouse. Older places under 250 didn't have any bigger lots. It is a corner lot as well so at least no immediate neighbor out the kitchen window. Though subject to the subdivision traffic going by.

We got a model so it comes with established yard, landscaping, blinds, fencing, sprinklers, alarm system, and even a/c which is a rarity. And at a discount because it was the model. Funny how that works.

No HOA but yes there are CC&Rs which should hopefully keep the neighborhood nice. Not sure how those get enforced without an HOA anyway though. After living with these rental neighbors for a year I welcome it...

Last edited by notnamed; 06-27-2016 at 01:25 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 01:21 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
Market value of my home dropped about 15% in the '07 - '09 period so the increase of late is really just getting it back to where it was. Unfortunately the appraisal office seems to be quicker on the plus sign than the minus sign so the taxable value is higher than it has ever been.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:35 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
This state needs a personal income tax, offset by lowered sales and property taxes, to distribute the eggs among several baskets. That way, the pain is felt across more people and less unevenly.
I totally agree with this in theory, except the "offset by lowered sales and property taxes" ain't ever gonna happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's legal, but it's not terribly patriotic. It's a loophole to avoid paying your fair share, and putting your own wallet before your country (and state).
I'm not sure that this is true. The Use Tax is a legal tax requirement - but the IRS doesn't have the resources to audit every Tom, Dick, and Harry that dodges it every time they sneak a TV bought in OR into WA.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I'm not sure that this is true. The Use Tax is a legal tax requirement - but the IRS doesn't have the resources to audit every Tom, Dick, and Harry that dodges it every time they sneak a TV bought in OR into WA.
Or online purchase with no tax collected.

IRS is not involved in state taxes.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:22 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Or online purchase with no tax collected.

IRS is not involved in state taxes.
You're right - I should have said whatever the state equivalent of the IRS is - the state Auditor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington